Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

Button Predicts Ferrari Decline

Jenson Button says Ferrari's reign as Formula One's top team is destined to come to an end and he aims to play his part in their downfall in 2005.

The BAR driver told BBC Radio Five Live: "Ferrari have been on top for a long time and it can't stay like that.

"Williams have been on top for three or four years at a time, the same for McLaren. It doesn't last 10 years.

"My goal for this season is to stand on top of the podium and look down on Michael (Schumacher)."

Schumacher has won five of his seven world drivers' titles with Ferrari and there appears to be no sign of a let-up in the partnership's drive for success ahead of the new season.

But Button says he has had enough of finishing behind the German.

I think if you put a driver like Kimi Raikkonen or Juan Pablo Montoya into his position with a team like Ferrari then they would have done exactly the same

Jenson Button on Michael Schumacher's success

He told the Des Meets... programme: "2005 for us is a season where we need to start winning races.

"Last year was an exceptional season for the (BAR) team, getting 11 podiums, but this year we really need to start fighting with Ferrari and challenging for race wins."

The Englishman also admits he would relish the chance to drive for the Italian outfit and believes if he was in a Ferrari then he would be the number one.

Asked who would be the best driver if everyone was in a Ferrari, Button said: "I'd say myself. However, we will never know because we will not always be in the same car.

"F1 is a big team effort - it is not just the driver. There is an engine, chassis, aerodynamics. There is so much to it."

Ferrari unveil new car

"If I had an option to be with the top team in the world, 100% (I'd take it). I think everyone would do." he said.

Button also believes McLaren duo Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen could both have matched Schumacher's achievements with Ferrari.

"I think Michael has the best equipment at the moment. But that is down to him - he has really got the team around him and got the right people in place," he added.

"He is the seven-time world champion, that's the difference.

"But I think if you put a driver like Kimi Raikkonen or Juan Pablo Montoya into his position with a team like Ferrari then they would have done exactly the same

"But I think if you put a driver like Kimi Raikkonen or Juan Pablo Montoya into his position with a team like Ferrari then they would have done exactly the same

To which I completly agree. I Know and agree that MS is superior, but he is not GOD as some may try to portray. He has the best equipment and the team to support and the talent and what else does one to need to?

"Asked who would be the best driver if everyone was in a Ferrari, Button said: "I'd say myself. However, we will never know because we will not always be in the same car." "

lol, he al;ways has to glorify himself dosnt he, its really amusing! lol, then again i wont disagree there! lol

Anyways i think he got that in one, MS has only been soo dominent because he has a team built around him, and a teamate that does everything people tell him to do, including slowing down to let MS win a race!

And maybe with the whole threat thing, there might be somthing in the BAR camp we dont know, we have seen it can be ultra-quick, but also unreliable. Maybe somthing has been hidden from us, and they are not all they seem!

Everytime someone claims Schumi is only good because he is in the best car is to ignore the fact that Ferrari had not won a WC since 1979 and it took Schumi five years to bring it back to Ferrari. And when he wasn't winning in clearly a less fast and unreliable car from 96-99, he consistantly fought for the title. Even the Benneton wasn't fastest and when he left, look how other drivers did in the same or better car.

So the question is can Button, Montoya or Kimi transform a team like Schumi. I doubt that. They haven't done it yet, not even close.

as i said he has the team built around him, to his specs, and the team have just been kicked up the a## by him to produce him with a good car, and they have the best tech teams, a quick ultra reliable car. They are just brilliant, and MS yes is a brilliant driver, but i think in an even race with identical cars he would not do as good!

Everytime someone claims Schumi is only good because he is in the best car is to ignore the fact that Ferrari had not won a WC since 1979 and it took Schumi five years to bring it back to Ferrari. And when he wasn't winning in clearly a less fast and unreliable car from 96-99, he consistantly fought for the title. Even the  Benneton wasn't fastest and when he left, look how other drivers did in the same or better car.

So the question is can Button, Montoya or Kimi transform a team like Schumi. I doubt that. They haven't done it yet, not even close.

I agee with your point, and hats off to MS for where is now. my question would be, say Alonso, Kimi, MS, JPM & Button drive the same car. ( example Ferrari) Perhaps MS will win, but it is certainly not going to be cake walk for him, he will made to sweat it out, and spill his last drop of blood to win the race.

as i said he has the team built around him, to his specs, and the team have just been kicked up the a## by him to produce him with a good car, and they have the best tech teams, a quick ultra reliable car. They are just brilliant, and MS yes is a brilliant driver, but i think in an even race with identical cars he would not do as good!

Nowhere near as good

well i wudnt go that far, but although we all hate him, we have to be honest he is somthing spectacular, its mostly due to the team hes built around him but hats off to him!

For all his big mouth - JB says that if KR or JPM had a Ferrari they would have done the same thing Michael has done. Curiously he does not put himself in that equation (maybe the lad knows his limitations!!).

And yes, while we still debate about MS - he is the 7XWDC and you cannot fluke that! Obviously he has the best possible team behind him (such as we may never see assembled again in our life time!)

He is the best of the current crop. If there was anybody better than him they would have beaten him by now. Comparing him to Senna (my Hero) is a total waste of space. We have to work with the cards in our hands - and Senna is not one of them. Schumacher is not that good, the others are hopeless!!

best my arse, best team more like and a good driver.

I think kimi button alonso and jpm are pretty damn close if not better than him!

best my arse, best team more like and a good driver.

I think kimi button alonso and jpm are pretty damn close if not better than him!

Hey, they have their 19 races of fame to do it! Or remain the bunch of clowns they have been.

He is the best of the current crop. If there was anybody better than him they would have beaten him by now. Comparing him to Senna (my Hero) is a total waste of space. We have to work with the cards in our hands - and Senna is not one of them. Schumacher is not that good, the others are hopeless!!

You

clowns, you wish, your gonna see schumi in his true colours this year, he wont have the run away wins this year cos he is up against top drivers in more competative cars!

The Williams/Maclarens of 2003 were good enough cars to win the championship. They badly missed the human element to secure the crown. If Senna, Lauda, Schumacher, Mansell were driving any of those machines they would have take the championship that year.

Schumacher is abit better than we give him credit for!

Neither he nor Senna are or were gods as some people like to believe.

but they are ****ing close to being gods! Senna at least!

At the end of the day it's only a sport! And off season proves to us we can survive without it - but it's a welcome hobby!

but they are ****ing close to being gods! Senna at least!

He became a legend...I miss him...

Shumacher will be a legend when he leaves the sport...