Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sw4me

McLaren make me CRY:(

In New Zealand we got the BBC, now the ITV commentry.  That means Martin Brundle and James Allen.  Martin's very knowledgable, probably from his days as a driver.  And James is really quite good, but a bit of a let down (only 'cos we are used to the master, Muddy Talker oops Murray Walker).

We actually get pretty good coverage over here in South Africa. We also get the ITV James Allen/Martin Brundle roadshow. Good but not nearly as good as old Murray.

Very similar to Jens we get live coverage of the two free practice sessions on the friday, the practice session + qualifying on Saturday, the warm up plus race on the Sunday.

Apart from the above mentioned live coverage we also get a 1 hour F1 news show on the Wednesday before races plus lots of studio chats, buildups etc in between the practice sessions and before the race...

I stated we only get the race that's not quite true we also on the radio news we get to hear who won about 12 or 13 races per year, and on TV news we hear the podium and maybe 15sec footage but only 8 or 9 races per year.  And the race gets repeated 1 week later.

This is even better than it was in 1994 for example the race was on Pay TV, if at all, no repeat anywhere or delayed coverage no radio time news or otherwise and on TV news We got told Ayrton Senna and some other driver (Ratzenberger, but we weren't told his name) had died in Grand pricks racing and we were shown the Schumacher/Hill incident.  That was all for the whole year, and that was a busy year for F1 on NZ TV in those days.

Oh and all our TV presenters pronounce the drivers names badly like Shoemaker, Hankinnen, Fissykeller, Wertz.

HAHAHAHA, that's hilarious the way you say they pronounce Fisichella (Fissykeller LOL) and Wurz etc. That really is bad when they don't even tell you the name of the driver who died in Imola in 94. I hear they even had a 15 minute segment of a 1-hour news broadcast devoted just to F1 that weekend here in the US back then! And thats amazing, considering how unknown it is over here...

Actually in 94 I think there was one other news bulleten, that if Senna's funeral procession, again not a very long comment mind you.

For the WRC.  No news (TV or Radio), Coverage we got a half hour to hour presentation the weekend after (a little more for the Rally of New Zealand).  But I think they have improved that this year not too sure, been too busy to keep up.

The Dakar rally got the better coverage though 1/2 an hour per day and a hour roudup of the whole event.

I should probably try to keep up as I'm a Peugeot fan, and my brother tells me they are going OK again this year.

OK!?!? OK!!?!!?!?!? They're doing bloody great! For the past three rallies they have finished at least 1-2 and there was a 1-2-3 in there as well at the Rallye de Corsica at San Remo. They're over 30 points ahead in the constructors race and their drivers are taking a commanding lead in the drivers race.