Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kaciaj

The Worst Decision Taken By A Team In 2005?

Worst decision of 2005 award  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Worst decision of 2005 award

• Bar-Honda having dropped David Richards
    • Red Bull sharing 2nd seat between Klien and Liuzzi
    • Peter Sauber for having hired Villeneuve
    • The 9 teams for having self restricted them to 30 testing days

i love polls as well, keep em coming.

also i think we should have a big quiz made up by someone like senna who 'know everything' and we all compete to get the highest score, that will be both fun and humiliating for those who dont know! :D

also kaciaj i need a little help, in the 2 red years in italy, i know loads about 1920, but our teacher seems to have missed out 1919, cud u possibly give me a quick list of important events during 1919. thanks.

The worst decisions are BAR's:

1) dropping DR

2) cheating

3) accusing the FIA of a malicious and unfair prosecution, embarrasing themselves and Honda in the process and then retracting these statements to further embarrass themselves.

4) not firing Nick Fry for overseeing the above disaster

5) hiring Gil de Ferran, a man with zero F1 experience and no management experience at all, as Sporting Director

6) initially pursuing (and promoting) a design strategy of performance over reliability under regs that clearly favour reliability only to later, after having numerous double retirements and no podiums, embarrassingly change strategy.

All in all, an absolute shambles of their own making for BAR this year. It's a shame that a talented driver like Jenson has to waste his prime years in a team like this.

also kaciaj i need a little help, in the 2 red years in italy, i know loads about 1920, but our teacher seems to have missed out 1919, cud u possibly give me a quick list of important events during 1919. thanks.

I've sent you some intersting things on a personal message mate take a look!!!

BAR-Honda having dropped David Richards

They just have not looked the same since Honda axed him. But since Gil de Ferran was brought in the team has looked more competitive and quick.

They just have not looked the same since Honda axed him. But since Gil de Ferran was brought in the team has looked more competitive and quick.

:huh:

In wich series?

:blink:

i also enjoy polls, however limted some of yours tend to be! :P

i'd have said bar's decision to run a car underweight when all fuel is completely removed from the car, and not understanding that a car must be weighed free of all fuel.

i don't think David Richards been axed by BAR would have made any difference. He doesn't design the car & it has only been the aerodynamics that have let the car down. Richards took credit for things at BAR he never did.

They switched to Michelin, A move Craig Pollock had originally started

Getting Geoff Willis from Williams, Again something done by Craig Pollock

Honda Engine's , Again this was done by Craig Pollock

Jenson Button, something Craig Pollock said he wanted for 2002 before he went to Benetton

Overall a lot of the things that made BAR more competitive was not done by David Richards.

The way he treated Villeneuve was also unacceptable, he had told JV that he had a seat for 2004, He then signed Sato for 2004 & didn't tell JV he was fired untill the Indy Gp. There was no seats left for JV by then. Peter Sauber later said if he had known JV was out of BAR he would have signed him rather than Massa for 2004. JV said that working with DR was impossible as he never gave him any testing, did nothing but try to get rid of JV from the seconds he joined BAR & Made JV's life hell for 2 years. Jaques also said that DR did nothing to help his confidence by constantly trying to get rid of him & it may have actually damaged his confidence, a lot of people witin BAR have also said that JV's personality changed witin the team when DR joined. In fact in 2003 JV was often just as fast as Button in teh races but more often than not his car would fail.

i agree, although you have to give dr credit for signing button.

Also BAR is already going to win the "Worst Decision For 2006" award if they really are going to sign Wheldon to replace Button.

if button moves to williams i think he will be making a mistake, he clearly is bummed in BAR and they clearly want to win the wcc and see jenson as helping them acheive it! thye have a long way to go but i think if he stays in 2007 it may well happen!

if button moves to williams i think he will be making a mistake, he clearly is bummed in BAR and they clearly want to win the wcc and see jenson as helping them acheive it! thye have a long way to go but i think if he stays in 2007 it may well happen!

I think it might happen even earlier if they stop stupid management changes..in 2006 rules will change and Honda has been the first manufacturer to have their V8 on track and it didn't perform bad at all!!!

its all too true, they just keep making silly managerial errors and its embarressing to see. If they just got it right and put their heads down and really go for it, they would make a good enough car!

its all too true, they just keep making silly managerial errors and its embarressing to see. If they just got it right and put their heads down and really go for it, they would make a good enough car!

There is no evidence to support this. BAR and Honda are both incompetent and unlikely to produce a championship car under any formula ever. You must separate your support for Jenson from the team. I don't think you would support BAR-Honda if Jenson was not driving for them. Correct?

Furthermore I cannot see them ever taking the CC with the currently weak driver lineup , the combination of a very good driver and a very poor one. Jenson could win the WDC in a superior car, but not a marginal one the way that Michael, Kimi or Fernando could and even this is dependent on him not having to defend his position very often ;)

How Rude.

I do like BAR Honda as a team also, and there is evidence that if they did put their heads down and try, look at last year, they did well and were the surprise package of the season. They have the knowledge in geoff willis, they have a good 'factory' with all the equipment needed. They do a lot of testing mileage, have a very good driver in the team, have the car giant Honda and their very powerful engines and also have plenty of cash. Though they make very silly mistakes there is no reason they can not produce a championship winning car!

Also i disagree with what you said about jenson as there is no way you can say kimi or alonso could win a chamionship with a mediocre car when jenson can't, there is no evidence to support any of that opinion.

Also i disagree with what you said about jenson as there is no way you can say kimi or alonso could win a chamionship with a mediocre car when jenson can't, there is no evidence to support any of that opinion.

Kimi nearly won the championship last season in a car that was not even close to being the best.

Likewise, if Alonso wins this season (and there is a reasonable chance that he will), it will have been in a car that was not the best on the grid.

Jenson has not demonstrated that he is WDC material in the way that Kimi and Fernando have. This is the basis for my opinion.

yeah but FA had the best car in the first 3 races, and due to kimi's unlucky streak, looks set to win the WDC even if he fails to win another race this year!

KR didnt have the best car on the grid in 2003, but didnt have a bad one and due to Ferrari having a bad year, was again able to capitalise on that. So i think you'll find that they may not have had the best cars but were able to capitalise on other drivers/teams problems!

Lets not forget the other important factor in the 2003 Championship, The Tyres. In 2003 we had a heat wave in europe during the summer & as im sure we all know the Michelin tyres love the hotter conditions. Ferrari looked OK at the start with there old car & once they brought in the 2003 spec car Schumi won the 1st 2 races with in & then also won at Montreal but after this he woudn't win a race untill Monza. The F2003 wasn't really a bad car but in the heat wave that we had in 2003 teh Bridgestones were virtually useless. Michelin teams pretty much dominated the 2003 mid-season & then we had the tyre controvocy after Hungary where Alonso won & lapped Schumacher who eventually finished 8th & then Ferrari completely Dominated the final 3 races with 3 straght wins 2 for Schumi & 1 for Rubens. Make what you will of the Tyre controvicy but in my opinion the Michelin tyres were legal due to the fact that the rule over width was unclear & that they had there own interpritation of teh rules while they followed.

For those who don't know about this tyre issue. From Imola 2001 untill Monza 2003 Michelin were using the same tyre as far as dimentions & construction go the only thing they changed was the compound. After Hungary 2003 Ferrari & Bridgestone protested to the FIA stating that the Michelin tyres were Illegal as they had a wider tread pattern. Michelin hit back by saying there tyres were 100% within the rules. Ferrari then asked the FIA to disquality every Michelin result from the start of 2001 up untill Hungary 2003, Michelin teams then thretened to Boycott the Italian Gp. After a while the FIA clarified the rules regarding when & how tyres were measured, at no point did nay FIA official say that the Michelin tyres were Illegal they just changed the tyre measuring procedure. Michelin made a small change to there tyres saying that it had set them back about 3 months of tyre development, Ferrari won the next 3 races & Ferrari & Schumacher won the 2003 Drivers & Constructors championship.

The problem that both Michelin & there teams had was that the FIA were aware of the issue from Imola 2001 & that Michelin had asked the FIA on several occasions for a clarification of the rule & the FIA had never had a problem with Michelin's interpritation of teh rule. The rule in question was that the FIA measured the tyres when new & that the Michelin tyres apparently got wider during teh race as Michelin used a more round sidewall compared to Bridgestone so the contact pattern was larget on the Michelin tyres, the important factor is that the FIA Never called the tyres Illegal at any time they just clarified the rules, something Michelin had asked about several times between Imola 2001 & Hungary 2003, between this time the tyre's remained identical & it wasn't untill Hungary 2003 that a big deal was made about it.

Had this whole tyre situation not come up Kimi may well have become the world champion, Ferrari were been destroyed mid-season between Monaco & Hungary Ferrari had only 2 wins at Canada with Schumi & Silverstone with Rubens the other wins were taken by Ralf, Montoya & Alonso with Kimi getting consistent points results to get in the championship hunt after his Sepang win. On average the Michelin tyres were 3-4tenths slower after the regulation change & Ferrari seemed to suddenly find there speed again, as i said above make what you will of this entire situation.

yeah but FA had the best car in the first 3 races, and due to kimi's unlucky streak, looks set to win the WDC even if he fails to win another race this year!

KR didnt have the best car on the grid in 2003, but didnt have a bad one and due to Ferrari having a bad year, was again able to capitalise on that. So i think you'll find that they may not have had the best cars but were able to capitalise on other drivers/teams problems!

I have a headache.

i don't think David Richards been axed by BAR would have made any difference. He doesn't design the car & it has only been the aerodynamics that have let the car down. Richards took credit for things at BAR he never did.

They switched to Michelin, A move Craig Pollock had originally started

Getting Geoff Willis from Williams, Again something done by Craig Pollock

Honda Engine's , Again this was done by Craig Pollock

Jenson Button, something Craig Pollock said he wanted for 2002 before he went to Benetton

Overall a lot of the things that made BAR more competitive was not done by David Richards.

The way he treated Villeneuve was also unacceptable, he had told JV that he had a seat for 2004, He then signed Sato for 2004 & didn't tell JV he was fired untill the Indy Gp. There was no seats left for JV by then. Peter Sauber later said if he had known JV was out of BAR he would have signed him rather than Massa for 2004. JV said that working with DR was impossible as he never gave him any testing, did nothing but try to get rid of JV from the seconds he joined BAR & Made JV's life hell for 2 years. Jaques also said that DR did nothing to help his confidence by constantly trying to get rid of him & it may have actually damaged his confidence, a lot of people witin BAR have also said that JV's personality changed witin the team when DR joined. In fact in 2003 JV was often just as fast as Button in teh races but more often than not his car would fail.

you my friend have just summed up what I've been saying for the past 2 years!!

As for this poll, it's definitely the RBR driver swap