Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1Babe

Button to Ferrari?

From F1-Live.Com (Sorry TotalF1 but you aren't running the story:p)

''According to reports in the British Press, Renault driver Jenson Button could be the next in line at Ferrari, the young English driver impressing team bosses with his superb performances this year. Jenson has finished the last three races in the points, only failing to see the finish line in Australia after being involved in the opening lap chaos. He is currently fourth in the drivers standings, ahead of both Rubens Barrichello and David Coulthard.

The Italian press was full of rave reviews on Buttons performance in San Marino last weekend when he kept the McLaren of David Coulthard behind him to secure fifth place, beaten only by the two Williams and Ferraris. While many in Italy are now predicting a switch to Ferrari to replace Rubens Barrichello, the Williams outfit still has the say on his services for the next two years.

Barrichello, who incidentally has only secured one win from 151 starts, was given a boost after his second place finish at Imola, however the strength of his position within the Italian marque continues to be pondered. Juan Pablo Montoya has also been linked with a drive at the championship winning team, one the Colombian won't rule out completely but claims won't eventuate any time soon while Sauber's Felipe Massa is yet another name associated with the famous outfit.

According to the Sunday Mirror, insiders at Williams are convinced the team will continue with their current driver pairing of Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya as they fight to win the championship from Ferrari in the next few seasons. This still leaves them with Button's services next year and Sir Frank will be forced to make a decision soon on which direction they will finally take.

Currently under contract to Renault, Button's second season with the team is turning out to be a lot better than the first, however whether he chooses to stay with Flavio Briatore or head to Ferrari alongside Michael Schumacher, is still to be decided. While being Michael's teammate is something several other drivers refuse to consider, the young Englishman would relish the role as he could learn so much from the German in the long run, taking over number one status when Schumacher finally decides to hang up his helmet once and for all.

Reports also indicate that Flavio Briatore is anxious to get Button to sign a new 2 year extension with Renault, but as to where he will eventually end up, Ferrari, Renault or Williams, we may have to wait a few more months to discover. ''

I remember this story coming out in 2000.

I'm very sceptical about all these stories about Jenson. As a Button Fan, i on;y want whats best for him, and i don't think Ferrari is.

I think he'll be staying put at Renault next season, but we'll have to wait and see:)

Being a Ferrari fan I certainly wouldn't mind seeing young Jenson there... Being one of the few drivers I've actually met I can honestly say he is a nice guy plus he is helluva fast. So it would be a pleasure to see him alongside Schumie in the scarlet car!!

:D

Unfortunately my gut still tells me that Massa is more likely to get the drive though....  ???  

1 other question - If Barrichello does leave at the end of this season (& it seems very likely) where will he go?? My guess would be either to BAR (replacing villeneuve) or Jordan (replacing Sato)...

I know this story is only a rumour, but thinking about it Jenson would be the perfect replacement for Barrichello.

He's quick, but not too quick(which MS will love), very consistant, vey focused, knows how to work the press and is young enough for Ferrari to mold him into the driver they want.

Plus he can learn at Michaels foot.

IMO it all makes sense :)

But i know it's only a 'story' and i won't get carried away :D

Daz: what about Barrichello going to Toyota to replace McNish?

Perhaps I should start another thread, but anyway , here goes, my main concern for next year is where Jacques Villenueve is gonna drive. So here's my specualtion for next year :

Ferrari    : Michael Schu. , Felipe Massa

McLaren : Kimi Raikk., Nick HeidFeld

Williams  : Ralf Schu. JPM

Sauber   :  Rubens Barrichello, Enrique Bernoldi

Renault   : Jarno Trulli, Jenson Button

BAR       : Mark Webber, Olivier Panis

Minardi   : Alex Yoong, Takuma Sato

Toyota   : Jacques Villenueve, Mika Salo

Jaguar    : Pedro De La Rosa, Alex Wurz

Arrows   : HHF, David Coulthard

Jordan   : Giancarlo F., Tonio Pizzonia

Feel free to throw criticisms, I just got bored towards the end, and started slotting names around   :)  But I do think that Irvine will be put to pasture, he's going to be 37 this year, isn't he ? DC might not want an inferior ride either, and decide to quit perhaps.....

GaySchummi What about the DART/Phoenix/Arrows Jnr Team if they decide to pay the entry fee next year, or even win in court (this I doubt).  Who will drive for them.

About your list Ferrari, Williams, Renault I tend to agree with,

BAR, Toyota, Jordan I like the sound of,

not convinced Yoong will still be there another pay-per-drive will come up, McLaren depends a lot on Hakkinen, if he want's to drive Dennis will let him even if it's last minute,

I agree about Irvine, and DC I think he would quit before going to Arrows.

I agree with some parts of that, but dont believe that Heidfeld is on his way to Mclaren next year. I think Hakkinen will be back to make Mclaren all-Finnish, while Wurz I think would go to Jordan or BAR rather than Jaguar, depending on how much Jag improves. Anything though can happen in F1, but I think Wurz is going to be in a good team. Your Toyota line-up I think is very good, but I think McNish will stay in F1, going to maybe Arrows instead of DC. Coulthard will either get a good drive or no drive, I dont think he'd go waste away at Arrows or somewhere like that.

Do you really think Hakkinen will be back ? I'd love for the guy to come back, and put in some great races, but recapture lost motivation is really difficult. :(

I'd like to think that a lot will depend on whether McLaren iron out their problems, if they don't, it would simply sully Mika's reputation to return, and for HeidFeld, I think Kimi's going to outclass DC over the course of the year, and keeping in mind that Nick got the upper hand with Kimi(but yes it was his rookie season), it would be nice to see Nick in  a Mac.

As far as the other go, I don't particularly care :) , but I wish Villenueve would go to Toyota, I think they're the only team which might take him, and give him a car which can fight for podiums.

With regards to the thread, I doubt Frank Williams will let go JPM, at least for next season, so Button should essentially remain at Renault, which looks like it's a good thing, the Renaults are improving remarkably :)

I think 2003 will look something like this:

Ferrari: M Schumacher - F Massa

McLaren: K Raikkonen - D Coulthard

Williams: JP Montoya - R Schumacher

Renault: J Button - F Alonso

Sauber: N Heidfeld - A Pizzonia

Jordan: G Fissichella - R Barrichello

BAR: - T Sato - J Trulli

Arrows: J Wilson - Enrique Bernoldi

Minardi: M Webber - A Davidson

Toyota: - M Salo - Alex Wurz

Jaguar: HH Frentzen - Pedro De La Rosa

Phoenix: J Verstappen - E Irvine

:)

i think you have all picked webber wrong.

and also masa wrong aswell.

massa will probly end up either still with sauber or down with minardi or suomething like that and webber will either drive for renualt or jordan just my thoughts

I don't think we will see Webber with Jordan in 2003 either, and Renault have a number of drivers higher on the list than Webber.  I would be suprised if Massa goes to Minardi next year, if no bigger team wants him he will be gone.

Martin Brundle stated during qualifying that Jean Todt had all but confirmed that Rubens will be returning next season.

Jenson has really been showing Jarno the way this season, and Martin also mentioned that Jaguar and BAR have made inquiries about Jensons availability. Frank is in an enviable position, now that Jenson's stock has risen. I wonder what he could squeeze out of Ferrari, if they really want him.

Although Jarno is Flav's boy, he doesn't appear to be very mentally strong over race distances, and I should think Alonso would replace him before Jens.

I believe that DC is in a bit of trouble as well. He has not demonstrated a performance edge on Kimi all year. The drive should go to Heidfeld, but Mac must feel Kimi is better already, having passed him over last year. Wurz will never get the drive. Maybe Jens should be in a Mac.

I get the feeling that McNish will be replaced next year.

Massa will probably stay with Sauber for now. He could go to Ferrari later, but they really want JPM.

Sato will be out of Jordan next year, I think, especially if they lose the Honda engines.

Jacques is being verbally edged out of BAR. I suppose Toyota is his best bet left in F1, unless he wants to be creative in his salary demands.

Then there is Jaguar. Can the 36 year old, "second best driver in the world", and highest paid Ford employee, survive another season? It's lucky for him that Niki likes to party with him, or he would be on shaky ground, IMHO, he has not demonstrated superiority over Pedro so far.

Frank is in an enviable position, now that Jenson's stock has risen. I wonder what he could squeeze out of Ferrari, if they really want him.

Although Jarno is Flav's boy, he doesn't appear to be very mentally strong over race distances, and I should think Alonso would replace him before Jens.

I believe that DC is in a bit of trouble as well. He has not demonstrated a performance edge on Kimi all year. The drive should go to Heidfeld

IMHO, he (Irvine) has not demonstrated superiority over Pedro so far.

Four words

Yes

Yes

Yes

and Yes

After Jean Todts comments this weekend I'd guess I'd have to beleive that Rubens is staying for one more stint at Ferrari..

So for what its worth heres my predictions:

Ferrari: M Schumacher - R Barrichello

McLaren: K Raikkonen - M Hakkinen

Renault: J Button - A Wurz

Sauber: N Heidfeld - F Massa

Jordan: G Fissichella - J Wilson

BAR: O Panis - A Pizzonia

Arrows: HH Frentzen - E Bernoldi

Toyota: M Salo - J Villeneuve

Jaguar: E Irvine - P De La Rosa

Ferrari: M Schumacher - R Barrichello

McLaren: K Raikkonen - M Hakkinen

Renault: J Button - A Wurz

Sauber: N Heidfeld - F Massa

Jordan: G Fissichella - J Wilson

BAR: O Panis - A Pizzonia

Arrows: HH Frentzen - E Bernoldi

Toyota: M Salo - J Villeneuve

Jaguar: E Irvine - P De La Rosa

Do you think Mika will actually come back? I agree that DC is likely to be replaced. On the other hand, Nick has been passed over once already. But he is very steady in the Sauber, and I think Mercedes owe him the drive.

I don't think Alex Wurz, good as he is, will get the Renault seat. He is too tall, has been there already (Bennetton), and has been abused by Flav enough as it is. Alonso has been promised a seat for '03, apparently.

Being too tall is Justins problem too, and EJ said as much. Too bad, he deserves a try as well.

Pizzonia at BAR is an interesting idea. Frank must be chuckling to himself, with mini-Schu, JP, Gene, Pizzonia, and Button to choose from. Quite a nice problem to have.

Unfortunately, as long as Malaysia sponsors a Minardi, Yoong is going to waste that seat.

Jacques could replace Eddie at Jag.

Maybe Jens should be in a Mac.

Daaamn right I should!!! :)  As for Frank's problem of drivers to choose from, I think Ron Dennis still has an even better horde of skill. Raikkonen, Coulthard, Hakkinen, Heidfeld, several lower Formula drivers, and what about Alesi (?) I dont think so, but just came up.

The annoying thing is, in the offseason we have to wait for the season to start, and during the season we have to wait for the driver signings (silly season) to start!

Lots of talk in this topic of MikaH will he won't he, he is my 2 cents on the matter...

Mika Hakkinen WILL return in a Mac, but he will be a repeat of Damon in 1999.  Then his time will be up.

I fear what you say nichosnz may turn out true, but I dont think so. Hopefully the Mclaren will be a little better next year...

I hope it's not true, I don't like seeing a Champion continue or return, when they have passed their sell by date.

I dont think he has passed the date, last year was just so horridly unreliable with the car and that starts to affect your mind. I think he will bounce back to beat Schumi on a regular basis when he returns.

Yes but time off affects different people differently, and history tells us that the result cannot be predicted.

Yes they are, but Graham Hill hung around far too long a year off would have just speed up this process.