Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

F1 Drivers Could Learn From Nascar Drivers

I was watching the Nextel Cup this afternoon. Dale Earnhardt Jr, just 12 laps into the race, slammed into Brian Vickers and triggered a five-car wreck that also took two other drivers out of contention.

What took me suprise was, as soon as both the drivers were back in the paddock, they were met immeditely by a TV crew for an interview, and this is what Dale Jr. had to say:

"He just got in there a little easier than I expected him to and I got all over him. It's a big mistake on my part and I apologized to him,''.

I was shocked to hear a driver apologising to another for a racing incident ( mind you this was a racing incident) Dale made a mistake and it was not intentional.

In my mind I recreated the MS vs NH stunt, and clearly someone was at fault, but instead of apologising, he was being very defensive. I also rememeber another incident (can't remember the race) MS & DC collided and MS marched in to Mclarens garage to pickup a fight with DC.

All involved are racing drivers and some have class and the others....

yep hear what you say but in F1 and more particular with M.S. he is the PERFECT race DRIVER, never makes a mistake and NEVER causes anyone else to spin off the track. Well this is in M.S.'s dreams in reality he probably could be considered the WORST driver to pass when he is in Mid Field, as one would not know when he will "Slam the Door Shut", but somehow he never gets booked ?????

Don't you think its boring when they apologise? It was Belgium 1998 when MS hit DC and thought DC was trying to kill him so he returned the favour! I don't think F1 drivers can learn much from the NASCAR drivers though. They make so many mistakes they have to be good at apologising. Its just part of the job. Like putting on your overalls.

Watch the night race at Bristol. Hell, 3 years ago there was a case of ambulance abuse and a few gestures at other cars. Night race in 1999...soo many memories...

Don't you think its boring when they apologise?  It was Belgium 1998 when MS hit DC and thought DC was trying to kill him so he returned the favour!  I don't think F1 drivers can learn much from the NASCAR drivers though.  They make so many mistakes they have to be good at apologising.  Its just part of the job.  Like putting on your overalls.

Point taken. I'm not saying that F1 drivers will have to hug and make up, but atleast there needs to a level of accountabilty.

I started watching Nascar only recently, I mean look at the number times the lead changes hand. The excitment at the pit stop, and the TV coverage etc are fantastic.

If im up early enough FOX Sports often has some NASCAR on but i usually only watch it for 5 minutes and get bored and turn it on the simpsons or something.

Now that's a hard choice, Simpsons or Nascar, Simpsons or Nascar....ummm I'm with you Sato, Simpsons it is!!

I started watching Nascar only recently, I mean look at the number times the lead changes hand. The excitment at the pit stop, and the TV coverage etc are fantastic.

:huh:

Because there

Not I, neither. Its very exciting but its all staged. I do wonder how fit they have to be? If the answer is not very I think they bring the good name of motor racing into disrepute and wish they'd retire.

Not I, neither.  Its very exciting but its all staged.  I do wonder how fit they have to be?  If the answer is not very I think they bring the good name of motor racing into disrepute and wish they'd retire.

why do drivers have to be fit for it to be motor racing?? i've no interest in nascar but i it's not becuase the drivers enjoy fast food. hell before this year montoya was the same.

nascar is just unrefined, and that's why i don't have an interest. it's like v8 supercasrs in austtralia. it's just not fascinating teh way f1 is. i'll watch it for a while if it's on, but i'm not gonna spend every spare minute of my day scraping the net looking for the lastest news! :D

why do drivers have to be fit for it to be motor racing??  i've no interest in nascar but i it's not becuase the drivers enjoy fast food.  hell before this year montoya was the same.

nascar is just unrefined, and that's why i don't have an interest.  it's like v8 supercasrs in austtralia.  it's just not fascinating teh way f1 is.  i'll watch it for a while if it's on, but i'm not gonna spend every spare minute of my day scraping the net looking for the lastest news! :D

Yeah, and if you spent a whole day researching on Nascar you might get more than your season worth of information (there isn't much really!) B)

I got cable recently, so took the opportunity to watch the last couple of Nascar races, and have to say I'm not impressed its very boring and the races are far too long. Plus the commentators have annoying southern (USA) accents. And by the way, why on earth would u want f1 drivers to be friendly??? Arguments are great!

Those commentators remind me of the othe joke from America, WWF! And to think America wants to be taken seriously! :lol:

Have to admit I love WWE, its a big joke and just a laugh but I watch it just for the comedy of the whole thing. Seen it live a couple of times, and it really is pretty special when you're in the arena, great atmosphere!! But yeah I agree USA is a joke. They're so proud of themselves, when they haven't actually ever done anything good for anyone, and 90% of the world hates them!! Plus they're fat

why do drivers have to be fit for it to be motor racing??  i've no interest in nascar but i it's not becuase the drivers enjoy fast food.  hell before this year montoya was the same.

nascar is just unrefined, and that's why i don't have an interest.  it's like v8 supercasrs in austtralia.  it's just not fascinating teh way f1 is.  i'll watch it for a while if it's on, but i'm not gonna spend every spare minute of my day scraping the net looking for the lastest news! :D

I never said a lack of fitness stopped it being motor racing but it makes it much less interesting for me because I want to watch the most professional and dedicated sportsmen in the world not overweight middle-aged men driving/crashing. Unfit/unskilled men trying to race just give motor racing a bad name/image imo. I think some car TV shows do that too: there's something a bit pathetic about men getting obsessed about which is the best people carrier on the market.

Every other driver in F1 is extremely fit and I think Montoya was fitter than we might think before. In fact his fitness did hold him back - its not as if his record at Williams was that good. He knows that to match Raikkonen in equal machinery he will have to be much fitter and I hope Raikkonen teaches him a leason about fitness.

Well because it creates a performance advantage

Btw just noticed the PlanetF1 article about JB saying how important fitness will be in Sepang. Apparently one year he lost his water bottle and he describes the effect the dehydration had: he started shivering and sweating profusely and then apparently your vision starts to go. He also says that they breath heavily all round the track here. Now thats what sport is all about!

Those commentators remind me of the othe joke from America, WWF! And to think America wants to be taken seriously! :lol:

Nascar came from Southern roots, which is why you have two of the commentators with southern accents, and both were in Nascar for a considerable time. and Im from the south, and we aren't rednecks.