Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

The Ultimate Question

Because that would still be somewhat dangerous. Not to mention it'd still get the same result, and the race wouldn't be exciting still.

Like i said in another thread, they'd of had to slow down a fair bit, and this could be dangerous for any faster driving car coming through if they see them at the wrong moment.

Further more the drivers wouldn't slow down anyway. You saw how unhappy some were, you heard some of them telling the team they still wanted to race. If they were left out there, im sure atleast 1 if not all would of gone full speed, and we could well of had a serious injury or fatality, which would of been much worse then the farce of a race in which the end we saw.

the drivers are not that stupid, they slow down in the pits dont they? they could drive off the racing line. and thats for the michelin teams to work out, its as practical as accommodating a chicane at the last minute.

why should the FIA make a last minute alteration to the track. its the michelin teams' problem tey can solve it.

michelin first very confidently said that they are flying in new tyres. then they went back on that and said that they are not confident even those tyres would work. whose fault?

Ofcourse Michelin created the problem, i don't think anyone would disagree, but like the saying goes "if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem" and the FIA are guilty of this.

Michelin made a mistake

but FIA's mistake was worse as they didn't come up with a solution

showing their incompetency

I couldnt agree more. Michelin have been a great tyre this year which is faster than the bridgestone tyres, but they pussed it alittle to far this time. I think that the FIA should have put in the corner in turn 13 and simply gave the michelin runners a 10 second stop go penalty. It would have meant some good racing which would have pleased the crowd.

the Michelin teams even offered just to race for the fans and not take any points...

i refuse to believe there was nothing the FIA could do about it

they are the law in F1

michelin had a choice - either to run at slower speed through turn 13 and be humiliated with bridgestone cars streaming past them. or to take up a stupid issue like putting a chicane with FIA so they win either way. if the FIA accepts they can get a moral victory by having most of their runners near the top even if ferrari wins the race. otherwise - even better. they can sit out the race watch the few cars that do turn out to race get abused by the fans, while the michelin bosses hide in their corners. did any of them dare go apologize to the fans. they'll get a fine from F1, big deal. they managed to turn the focus away from their gross incompetence, and managed to turn the blame towards ferrari and the FIA.

if your cars have to go slow do so, why should everyone slow down for you. does minardi ever demand that everyone should slow down to let them catch up?

they made a mistake for the tyres

but they acknowledged the problem almost immediately

and tried their best to solve the mess

and advise the teams not to race for their safety

can you imagine how much money they are losing after this?

i believe that it's enough that they learnt their mistake

and tried their best to minimise the damage

FIA, however, attempted nothing as to secure a full grid race

and is stubborn enough not to realise what a fool they've made themselves to be

a question should be also asked: "why have this situation even had the chance to arise??"

they are paid to make the rules and regulations, they didn't think this could happen??

I always said that F1 was a CIRCUS and this G/p sure proved that it's the CLOWNS that try to run the show, not a circus manager.

WHAT is it that every dicussion/decission involving all 10 teams there is always FERRARI that NEVER agrees with anything?

This has got to be the last straw for F1 racing in the USA. It sure would be for me if I had forked out all my hard earned cash to watch M.S. RACE R.B.

IF M.S. wins this years championship then it will be a very shallow win but HE will take it no doubt !!!!!!!!!

ONE f1 viewer LOST after 30 odd yrs watching it

I like GREEN as a paint colour, its pleasant on the eye, does not muck around too much unlike RED which is always raging and ranting and dosen't associate with SILVER (that is I like watching GREEN paint DRY :rolleyes: miles better then watching a farce called F1. Thank god here in OZ we have v8 supercars)

credible answer = they are racing, not on a sunday afternoon stroll

surely at least 1 driver would drive fast past that corner to defend his postion or something like that

besides who's to say the tyres will definitely work for 73 laps if they slow down at that corner??

it blew up after a mere 10 laps on friday, and toyotas aren't exactly fast

so you believe that 14 RACING drivers would SLOW down on that corner ????

Dream on they are PAID to RACE and some will go to extra lengths to do just that, like Kimi, he must have known his tyre was on the edge but he took a gamble and lost..

It's like telling an olympic swimmer not to take a breath on the last lap cause he may win ????? win WHAT a COFFIN !!!!!

Michelin made a mistake

but FIA's mistake was worse as they didn't come up with a solution

showing their incompetency

If Ferrari have a suspension failure is it the FIA's responsibility to solve the problem for them? Bridgestone adhered to all the rules and produced a working product, which showed that there was nothing wrong with the regulations or the circuit. Michelin did not produce a good tyre. It was up to them and them alone to solve that problem. If you had a one tyre F1 field at Indianapolis and that tyre was Michelin there would have been no runners. Lets have no more smoke screens, it was up to Michelin to give their teams the best solution they could. THEY failed.

anyone got a credible answer, why could the michelin cars not slow down if they wanted to?

it's pretty obvious, if only one doesn't slow down, then all of them will pick up the pace. they're racers. picture a scenario with kimi leading alonso on approach to turn 13. kimi backs off, so does alonso, but alonso gets on the gas a little sooner al la safety car restart, alonso gets in front. they repeat the little charade the next lap.

ok so say points don't count so they're not fighting for the championship. add in 12 extra cars on top of these 2 doing the same thing, on the approach to turn 13. each pair of those 14 drivers is niggling, doing the same thing. it's bloody chaotic! then add in the bridgestone runners that are going flat out, and you have an absolutely wild situation that just cannot be controlled with variations in speed all over the shop.

at least when they're racing everyone is flat out so it is somewhat predictable.

no, there were only 2 logical and sensible solutions that i can think of right now to the debacle that was indy, and they've all ben put forward by various people:

1. add a chicane - ridiculous cos they would need to have a prac session and with tv and all that would have been impossible unless they did it in the morning and allowed tyre changes.

2. allow the incompetent french to change their 2nd rate tyres and let bridgestone do the same.

both involved tyre changes, which the fia wouldn't allow.

If Ferrari have a suspension failure is it the FIA's responsibility to solve the problem for them? Bridgestone adhered to all the rules and produced a working product, which showed that there was nothing wrong with the regulations or the circuit. Michelin did not produce a good tyre. It was up to them and them alone to solve that problem.  If you had a one tyre F1 field at Indianapolis and that tyre was Michelin there would have been no runners. Lets have no more smoke screens, it was up to Michelin to give their teams the best solution they could. THEY failed.

yes, michelin failed no doubt! but that doesn't solve the question of yesterday's debacle :rolleyes: are you saying that what happened is ok then, it's justified cos michelin are bloody idiots?

michelin are bloody idiots, but that doesn't mean it's ok for the fia to take a holier-than-thou attitude and let all the fans suffer as a consequence, especially the poor american fans at the track. unacceptable imo. i'm just glad i didn't stay up til 3.30am to watch this farce unfold. this sums it up for me:

The problem is the F1 attitude, the bureaucracy. They have such a huge self-importance. The Speedway had zero control over what happened and they are the ones who are taking the pain. They are the ones who will have to answer the phones from people who want their money back. And Bernie will be off looking for another country to hold a Grand Prix.

both involved tyre changes, which the fia wouldn't allow.
FIA did not refuse tyre changes. they said there will be heavy penalties so that noone can use qualifying tyres.

michelin did not change tyres because they did not have ANY tyres that could last a race. they gave up the tyre shipping plan themselves, because they were not sure if even those tyres would be safe. the FIA even said they could do mid race tyre changes.

besides who's to say the tyres will definitely work for 73 laps if they slow down at that corner??

michelin. they said their tyres will work if they put in a chicane. slowing down is the same thing.

infact Rubens suggested the best solution to the problem, if they could not take turn 13 they could go through the pits every time. that sounds perfectly fair to me. and that would show michelin's incompetence to the whole world, instead of sittingi n the pits and blaming ferrari.

yes, michelin failed no doubt!  but that doesn't solve the question of yesterday's debacle  :rolleyes: are you saying that what happened is ok then, it's justified cos michelin are bloody idiots?

michelin are bloody idiots, but that doesn't mean it's ok for the fia to take a holier-than-thou attitude and let all the fans suffer as a consequence, especially the poor american fans at the track.  unacceptable imo.  i'm just glad i didn't stay up til 3.30am to watch this farce unfold.  this sums it up for me:

agree with you

FIA did not refuse tyre changes. they said there will be heavy penalties so that noone can use qualifying tyres.

michelin did not change tyres because they did not have ANY tyres that could last a race. they gave up the tyre shipping plan themselves, because they were not sure if even those tyres would be safe. the FIA even said they could do mid race tyre changes.

michelin. they said their tyres will work if they put in a chicane. slowing down is the same thing.

infact Rubens suggested the best solution to the problem, if they could not take turn 13 they could go through the pits every time. that sounds perfectly fair to me. and that would show michelin's incompetence to the  whole world, instead of sittingi n the pits and blaming ferrari.

the FIA said they could do mid race tyre change (only if the tyre change is proved to be for safety reasons), if everyone dives into the pits every 10 laps, do you think FIA will allow them to change tyres? besides, there wouldn't be enough tyres

barrichello's idea is safe, but stupid. this is racing and i did not wake up at 3.30am in the morning to see all the michelin teams dive into the pits every single lap.

it wouldn't be any different from what others saw yesterday anyway(i couldn't be bothered), michelin runners will be like jordans and minardis, with ferrari lapping them continuously.

at least the proposal that they race without points (with chicane) is fair enough, at least we get to watch something. (compared to what i said above)

they were ready to take responsible for their mistakes (no points, 10 second stop + go etc)

all they wanted to do was race and FIA denied them that.

this is racing and i did not wake up at 3.30am in the morning to see all the michelin teams dive into the pits every single lap.

they would be racing in the rest of the lap. yes they would get lapped by ferraris and minardis and finish about 10 laps behind. and michelin would take the blame from the fans instead of ferrari, thats what they did not want. that is why they went and hid in their pits. it would have shown michelin's incompetence to the world that they were incapable of providing a racing tyre.

anyone got a credible answer, why could the michelin cars not slow down if they wanted to?

good question-like always ferrari takes a separate decision aprt from all teams same way what ever answer people give for this question will be declared not credibile by ferrari fans-hmmmm better add one more question like-why did friday practice,saturday practice and saturday qualifying all dramas took place and wasted time money and hurt the feelings of millions?

why did friday practice,saturday practice and saturday qualifying all dramas took place and wasted time money and hurt the feelings of millions?

haha because michelin took part in them. ferrari did not create the problem michelin did, it was upto them to solve it.

you must be the biggest idiot I have come across on these forums which is saying something.

Don't act all snooty about it, its not like Ferrari haven't ever caused a bad F1 moment, involving massive booing from fans at the track and at home. Lets us not forget Austria 2002.

That isn't the point. The way you have made some posts it makes me think your being very stuck up about the whole thing, but im sure you weren't when Ferrari have done bad things.