Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

Renault Won, But Mclaren Faster...

Renault once again looked dominant, but Kimi Raikkonen actually steered the fastest lap in Sunday's Malaysian grand prix.

Race winner Fernando Alonso, in fact, managed only the fourth-best time -- a significant half-second slower than the leading McLaren.

In a grand prix evaluation, though, renaultf1.com said the lap chart 'doesn't tell the whole story.'

Indeed, the best 'ideal' lap - taken by combining fastest sectors - belonged to Spain's Alonso.

But Renault maintains that McLaren, when the MP4-20 gets clear air in a grand prix, will 'have the pace to fight at the front.

''The battle ... will be tighter than ever,'' renaultf1.com predicted.

well the Renault was faster overall that is what matters. the Mclaren though seems to have potencial: 1.two very good drivers

2.a competitive car. And besides KR gave me 5 points in PPP :lol:

I owe KR too! But I seriously want Maclaren to puch within their weight at Bahrain. They have not really maximised on their strengths and it is shaping up to be a season where every point will count!

what worries me is that the way things are going mclaren and williams will be up the front in the next couple races, and pinch points from renault, making it easier for ferrari to blow them all away on the home straight once bridgestone get their act together.

the alternative is that we'll have 2 close championships all the way through!

The interesting statistics from the Malaysian GP are to be found in the fastest laps. Kimi actually set the fastest lap, 0.3 sec ahead of Nick who was 0.1 sec ahead of Jarno who was mere hundredths faster than Alonso

fastest laps dont mean as much now becuase there all pushing at 97% to save tyers and engine.

i agree, but they still mean a lot. of course not as much, but if you can put the times in context of when during the race it was set, and what position/lead the driver was in/had etc. what it does tell us though is who was pushing and what they can do when they are pushing. eg kimi threw all caution to the wind so you could say that if mclaren didn't top the sheets then they've got troubles.. nick also contibuted as he was pushing kimi hard at the beginning.

Yes, point taken but this is the clearest indication that McLaren does have pace. It also shows that Williams and Toyota are quick as well, which isn

The guy who clears the 1st corner in P1 controls the race pace. All they have to do is drive a steady pace and react to whatever P2 is doing. So the pressure is really on the chasing pack as they have to push , mistakes happen when you are pushing and flat-spoting seems to be the killer this season - JPM suffered that in Malaysia and we will see more and more. Driver's pushed abit more in Sepang compared to Oz and we can expect even more in Bahrain this weekend!

Saving tyres is a trciky rule.This affects sometimes the overall thrust for the driver to push hard.So the clear way is to push harder during qualifying then try hold ur position and move up slowly.Also so far we are still in hotter conditions.Most of the races are going to be in colder conditions Also more new parts will come for Mclaren and F2005.so we donno how these guys will perform.Better to say Get P1 in qualifying.

They raced in colder conditions in Melbourne and then in hot conditions in Malaysia, so we

The last thing Maclaren need is an injured Montoya.The GPs consecutively without anything to show for it will begin to hurt them badly! Renault are currently on track in their quest to dethrone Ferrari - they are fast and consistent!

Yeah apparently i heard the MET office has said there will be a record breaking heat wave in the UK, that will be cool!!!!

I think the renault has shown itself to be able to be quick competative and quite faultless in both the heat and the cool!

toyota are aslo very good in teh heat. i read mike said that malaysia probably flattered the team a bit because everything clicked, whereas in melbourne nothing did. this suggests the car enjoys teh warm temperatures. odd, but that's what he was effectively saying! looks like toyota will be good again in bahrain.

flat-spotting: what happens to a front tyre when locking up under brakes. the result is a sudden, uneven tyre wear concentrated in the one location on the tyre that has contact with the road at teh time of locking up. hence the term flat spot.

can someone tell me what flat spotting mean?

The term is given to the area of a tyre that is worn heavily on one spot after a moment of extreme braking or in the course of a spin. This ruins its handling and often causing severe vibration.