Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

Bar

It was reported recently that the British American Racing team may be facing problems in relation to their new gearbox on the 007 with speculation that it was a form of CVT, (continuously variable transmission) which is banned under FIA regulations.

However, the team has now revealed that the FIA has given their stamp of approval to their system, which allows Jenson Button and Takuma Sato to change gears with virtually no break in power, something which is sure to give them the edge in the upcoming 2005 championship season.

"We have been told by the FIA that everything is legal, and there is nothing wrong with the gearbox," Shuhei Nakamoto, engineering director for Honda Racing Development, told Autosport. "I think we have made good progress on the gearbox. Of course the gearbox of Ferrari is superb, upshift and downshift, but I think we have got better then them on the upshift.

Hypothetical Scenario.

Assuming instead of BAR it is Ferrari. Everybody would have said this is another Consipracy between Ferrari & FIA.

because whenever something illegal is on the Ferrari, it always passes under the FIA's nose, and is then made legal.

Its wherever MS goes actually, Benetton had a case of getting away with illegal aids in 94/95

hmmmm!

Shame that Ferrari can get away with murder! I hate the fact that the FIA and Ferrari are bum chums!

When Ferrari got too good for their competition, they earned alot of enemies! But they have run their cycle of success with military resolve and they will go down fighting (not crying to FIA).

You realise that the advocates of rule changes are now embarrased because it's become more expensive! If they had just put their heads down and gotten to work, I am sure last season would have seen the emergence of a new winning cycle - but too much time is spent looking at what Ferrari are doing instead of getting on with their buisness!!

and whats this i hear about Ferrari beening the only team to have not singed a contract saying that Minardi can race the first 3 races with a 2004 spec car. there 5 sec off the pace last year so now they will be 3 sec off the pase and thats not going to get them points not is it.

Why am I not surprised.

Paul has been so vocal about FIA showing favourtism to Ferrari and also being the spokesperson for the remainder 8 teams.

haha did you guys here the report of f1racing.net (its called Stoddart for President!? on Feb 11) and it talks about how he should go for Max Mosley Job and Max's reply was "Paul and Minardi know more than anyone about slowing a car down."

how bad is that if i worked at Minardi i whould wont to nock him out. that statment is going to get throwen back into Max Mosleys face if minardi do half alright this year.

unlikely minardi will be half-alright tho unfortunately! it's typical max, discrediting his opponents with bitchy comments. he's a real toff nob. i'm sick of his bs.

i also read stoddart is planning a confrontation at melbourne by running his 2004 cars without having permission from all the other 9 teams (guess which team said no). he believes the 05 regs aren't legally binding and therefore he can legally run his 2004 cars. of course this means that technically all other 9 teams would be running illegal cars then. should be interesting to see what happens come melbourne.

all teams agree with PS running the '04 cars except....yep, Ferrari, and of course Tweedle Dee himself, Mad Max Mosley has told Minardi they will be disqualified if they run the cars without Ferrari agreeing. I feel if PS wasn't the head honcho of those against Ferrari/FIA this wouldn't have been an issue since the '05 spec cars are running very close to last years times, whilst Minardi will not threaten with their current car. FIA/Ferrari are both just telling PS to go and get f'd by not allowing them to race.

There was an interview with PS on the radio today here in Aus. He basically read out the rules which he believes were brought in illegally (refer to Taku's post on the whole G9 V Ferrari article for more detail) and how he's got lawyers ready and willing to pounce if they were DQ'd. If this happens it'll go to the courts, just what F1 doesn't need, but if that's what it takes to stick it to the FIA and that pompous bunch at Ferrari, Im all for it.

I agree, its typical of ferrari to be the only ones to not agree though, its quite clear they don't care for the sport.

I think like in any buisness, natural law should prevail. If he is ill equiped for F1 - then he should find another sport or stop being sturbon and sell Minardi instead of begging for different consideration. When you have one set of rules for some and another for the strugglers then the whole thing becomes a joke. PS put in his request to use the 2004 spec car immediately the rules were announced claiming he is always 3-5 sec behind the grid anyway, so it should make no difference. He never bothered to try and build a 2005 car and had no intention to. If he is in such trouble why doesn't he sell? Jaguar & Jordan are perfect cases to show there are investors ready to come into F1.

Next he will request to be exempt from qualifying and to be placed in front of the grid because his cars are the slowest! Arrows folded and no one was happy with that - but it's a better scenario than trying to accommodate a team unwilling or unable to run with the regulations. F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of motor sports - you either have the muscle to do it or you don't. If you don't then you should clear way for those who can - personally I think we need Minardi sold to a serious investor immediately, then we can deal with issues of cost and regulation when all the teams are sound and healthy. Giving PS what he wants will only buy him a season, the fans might find entertainment in seeing the cars smoke and trapped in gravel but that is all we can expect. Next season he will be moaning about something else!

heh isn't there a rule that F1 has to have 20 cars per race, under the concord agreement?

yes you make very good points ksajoe, but sato's point is the most important and relevant for 2005. the fact is the other teams need minardi on the grid this year, and that's why they agreed to allow minardi dispensation to run the 04 cars.

they don't see why they should make minardi's life more difficult than it already is, seeing that they never threaten anyone anyway. you can't say he never bothered to build a 2005 car when he didn't know what engine to put into it. it is just that ferrari and max are p**sed off at how vocal stoddart has been and do not wish to make his life any easier. let's not hide behind the kind of self-righteous bs that ferrari and max would spout. i think you honestly believe what you are saying, but it's pretty obvious if that came out of the mouth of todt or max it would be bs. you must seriously look at his motives instead of dismissing him as being a self-interested risktaker whose gamble didn't pay off. he's been shafted on more than one occasion and is now fighting back. now that max is siding with ferrari, unfortunately, they will do their best to destroy him. this is what is happening right before our eyes.

Don't get me wrong. We need Minardi on the grid! I think ultimately he will be allowed to race but somebody has got to tell him that that is not the way forward. Unfortunately the other eight teams cannot tell him this because he is their spokesman. Ferrari are condemned if they speak or remain silent. I think PS should approach Ferrari for engines for 2006 and beyond, since Sauber will not be needing them. But more importantly he should get an investor and go the Jordan/Redbull way - we cannot have him in the same shape in 2006 and even if the concorde agreement specifys 20 cars, I never support anyone just to make the numbers!!

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned?

Getting back to BARs gear box, there new system isnt anything special, because if i remember correctly Max Mosely said that there are 3 other teams on the grid that use a similar system, the tems wopuld probably be mclaren, ferrari and renault.....

I think like in any buisness, natural law should prevail. If he is ill equiped for F1 - then he should find another sport or stop being sturbon and sell Minardi instead of begging for different consideration. When you have one set of rules for some  and another for the strugglers then the whole thing becomes a joke. PS put in his request to use the 2004 spec car immediately the rules were announced claiming he is always 3-5 sec behind the grid anyway, so it should make no difference. He never bothered to try and build a 2005 car and had no intention to. If he is in such trouble why doesn't he sell? Jaguar & Jordan are perfect cases to show there are investors ready to come into F1.

Next he will request to be exempt from qualifying and to be placed in front of the grid because his cars are the slowest! Arrows folded and no one was happy with that - but it's a better scenario than trying to accommodate a team unwilling or unable to run with the regulations. F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of motor sports - you either have the muscle to do it or you don't. If you don't then you should clear way for those who can - personally I think we need Minardi sold to a serious investor immediately, then we can deal with issues of cost and regulation when all the teams are sound and healthy. Giving PS what he wants will only buy him  a season, the fans might find entertainment in seeing the cars smoke and trapped in gravel but that is all we can expect. Next season he will be moaning about something else!

That was a good point that you made and so I have chaged my stance about this post.

Ksajoe: Minardi are building a 2005 car its just not going to run untill Imola because a small team like minardi needs the rules to be set well befour the end of the year so that they car build the car. Ps said that the plans of the car have been made since November but they did not wont to build untill the rules are set in stone and thats what they did and not minardi have sprnt all there money on the new car so they cant make the PS04b a 2005 spec car for 3 racers because they have no money to do that with.

ooohh and Minardi dont have the 30 Million that they will need to buy Ferraris engines so it going to be Toyota or Ford.

Ferrari engines will most probably go to Midland. My tip is that Minardi will stay with Cosworth as they are now getting top spec engines, same as RBR, and will probably be preferred over RBR as they have made their intentions clear that they want to change engines next year.