Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kaciaj

Button Quickest Of The Race Drivers On Prac1

Friday practice 1 finished one hour ago and what we have seen is a dramatical improvement by BAR...Behind the test drivers (as always) De La Rosa and Zonta,Jenson Button was the quickest of the regular race drivers while team mate Takuma Sato was the third (6th overall).....The Renaults didn't take part in the session....

They only did a few laps though, so probably to just get a time up more than anything. It's the speed they will have over a racing distance that worries me.

good to see JV close to massa and fewer laps. could this be the improvement fans are looking for

Hi all, Whats more positive for Button is that he only seemed to pop the quick lap in at the end. Schumacher ran 14 Laps in comparison and others many more. The testers can run the engines wide open today. Also Sato did the same. I think BAR are quietly confident in their new found speed this weekend. I hope the car holds together and they don't f*** up their strategy for qualifying and the race.

traditionally BAR goes for heavy fuel loads for qualy and prefer 2 stops! I dont know if we will see this or not as quali position is crucial in Imola! Hopefully JB does good, a podium i dont think is off the question! Lets wait till the next few practices then ill post my ppp

Well he has already gone faster in the second session so hopefully things are looking up! :)

yeah exactly, really early on too! within the 1st 10 mins, so thats good!!!

Im really hopeful his cra dosnt break in anyway this weekend!!!

I know it is only friday,but it is shaping up to be a fantastic race. Good news for JV fans is that he isnt the length of pit straight behind massa, and infact if you look at his best sector times his optimum lap is faster than massa. Lets hope it continues

I don't know how far it is true I remember reading long time back somewhere, that Friday practise sessions doesn't mean much. However, Saturyday practise sessions will indicate where the cars stand , as in the first practise session on Saturday the drivers go with race fuel load, and in the second session the fuel load will be for qualfying.

If this is true, then we will know by tommorow as to where exactly BAR & Ferrari stand.

good to see JV close to massa and fewer laps.  could this be the improvement fans are looking for

Indeed but he has to do that in aggregate qualifying

Didn't Jenson set his fast lap early in the session? I missed the last 15mins but I think it was in his first 4 laps.

Yeah as Monty says, ususally teams will run two (or three with third drivers) different setups on Friday, one on each car. One is usually lighter, the other heavy, with low and higher downforce settings particularly this year with no tire changes. Come Saturday they'll go with the most promising data and/or combine it for the final race setup.

However, it's looking real good. Pretty confident of Renault to not really run at all on Friday, especially Alonso. Toyota seems to back midpack too.

Very true but it is more hopeful than it has been all year, and yes bar are looking on the up

Indeed, JV is very familiar with the Imola circuit and is gaining more and more experience all the time so it is expected that he will close the gap further to Massa. If he can maintain the form he displayed in practice he would silence most of his critics

Indeed, JV is very familiar with the Imola circuit and is gaining more and more experience all the time so it is expected that he will close the gap further to Massa.  If he can maintain the form he displayed in practice he would silence most of his critics

Toyota seems to back midpack too.

One of thing I've noticed of Toyota is, that they are generally quite on Fridays, and then saturday they appear to firing on all cylinders.

wondering if todays postion reflects the same scenario?

One of thing I've noticed of Toyota is, that they are generally quite on Fridays, and then saturday they appear to firing on all cylinders.

wondering if todays postion reflects the same scenario?

Zonta was second fastest...

The pace of the race drivers needs to be considered in the context of the number of laps they have done and their Friday priorities (checking systems and getting a feel for the track but not setting a fast time).