Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eff1

R.I.P. Gilles

May 8, 1982, Zolder, Belgium.

One of the saddest days in the history of F1.

R.I.P. Gilles   :(

One of the 2 greatest drivers never to win the Championship.  He may well have done it that year or the next as Ferrari had the best car avaliable in 1982 but no driver stability due to accidents.  And one of the best cars in 1983.

You know, May 8th is ALSO V-E Day. So one good thing and one bad thing cancel each other out. Just a normal day :)

But honestly, RIP Gilles and Godspeed to those who died in WW2.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  But doesn't VE stand for Victory in Europe, or in other words the end of the war in Europe.  Is not the end of a war a good thing.  It's the start thats bad.

Yea it does. What am I thinking, I was just thinking war = bad Gilles dead = bad. Im gonna go ahead and edit that post to not make myself look stupid.

Most of the regulars on this forum won't have seen him race, except on tape.  A lot of you were not even born in 1982, and people like me were too young to know what F1 was in 1982 I was only 5.

No-one in NZ knows about F1 when they are 5, it's not popular enough over here.  Because it is not a sport played with a squashed soccer ball.

Talking of tapes, do u know any sites where I can get some good ones ? Yes, I've never seen Giles race, heard a lot of good things about him though, I guess I'll never understand why a man with only six victories is considered among the greats, unless I see him race. Of course his letting an obviously-not-as-good Jody Scheckter win speaks volumes for his character, something which is woefully lacking nowadays..   :(

Is it true though that the crash he suffered in Zolder was somewhat similar to what Jacques had in 1997, or was it 98 ? in Austria ?

Rugby takes the No1 spot (not that I understand it though) but Cricket is my countries favourite summer sport.  I was specifically refering to the former.

About where to get tapes, I dunno DUKE would be the best but for video publishers, but I'm unsure whether they have a site or if you have to find them on a distributors site.

About the crash I heard that too but like you GaySchumi I'm unsure which one it was.  After all in practise sessions (in particular) Villeneuve crashes an awful lot.