Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

New Rules For 2005. Did It Work?

The tyre manufacturers have been working hard over the winter to make sure the tyres last and last they did. This was aided by many of the teams, including Ferrari, opting for the harder, more durable tyre. The Renault is so kind to its tyres it

I do not know if the show has improved for the fans at all. The mixed grid had very little to do with the rules and everything to do with the weather. I suspect that tyres were fairing much better under the cooler temperatures than expected and it's not a reflection of how the rest of the season will work out. I think we will see alot of teams struggle with tyres in Malaysia, and we might hopefully see the much anticipated changing of positions in the clossing stages!

i hope you're right. i think i will share your optimism for know ksajoe. i was in melbourne the thurs & fri before the gp, and it was very cool. malaysia will be a whole different story! hopefully we will see the tyre drop-off. this could be bad news for those teams that were fading even in melb. ie toyota, sauber and even bar :( .

yeah as i said, they have not cut costs at all, or made the sport any safer, and i really hope they do not reduce the engines to 2.6 litre V8's cos thats gonna cost the engine makers hassle and extra costs too, and i think F1 being any slower would be pretty naff, its supposed to be the fastest most developed racing beasts on earth, not tame ones that are half of what they used to be! No i do not like the proposed ideas at all!

Exactly, they are going to go to far, and i'll stop being a fan next year if V8's come in, which they are suppose to....

and they will!! Along with tyre wear, I'm expecting 2 to 3 engine blowups.

yeah as i said, they have not cut costs at all, or made the sport any safer, and i really hope they do not reduce the engines to 2.6 litre V8's cos thats gonna cost the engine makers hassle and extra costs too, and i think F1 being any slower would be pretty naff, its supposed to be the fastest most developed racing beasts on earth, not tame ones that are half of what they used to be! No i do not like the proposed ideas at all!

Exactly.

Its just all a complete load of crap. I used to hate Flavio but I have to agree with him, F1 badly needs to be simplified. Qualifying is s##t & we really should go back to 12-lap format, with 1 flying lap in each quarter of the hour (to avoid 30mins of no action). Tyres lasting whole race has ruined everything, cos no-one wants to overtake. Simple: just have 1 tyre manufacturer. 2-engine rule p**ses me off too, with teams 'retiring' their cars before the end, its ridiculous. Nice to see you all again I hope you missed me. Good to see Ferrari fail, looks like Schuey's driving tactics don't change

Its just all a complete load of crap. I used to hate Flavio but I have to agree with him, F1 badly needs to be simplified. Qualifying is s##t & we really should go back to 12-lap format, with 1 flying lap in each quarter of the hour (to avoid 30mins of no action). Tyres lasting whole race has ruined everything, cos no-one wants to overtake. Simple: just have 1 tyre manufacturer. 2-engine rule p**ses me off too, with teams 'retiring' their cars before the end, its ridiculous. Nice to see you all again I hope you missed me. Good to see Ferrari fail, looks like Schuey's driving tactics don't change

yeah i agree. i used to hate flav too, but recently he's been quite refreshing. his comments about kimi's 'problems' and the f1 system is just what's needed. i still think he's a w#nker for the mind-f*cking he pulls on drivers though. and ferrari haven't failed rb wa quite impressive. was great to see m$ fail though! and with his chop on heidfeld you certainly can't teach an old dog new tricks! :lol:

they were. They were very ragged on Saturday. I was on Brocky's Hill at the Turn 11/12 left/right and they were really on the edge, as were the Jordans, but the Minardi's were worse.

Ah I suspect the Jordan was ragged because our boy was jus driving the wheels of the car. :lol:

we really should go back to 12-lap format, with 1 flying lap in each quarter of the hour (to avoid 30mins of no action).

I am in complete agreement especially to the 1 flying lap per quarter hour.

yes jemstride it is nice to have u back and i agree again with what you say! But what im most against is the engine size changes so if taht does happen next year ill be soo p**sed off i think id actully go to the fia headquarters, try find max, and beat the absolute s##t out of him.

And yes flav i still a w#nker but he too has some very good points

very true Shadow, Narain was on the edge every lap and even lost it a few times on Saturday, twice in front of me!! But it shows he's willing to put everything into it and drove well on Sunday. A lack of testing also doesn't help Narain's situation, but with all the cash Shnaider is gonna put in, he and Tiago should get a few extra days testing than if they were still the old Jordan.

Can someone tell me as to why the FIA introduced new rules to slow down the pace of the car?

'cause in F1 pace matters, and that's why it is called motorsports, any rationale behind this, can someone shed some light on this subject.....

Did anyone catch Chatlie Whiting's comments in the March issue of F1 Racing Magazine? He was asked whether teams would retire their cars if they were out of the points just so they could use a new engine for the next race and he said (and I quote):

"There's nothing to prevent teams from stopping deliberately on the last lap but every finishing position counts in the final constructors' championship reckoning if two teams are tied on points. That's enough of a deterrent."

Charlie mate, I think the very first race of the season has shown that that is utter crap.

The after this weeks race, go alonso. the engines blowing up idea is out the window unless you are BAR who both had new engines anyway but for the fans the cars are spending much less time on the track over the weekend to save on the engine wear. I really miss tyre changes in the racing this is a big loss to the overall excitement of a race for me added something more to the race complexity. As for cost saving that is turning out to be the biggest joke ever the only good thing is we are seeing a bit more competition but renault and toyoto would have got to these levels anyway.

As for 2.4L V8's next year i think alot of fans will be very unhappy. They try so hard to slow the cars down and make savings so the small teams can stay in it but that is not what forumla one is about it is meant to be the best so make it the best screw minardi and jordan they would have a better chance of getting better if things stopped changing every five minutes

My two Bob

Can someone tell me as to why the FIA introduced new rules to slow down the pace of the car?

'cause in F1 pace matters, and that's why it is called motorsports, any rationale behind this, can someone shed some light on this subject.....

it was about safety apparently *shrugs

whilst at the same time they introduced the one tyre a race rule which no doubt means the risk of a tyre blow-out is significantly higher. one of many contradictoy rule changes..

The cars were fast approaching speeds that would have been to high for the current design of circuits - making it more dangerous for the drivers as any crash, even with the improved safety in the cars, would almost certainly be terminal!

The after this weeks race, go alonso. the engines blowing up idea is out the window unless you are BAR who both had new engines anyway but for the fans the cars are spending much less time on the track over the weekend to save on the engine wear. I really miss tyre changes in the racing this is a big loss to the overall excitement of a race for me added something more to the race complexity. As for cost saving that is turning out to be the biggest joke ever the only good thing is we are seeing a bit more competition but renault and toyoto would have got to these levels anyway.

As for 2.4L V8's next year i think alot of fans will be very unhappy. They try so hard to slow the cars down and make savings so the small teams can stay in it but that is not what forumla one is about it is meant to be the best so make it the best screw minardi and jordan they would have a better chance of getting better if things stopped changing every five minutes

My two Bob

My two Bob

I Disagree inregards to the idea that the new tyre reg. has made the racing less exciting. The racing has been quite interesting so far as the race gets into the last 20 laps or so we start seeing which drivers have looked after their tyres and how hard their willing to push their car for points.

Mind you i do strongly agree with the notion that a change to 2.4l V8's will be a joke!!!!I'm one of those fans that will be $@##ed off!!! Formula 1 is about the noise and speed. It's the pinicle of motorracing. If the smaller teams can't keep alive in the sport then thats too bad!!! what's new? Teams have come and gone throughout the years and they will continue to do so.