Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

'it Could Have Been Better,' Says Webber

'It could have been better,' says Webber

(Planetf1)

Mark Webber took third position in the Monaco GP to make it a great day for Williams with both their drivers finishing on the podium.

Despite it being his first ever podium finish Webber was not overly pleased with his result in Monte Carlo, saying: It could have been better for me but a great result for the team anyway."

In fact, he admits after a disappointing start to the season for Williams it was actually "a fantastic result to get both me and Nick on the podium."

With tyre choice having proved to be a very important part of the race the Australian driver said that he thought he had had the right tyres for the difficult Monaco course.

"I did a lot of work last week with Antonio Pizzonia testing what tyre to use here and we seemed to do a good job on that."

Starting third on the grid the 28-year-old Webber had some trouble on the line and fell into fifth position by the first corner.

"The start was very frustrating as the clutch didn't really work well at all," he added.

However, team-mate Nick Heidfeld, who started the race P6 on the grid, had little to complain about as he stormed to second place.

"I think I was just lucky when I came in earlier for the second stop and Alonso obviously had big problems with his tyres and I could get past Mark."

"The car worked really well and when we were stuck behind people I tried to save the car and engine and when I saw Alonso had some problems I just turned up the engine a bit to get past and that was it."

Well done to Mark for getting his first F1 podium but Heidfeld was more impressive in the race.

Can you believe MW...this is the guy's first podium and he whines on about bad starts, luck and all bull ****. His arrogance is just staggering.

Nick was humble, magnamanous and "over the moon" with his best ever F1 result.

The guys are chalk and cheese.

Go Nick :P

Can you believe MW...this is the guy's first podium and he whines on about bad starts, luck and all bull ****. His arrogance is just staggering.

Nick was humble, magnamanous and "over the moon" with his best ever F1 result.

The guys are chalk and cheese.

Go Nick :P

He

Well done to Mark for getting his first F1 podium but Heidfeld was more impressive in the race.

:blink:

Webber was unlucky to lose his place to Heidfeld during the pit stop sequence. I give this weekend to Mark but we shall soon see what the PF1 do.

i don't think that's arrogance

it's the pit stop that caused him a second place

who wouldn't want 2nd to 3rd??

i also rewatch the restart

and he was one of the slowest to get off

what a shame

MArk was faster all weekend, and was unlucky being held up behind Jarno and Fernando for about 70 of the 78 laps. If he hadn't been held up behind just 1 of those, he'd of beaten heidfeld convincingly.

MArk was faster all weekend, and was unlucky being held up behind Jarno and Fernando for about 70 of the 78 laps. If he hadn't been held up behind just 1 of those, he'd of beaten heidfeld convincingly.

Damn right he would have!!!!

I don't see it as arrogance, just frustration over what might have been.

How so?

Mark had much more pace than Nick - once finally released by Alonso he set his fastest lap - that shows a lot of what could have been!!! Mark drove a great race - many have previous bashed him for his ragged driving style - in Monaco he was patient and waited for a mistake - rather than throwing it away with an over adventurous move - where did that get him? A pit call from Williams and he is behind after all his efforts on Saturday and Sunday had been somewhat wasted on a clutch problem and on a pit call, so yes I would be very frustrated too.

If Nick had beaten him on pure pace then I doubt that Webber would have said the things he did.

OK its not arrogance, but when Button was angry about his Honda dying in the first races that IS arrogance, right??? Hope u aussies enjoyed having your hero Jenson commentating on the race!! I know I did! Congrats to Webber on getting 3rd but I think neither driver was paricularly more impressive than the other, both were held up for ages, but Heidfeld's overtaking was a hell of a lot better than webber's pathetic lunges which put him and alonso over the chicane each time

Yeah Nick did a much better overtaking move and it was clean and crisp, mark couldnt do that on two occasions, anyway planet F1 have said Nick won that round which i have to agree with!

:blink:

Webber was unlucky to lose his place to Heidfeld during the pit stop sequence. I give this weekend to Mark but we shall soon see what the PF1 do.

Indeed we will. PF1 agree with my verdict.

Here is what they said:

BMW-Williams

Race: Webber 0

Mark is seems lacks racecraft. He is quick in quali, or anything where he is alone on the track. But he needs to work on his starts and passing. Both have been very ordinary this season. Although Nick might not be as quick as Mark, he is getting the better result during the race.

OK its not arrogance, but when Button was angry about his Honda dying in the first races that IS arrogance, right??? Hope u aussies enjoyed having your hero Jenson commentating on the race!! I know I did! Congrats to Webber on getting 3rd but I think neither driver was paricularly more impressive than the other, both were held up for ages, but Heidfeld's overtaking was a hell of a lot better than webber's pathetic lunges which put him and alonso over the chicane each time

it was amazing how disappointed webber looked with his first podium. he was obviously gutted that nick got him in the pits. i wanna know who made the call. was it nick? was it the team? i think overall webber was definitely more impressive, it's just that nick got lucky and pulled off a helluvan overtaking move. but that's just nick hey, mr conservative, right place at the right time.

but full respect for his move on fernando, he caught him completely unawares and pulled off the smoothest of smooth moves. after that it was always going to be harder for webber to pull the same move with alonso on full alert.

Senna - PF1 use a wrong argument - it wasn't Webber's fault!!!

"We had a clutch problem and we acknowledge that," team technical director Sam Michael said on Wednesday. "We take responsibility as a team for it ... we're working hard to try to fix that.

"Mark drove fantastically well.

"In Monaco, so many things can go wrong, but he didn't put a foot wrong."

Both Head & Michael praise Webber, so I put it as a weekend for him.

it was amazing how disappointed webber looked with his first podium.  he was obviously gutted that nick got him in the pits.  i wanna know who made the call.  was it nick?  was it the team?  i think overall webber was definitely more impressive, it's just that nick got lucky and pulled off a helluvan overtaking move.  but that's just nick hey, mr conservative, right place at the right time.

but full respect for his move on fernando, he caught him completely unawares and pulled off the smoothest of smooth moves.  after that it was always going to be harder for webber to pull the same move with alonso on full alert.

It was Williams who made the call - Nick said so in the press conference. That is why Webber was frustrated and rightly so as Webber "didn't put a foot wrong"

Senna - PF1 use a wrong argument - it wasn't Webber's fault!!!

Both Head & Michael praise Webber, so I put it as a weekend for him.

There are several arguments and PF1 are quite right to give the weekend to Nick as I did.

There are several arguments and PF1 are quite right to give the weekend to Nick as I did.

No because they use false facts.

Or is rubbish allowed to be used if it backs up what you think?

No because they use false facts.

Or is rubbish allowed to be used if it backs up what you think?

You appear to adopt a blinkered view when it comes to matters MW.

However, Alan Henry writing in this week's Autocar claimed that there were puzzled looks along the Monaco pit lane when Williams chose to pit NH ahead of MW given that MW was ahead and showed blistering qualifying pace.

IMO MW is a whinger and should keep his negative opinions to himself as he will not endear himself to the team by complaining about a personal result over and above that of the team.

<_<

Don't bother trying to show Senna how wrong he can be, he is to arrogant to consider the fact he may be wrong occasionaly.

You appear to adopt a blinkered view when it comes to matters MW.

However, Alan Henry writing in this week's Autocar claimed that there were puzzled looks along the Monaco pit lane when Williams chose to pit NH ahead of MW given that MW was ahead and showed blistering qualifying pace.

IMO MW is a whinger and should keep his negative opinions to himself as he will not endear himself to the team by complaining about a personal result over and above that of the team.

<_<

Eh? He said it was a great result for the team??? Williams will LIKE it that their drivers want to do better and want to beat each other - they don't do such things as team orders and that would explain the puzzling looks.

Please tell me what I've said in regards to Monaco that is blinkered? I have used all facts from what the team and drivers have said. So my view is that of the team. I am a Williams supporter first and foremost and then Webber and so I know that Williams do not just 'make' compliments to their drivers unless they believe them to be deserved.

Eh? He said it was a great result for the team??? Williams will LIKE it that their drivers want to do better and want to beat each other - they don't do such things as team orders and that would explain the puzzling looks.

The inference from MW comments were that it was great result for the team but a dissapointing result for himself. Are they not one and the same? afterall his dissapointing result, again by inference, was down to the team selcting his team mate for a pitstop over himself.

JPM & RS adopted similar rants while they were at williams and look where it got them.

It was obvious to all that MW could have got the 2nd spot if he had got a better start and pitted ahead of NH, but his rants are ownly embarrassing NH, Williams and himself. He should just focus on the next race and stop crying over spilt milk.