Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graham

Montoya Simulator Ride

Just noted that JPM used an F1 simulator (of Silverstone I think) at a London event for Allianz.  Anybody know which game that might have been?  If not, what's the best one out there now?  Many thanks.

I have no idea what game it was hooked into the simulation, it may be one specifically for it or it may have been any of the plethera of F1 games on the market now, GP3, Formula 1 2001, F1 Racing Simulator etc etc.

For my money, you cant go past Grand Prix Legends.  Sure it isnt set in the modern day, but there is nothing like nailing a lap at Spa in one of those cars.

speaking of simulators, I wonder what JV has hooked into his new climate controlled F1 simulator that he has in his yacht!?!

(Edited by jagman at 10:53 am on Aug. 8, 2001)

The only success he'll be getting on the track will be simulated...

Nice idea for a computer game, though - exact replica of his c##Kpit...the next step in computing, methinks...now, where did I put that 30 grand?

I tried the V8Supercar simulator in Darwin a couple of years ago.

Talk about rock your sox off!

From the outside it's just a big box on hydraulic rams but from inside those 1 metre movements seem to put G-force on you which lasts forever.

One word of advice.

Before doing the ride DO NOT eat a chocolate smoothie.

No doubt JPM's machine would be 5 times more realistic & would provide a fairly good training method & the FIA can't apply their testing hours criteria to it either.

I flew a 747 simulator once & it was so realistic that it even smelled like an aircraft. What a buzz.

I've flown two good aviation simulators.  One was for a Citation bizjet out at FlightSafety's operation in Long Beach (also brought back reminiscences of Reggazzoni pinballing his way around that track years ago).  Very cool simulation -- full motion, any weather, you could even feel the seams in the concrete while taxiing.  The other was at the Air National Guard base in Fresno which is the home of an F-16 unit (one of which fortunately was piloted by a cousin and good friend).  While not a motion simulator, it was just amazing to me all the things you control with just one hand (or, I should say, theoretically eventually control).  The throttle control (left hand) also has on the top of it all sorts of teeny controls I guess for armaments. Like each finger has a couple jobs.   The "stick" (right fingertips) doesn't actually move bur, rather, simply senses pressure.  All flight info is like projected in front of you and contains everything -- even a virtual runway for s##t weather.  Cool.