Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

Straightline Speeds Key To Montreal Race?

An interesting aspect of the Montreal qualifying session is how the how the top speeds stack up. That data is more important than at most tracks, because there is a clear passing opportunity on the long run to the final chicane.

Through the speed trap pole winner Jenson Button lost out massively to the Renaults and to fellow front row man Michael Schumacher, while the McLarens are well down the order. Here are the top runners:

Montreal speed trap

Fisichella 330.3kph (1st)

Alonso 329.7kph (2nd)

M Schumacher 328.2kph (3rd)

Montoya 322.0kph (8th)

Webber 320.6kph (11th)

Heidfeld 320.5kph (12th)

Sato 320.1kph (14th)

Raikkonen 320.0kph (15th)

Button 318.6kph (16th)

Clearly Ferrari and Renault have taken quite a different route on downforce compared to McLaren and BAR. Confronted with those numbers, Jenson admitted that he might have a problem.

"That is a worry," said the Brit. "I've got to press really hard on the first lap to get a bit of a gap, because that's the place where they're going to be closest to me. If I can get that gap hopefully we won't have any issues with people trying to overtake."

Ron Dennis suggests that the real significance of the lack of top speed is that the team's main rivals may punish their tyres more, because they are relying to a greater extent on mechanical rather than aero grip.

"I think if you look at the last few races, we've never lacked in top speed," said the McLaren boss. "What level of cornering capability the other teams have given away to achieve this to speed will only will only become apparent in the latter third of the race. What you're trying to do when determining the downforce levels is anticipate where you're going to be half way to two thirds of the way through the event. That's the important time. In previous Grands Prix you can see people who've got it wrong. We're not unduly concerned about straightline speed."

He says there are no concerns about higher fuel loads punishing brakes or tyres: "At the moment, because of our downforce levels, and because of the work we've done, we don't feel vulnerable in those areas, neither braking nor tyre. We've focussed on the race, and only time will tell if our focus has been placed on the right things."

An interesting aspect of the Montreal qualifying session is how the how the top speeds stack up. That data is more important than at most tracks, because there is a clear passing opportunity on the long run to the final chicane.

Through the speed trap pole winner Jenson Button lost out massively to the Renaults and to fellow front row man Michael Schumacher, while the McLarens are well down the order. Here are the top runners:

Montreal speed trap

Fisichella 330.3kph (1st)

Alonso 329.7kph (2nd)

M Schumacher 328.2kph (3rd)

Montoya 322.0kph (8th)

Webber 320.6kph (11th)

Heidfeld 320.5kph (12th)

Sato 320.1kph (14th)

Raikkonen 320.0kph (15th)

Button 318.6kph (16th)

Clearly Ferrari and Renault have taken quite a different route on downforce compared to McLaren and BAR. Confronted with those numbers, Jenson admitted that he might have a problem.

"That is a worry," said the Brit. "I've got to press really hard on the first lap to get a bit of a gap, because that's the place where they're going to be closest to me. If I can get that gap hopefully we won't have any issues with people trying to overtake."

Ron Dennis suggests that the real significance of the lack of top speed is that the team's main rivals may punish their tyres more , because they are relying to a greater extent on mechanical rather than aero grip.

"I think if you look at the last few races, we've never lacked in top speed," said the McLaren boss. "What level of cornering capability the other teams have given away to achieve this to speed will only will only become apparent in the latter third of the race. What you're trying to do when determining the downforce levels is anticipate where you're going to be half way to two thirds of the way through the event. That's the important time. In previous Grands Prix you can see people who've got it wrong. We're not unduly concerned about straightline speed."

He says there are no concerns about higher fuel loads punishing brakes or tyres: "At the moment, because of our downforce levels, and because of the work we've done, we don't feel vulnerable in those areas, neither braking nor tyre. We've focussed on the race, and only time will tell if our focus has been placed on the right things."

i think this is certainly the case with renault

i think this is certainly the case with renault

Yes I think the Mac's should be on good strategy. (tires and fuel) Perhaps the Renault & Mac's may pass the BAR on the straights.

IF JB manages a clean first lap and gets away quickly he could win, i think its all gonna be down to the start with JB and BAR!

IF JB manages a clean first lap and gets away quickly he could win, i think its all gonna be down to the start with JB and BAR!

Button's pole time was 1.15.2....Raikkonen free practice time was 1.14.2 and Alonso lapped in 1.14.6.....what does it mean? It means that both Renault and McLaren have qualified with a lot of fuel on board, like it was at the Nurburgring with Alonso so they are both quicker than Jenson's car. The real threat is Michael Schumacher, who, despite he was probably even lighter than JB, has a car that improves drammatically after the first stint, so, even if he is on light fuel he will be able to come out first after the stops and to win the race, putting himself back in the Championship contention.A championship that will be won by the red b#####ds again

the bars were running heavy in all but the first practice session on friday to carry out practice on long runs! I dont think he is very light and hopefully i will be proved correct!

JR, BTW, congratulations on Jenson getting the pole.

You have been very patient with BAR that seemed to have paid off.

Button's pole time was 1.15.2....Raikkonen free practice time was 1.14.2 and Alonso lapped in 1.14.6.....what does it mean? It means that both Renault and McLaren have qualified with a lot of fuel on board, like it was at the Nurburgring with Alonso so they are both quicker than Jenson's car. The real threat is Michael Schumacher, who, despite he was probably even lighter than JB, has a car that improves drammatically after the first stint, so, even if he is on light fuel he will be able to come out first after the stops and to win the race , putting himself back in the Championship contention.A championship that will be won by the red b#####ds again

i agree with you...

but i don't think a victory will put him back in contention of the WDC

he'll probably need a couple more

why are u congratulating me, i did nothing, u shud be congratulating jb and bar!