Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

Dc And Schumi Clash Over Stewards

David Coulthard has questioned the wisdom of Michael Schumacher's push-start from a dangerous position during the Australian Grand Prix, two weeks ago.

The German called trackside officials to push him back on track after clashing with Nick Heidfeld's Williams.

But DC suggested, in the pre-Malaysian GP press conference, that it put the marshals in unnecessary danger.

"At one point there were about four or five marshals running from where, several years ago, a marshal was killed.

"[They ran] across the racing line to give him a push, for a privileged service - he'd obviously paid his valet parking ticket beforehand."

Heidfeld retired from the race on the spot.

Coulthard, who finished fourth in Melbourne, explained that the corner in question was a particularly dangerous place to have people working on track.

"I'm not saying you don't want cars on the track, because when there's only 20 cars out there, you need them all running but I know how difficult that corner is," he said.

"If a driver did make a mistake, you could, even with a yellow flag, end up sliding off into somewhere."

Schumacher responded by saying there was nothing wrong with his actions.

"I don't think it's valid because I think the marshals are there in order to let the race go on," he shrugged.

"It's within the rules."

"I would think it rather stupid if it's not possible for drivers to see (the yellow flags)."

gotta say I go along with D.C. but M.S. is always on top of the rules and as I see it that is the rule, that providing the engine is still running , marshals can push him back on the track !

BUT as soon as a Marshal's safety is threatened there will be a turn around of this rule , just like the 2 race engine debarcle at Melbourne

Seems somehow the rule makers don't investigate all the possibilities when making these rules ???

Yes, and this isn't the 1st time Michael (GOD) has asked the stewarts to give him a push and they are just too happy to oblige. And last year, when JPM rammed into the back of him (and deservedly so) I was just livid when he drove his limping car into his garage

Remember, a marshal died a couple of years ago in that very corner and its not fair for Michael, after making a stupid error in a totally uninspiring race for him, to ask marshals to risk their lives just so that he can rejoin a race well down the field.

Senna, do you know how that Marshall died, what happenet etc...

thanks

Senna, do you know how  that Marshall died, what happenet etc...

thanks

I think he is talking about the marshall who died in the 2001 accident when Villenueve crashed Ralf and the BAR flew to the espectators...really nasty accident.

yeah one of JV's wheels managed to hit a marshall at the corner in 2001, really bad moment :(

one of the worst I've seen, eerily similar to Gilles' fatal accident. But as for the issue at hand, M$ was not in a dangerous position, but I guess since Ferrari make the rules and obviously see themselves as being above the law they will do as they please, and not give a stuff re. the consequences, well done to DC for putting M$ in his place.