Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taku

Michelin To Refund Us Gp Tickets

Michelin has announced that it is to contribute to the costs incurred by spectators at the United States Grand Prix by offering to refund their tickets. The company will also buy 20,000 tickets for next year's race and will give them to spectators who were present at this year's race.

"This is an important decision, since Michelin is not at all legally bound to do this," the company said in a statement. "Michelin deeply regrets that the public was deprived of an exciting race and therefore wishes to be the first, among the different groups involved in the Indianapolis race, to make a strong gesture towards the spectators. Michelin also offers to buy 20,000 tickets for the 2006 US Grand Prix to be given to spectators who were present at the Indianapolis race in 2005. We are offering this to promote further Formula 1 interest in the United States. We would also like to take this opportunity to underline the fact that it is unacceptable that our partner teams have been accused by the FIA of having boycotted the Indianapolis Grand Prix."

The statement went on to say that Michelin and its partners did "everything possible to assure that the race could take place in total safety".

"We are extremely disappointed that the proposals made with all our teams were not accepted," Michelin went on. "These proposals, including a chicane, were technically viable and totally met all safety requirements. On Sunday morning, June 19, the sporting authority had all the means necessary to preserve the interest of the race. And yet, the sporting authority rejected the proposed solutions. Why? In our view this is totally incomprehensible and reflects a lack of respect for the spectators. It is the spirit of respect for the spectators that brought us, with our partners, to propose solutions to allow the race to take place in total safety. It is this same spirit that leads us today to make this gesture."

good on em, but it is the least i expected. the 20,000 tix for next year is a nice gesture, provided that tony george even wants f1 back at indy. i wonder if it applies to a different venue?

interesting the comments they added in, specifically aimed at max mosley.

If this had happened earlier it would be a nice gesture, but coming after their recent presss releases its just an attempt to save their skin.

If this had happened earlier it would be a nice gesture, but coming after their recent presss releases its just an attempt to save their skin.

:huh:

It is a nice gesture period. Especially since they did not need to do this as they were under no threat from the FIA and quite rightly so. It is the teams who ought to have banded together and refunded the fans. I for one, hope they are punished severely.

It is a nice gesture period.
why is it a nice gesture. the FIA was going to make them do that anyway. if they had offered to do it right after the GP it would be a nice gesture. to do it a week after Mosley said that they should do it, and a day before the hearing is pure oppurtunism.
I already posted this some time ago:

you both posted at the same time. and he put quotes :lol::lol:

What?

I posted: Yesterday, 07:35 PM

Taku posted: Today, 01:41 AM

That is not the same time - not by any stretch of the imagination.

Good News: Michelin refunds money.

Bad News: Rental car has Michelins on it.

OH s##t!

Here is the note posted on the IMS website this morning;

Thursday, June 30, 2005

To USGP Fans:

The announcement by Michelin on Tuesday, June 28 that the tire company will

You are a very wise man Kennye.

MM said that he was on the teams side when he was a team owner, but that he has now changed his mind. I wonder what made him change his mind?

well it won't be the first time he changed his mind. He was supposed to retire a few months ago I think it was, and attacked the teams for being indecisive and changing their opinions on things. What does Max then do?? He changes his mind, the very same thing he lambasted the teams for.

Mosley told a press conference after the FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting on Wednesday: "Michelin caused the problem 100 percent and took a deliberate risk and should pay all of the foreseeable costs that arise from this.

"I have a feeling that if they get out of this for less than $50 million, they will have done well."

"Michelin caused the problem 100 percent and took a deliberate risk"

Deliberate risk? Very harsh call. It's not as if Michelin purposely sought to construct a tyre that was unsafe around the banking. They just made a massive error, not a deliberate risk as Max says.

I just paid a visit to Indianapolis Motor Speedway site and came across an update on the Ticket refunds for USGP. The letter is dated July 15, 2005

Here is the link below

http://www.brickyard.com/news/story.php?story_id=5038

For those of you that have mild interest, it says Michelin is working with IMS to send refunds to everyone. USGP Account Holders will receive a letter from the raceway sometime next week. Individual ticket holders will need to follow instructions on the website to request a refund.

The ticket refund will be administered by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. On Aug. 8, details of the process and claim forms for individual ticket holders will be available online at www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com, at the IMS Ticket Office or on request by phone at 1 877 950-USGP ( 1 877 950-8747). Details of the program will also be posted on Michelin websites.

Expect a refund check from Michelin between September 19th and 26th.

Details on how the 20,000 tickets for 2006 are going to be distributed will not be available until the schedule is published and it shows Indy is on the schedule.

[quote name='cavallino' date='Jun 29 2005, 05:31 AM']If this had happened earlier it would be a nice gesture, but coming after their recent presss releases its just an attempt to save their skin.
[right][post="48804"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
As compared to the trouble maker (Ferrari), I believe they are doing their job right.

Well, I definately think that Michelin have done everything that they can, atleast the fans will be somewhat satisfied, as to whether they will return is another matter.

Thanks for the information.

JS.

why is it a nice gesture. the FIA was going to make them do that anyway. if they had offered to do it right after the GP it would be a nice gesture. to do it a week after Mosley said that they should do it, and a day before the hearing is pure oppurtunism.

you both posted at the same time. and he put quotes  :lol:   :lol:

Come on stubborn black horse, that is an avoidable issue as mentioned by Jackie Steward, Nigel Mansell and others, michelin is so kind enough to take on the whole responsibility. The fcuking FIA just do nothing and accusing the others. Furthermore, new legal evidence free them from FIA accusation which means that they did the right thing for their mistakes. This is a genuine gentleman move. Unlike the FIA and the trouble maker (Ferrari.......). :)

This is for anyone that was at the USGP or knows someone that attended but did not get their letter.

I got a letter from Michelin and Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the mail this afternoon. I scanned the letter and attached it to this post for anyone interested. It contains contact info and instructions on what to do.

Kennye. Still can't read it. It is too small. What does it say BTW.

Since there is a limit to the size of the attachment, I have copied the entire contents of the letter below.

Dated July 18, 2005

Dear IMS Account Holder,

Thank you for supporting the United States Grand Prix and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway(IMS).

IMS and Michelin North America announced last Friday the details of the process that, subject to the following guidelines, will provide a face-value refund for all race day ticket holders to the 2005 Forlula One United States Grand Prix. The ticket refund will be fully funded by Michelin and administrated by IMS.

As an IMS Account Holder, you do not need to do anything to receive your race day ticket refund. You will receive an automatic ticket refund from Michelin. Here are the steps of the Michelin F1 Ticket Refund process.

1. IMS Account Holders should not complete a Stubbed Ticket Claim Form during the stubbed ticket refund period, which begins August 8 and concludes August 29.

2. In order to receive a full refund for the race day tickets purchased in your account, you should ensure that anyone to whom you gave a ticket from your account does not submit the ticket stub to IMS for a refund. Ticket refund claims on qualified ticket stubs will be honored first. You will will not be reimbursed for any ticket stub that is submitted for a refund by another individual.

3. During the period of August 29-September 18, IMS will reconcile the Stubbed Ticket Claim Forms with IMS Account Holder information.

4. Beginning September 19, each IMS Account Holder will be automatically refunded for any race day tickets they purchased and not already submitted to IMS for a ticket stub refund.

5. As you know, Michelin has offered to purchase 20,000 tickets to the 2006 USGP at Indianapolis. If the United States Grand Prix is included on the 2006 Formula One schedule, these tickets will be made available to fans who purchased tickets for this year's race. Deatils of the 2006 Michelin ticket distribution are being coordinated with IMS. Specifics will be anounced after the Formula One calendar for 2006 has been released by the FIA.

IMS has created a special toll free number for all questions about the ticket refund process. The number is 1-877-950-USGP (1-877-950-8747)

IMS and Michelin are commited to the F1 fans that attended the United States Grand Prix on June 19. We hope through this goodwill gesture to encourage the development of F1 Racing in the United States.

It is signed by these two people

Joie Chitwood Michael I. Fanning

President and Chief Operating Officer Vice President, Corporate Affairs

Indianapolis Motor Speedway Michelin North America, Inc

This is the link to IMS site regarding this. I suggest you call them for a Stubbed Ticket Claim Form I cannot find the link to this form.

http://www.usgpindy.com/news/story.php?story_id=5039