Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Allmendinger Leads Rusport 1-2 Sweep

Allmendinger leads RuSport 1-2 sweep

Edmonton - Champ Car - Qualifying 1

Press release

Champ Car World Series

Tracy third in first qualifying session

A near-capacity crowd streamed through the gates for the first day of Champ Car action of the inaugural West Edmonton Mall Champ Car Grand Prix of Edmonton, as racing fans from throughout Northwest Canada took the opportunity to get their first up-close look at the cars and stars of the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford.

To commemorate the occasion, young American star A.J. Allmendinger (#10 Western Union Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone) decided to show the huge throng something that no other Champ Car fans had even seen. The precocious Champ Car Rookie-of-the-Year slapped down the fastest lap of the day around the 1.973-mile Finning International Speedway, leading a Champ Car qualifying session for the first time in his young career.

Allmendinger led a 1-2 RuSPORT sweep by putting up a track-record time of 58.628 seconds (121.150 mph), securing a front-row starting spot for Sunday

RuSport have been in a class of their own all weekend. They should dominate the race.

What a race! Both RuSport drivers looked set to finish on the podium, possibly even a 1-2, then both made silly errors. It was a really stupid mistake from Justin Wilson, after being really competitive, but he recovered well to finish down in 4th place 0.3 sec behind P.T.

B) You had to feel for AJ as he had the race in the bag before taged the wall, as for Justin--oh! my! what a bonehead move.......................

B) You had to feel for AJ as he had the race in the bag before taged the wall, as for Justin--oh! my! what a bonehead move.......................

They were both bad mistakes in my mind although yes, Justin

I know a lot of people on this forum don't think Champ car counts for much in a drivers stats, but I have to think after watching the race yesterday, how much more entertaining it was then a normal F1 race. Passing for the lead, pit drama, young exciting rookies racing against seasoned pros.

CART is a spec series, no doubt about it, but I think it is a series that really allows the drivers to determine the outcome of a race.

I understand this Edmonton event was a real success. The stands were almost full, in the rain, for qualifying. Edmonton used to be on the Can Am series back in the early 70's, when Bruce McClaren, Dennis Holmes, Peter Revson, Jackie stewart, Jim Hall all raced in the Big Block series, which featured cars from Lola, McClaren, Chaparral and Ferrari..

It has been a long drought for the Western Canadian fans in that region. Track looked a little rough but it was a nice layout that gave some real good passing opportunities. Stands were full and the crowded roared with approval for the on track action.

As Paul Newman stated after the race. The fans will be back next year, that is for sure.

I also see a couple of Potential F1 pilots in the field. Both Wilson, and AJ seem to be quick. Both made big mistakes, but had the pace to be in front.

B) Yes it was a good race and a excelent crowd and don't forget the true female star of tomorrow K. Legge won the support race for the second time this year (Long Beach the other) where as "Danica " never came better than second in the same series..............................

fortunate win for Bourdais, but he made some good passes early on and was patient. Bad luck for both RuSport boys although they both were very stupid mistakes. Sad that Ranger got hit on the first lap and couldn't resume, but Tracy did well to get P3 after flat spotting one of his tyres in his second stint. A fantastic race though and the crowd was awesome!!!

B) Yes SeaBass was in the right place at the right time for sure...................