Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daz

Proposed regulations for next year

What do you all think of the propsed regulations for next year? (i.e. limiting engines etc.. to try cut costs.) Personally I think that F1 is supposed to be the height of technical innovation which therefore = big bucks. By introducing these regulations aren't they going to be limiting the innovations that can bought in and in essence just bringing the smaller teams a lot closer to the big three then. It might equal closer racing then but I really don't think thats the point of being in the top level of motorracing.

I dont see how limiting engines will limit innovation as you say.

I see it as a way to boost innovation.  Currently the big boys literally throw away their engines after qualifying and whack in a new one for the race.  These teams with money to burn will need to find ways to be quick and reliable with one engine on a race weekend.

I think it is a great idea.

I think it could allow for some interesting grids.

One question though, example 5 cars blow engines before the race, what order do those 5 start

a) highest qualifier P18 ... lowest P22

B) first to blow P18 ... last P22

c) reverse of B)

d) first to offically inform stewards P18 ... last P22

reverse of d) not an option as all will try to wait until the deadline

I dont like the one-engine proposal, it doesnt make sense to me. If they have the money then why not use it? I mean they use the qualifying engine, then put in a race engine for Sunday, but its not like they use the engines just once... Those engines go to be used in testing and such etc. if not another race after a check-up to make sure everything is in order.

They should try to allow for a closer grid , it would be alot more interesting to watch. It is not as exciting knowing that a Ferrari, Williams, or Mclaren will win unless something of a miracle happens to another team. When was the last time we saw another team than those three win, hmm, 99? Heinz-Harald Frentzen was the last driver to win in another car than a Mclaren, Williams, or Ferrari during the '99 season with Jordan and that was a long time ago. Oh no hold on, Johnny Herbert also did so in the Stewart the same season. Apart from a few races, the BIG 3 are dominant. This should be done by allowing there to be slick tyres, more mechanical grip, making sure EVERY team has access to a manufacturer-produced engine. CART for example has Honda, Toyota, and Ford making engines and I think that is what makes the racing a lot closer there. In CART there are only two different chassis from Reynard and Lola, but I think chassis should be made by teams. Something similar should be available in F1, so that there could be a Minardi-Mercedes, or an Arrows-Volkswagen or something. Then just a way to make the engines closer in strength, maybe by regulating how they can be made etc.

I wish to see more driver-to-driver racing and not a race determined by who has the better car. What if for example you put Mark Webber or Pedro de la Rosa into a Ferrari, you never know how much better or worse they would be than Schumi and such. Currently there are three, maybe four, teams capable of regularly winning races - I wish to see every driver on the grid have the chance to win a race because then the racing is much more interesting and there would be more overtaking, much more like F1 was a few years back. I think this is what Premier 1 is trying to achieve, and I believe that if they succeed then the series will be extremely successful.

Lets just think back a few years !!!!

i thik its a great idea it may make for even closer races as top teams won't be able topush as hard on used engines

I think that requiring the engine makers to be able to provide two teams with engines is the greatest news in recent years. This will ensure top quality engines through out the entire grid while still providing plenty of competition to drive innovations forward. One engine pre car per weekend should be brought in but a few years down the track, in consideration of the manufacturers. But sooner or later they've got to bring back full slicks, overtaking will happen with more mechanical grip!

Totally unrelated, congratulations Mark Webber, from a long term supporter.

i dont really know. we could have many cars not making the race???? its a tough call. but as racers we all agree on something needs to be done to make the cars more equal, more racing. we want montoya and ms passing and nose to gearbox the whole race. imagine f1 like v8 supercars?????

i loved it when ferrari won. but i get sick of this talk "oh it was the tyres"!!!!!!!!!! i wish i could tell my boss something like that.

i dont know much about the cart series but i like the idea of

I like the idea about the restriction on fuel consumption, but doesn't that go against the concept of the height of technical innovation.  So is what we are really asking for is the height of realistic and practical technical innovation.

This is a tough one. On the one hand I just love the fact that F1 is ridiculously expensive, it is what defines F1 to some extent. Supreme cutting edge innovation. How cool is it to have an engine development programme to design an engine to run 80km. The innovation is awesome.

Having said that I would love to see the lesser teams have a better chance of shaking the tree occasionally but in the current climate I just can