Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

The End Of Tobacco Sponsorship

Do you think its a good thing that F1 is being forced to give up tobacco sponsorship?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its a good thing that F1 is being forced to give up tobacco sponsorship?

• Yes, Tobacco is evil
    • Yes, It will hurt Ferrari
    • No, its unfair to tobacco companies
    • No, It will result in huge budget cuts in a cash strapped sport

From july 31, teams will not be allwoed to have tobacco sponsorship on cars in Europe. and probably not anywhere else since they cannot haev it in races telecast in europe.

obligatory dumb quote from stoddy

"I think we need to watch very carefully what happens post July 31st," Paul Stoddart said last October in an FIA scheduled press conference. "I am quite sure that if we see Bernie or Jean Todt going to jail then you can rapidly see the demise of tobacco in Formula One."

what is it with you and Stoddy?? What exactly is wrong with that quote? All he was saying was that if teams do decide to go against the law and run with tobacco labels, seeing Bernie or Jean in jail because of this will most probably change the minds of the teams.

Your poll option about it hurting Ferrari is abit weird. There are five teams with tobacco sponsorship, and Marlboro will most probably buy the livery of the car, but without having the word Marlboro on the car, hence they'll be better off than the other teams in the short term.

Personally, I don't mind tobacco sponsorship. I can only speak for myself, but it never effected my decisions on smoking, which I don't do, and never will, but it has nothing to do with F1.

Good point, I'm not too botherd to be honest, it's probably more likely that it will effect the bigger teams the most, but that should be a good thing. I'm not against the advertising of tobacco either, as like NoJFNoF1 says: It has nothing to do with Formula 1.

JS.

what is it with you and Stoddy?? What exactly is wrong with that quote? All he was saying was that if teams do decide to go against the law and run with tobacco labels, seeing Bernie or Jean in jail because of this will most probably change the minds of the teams.

Your poll option about it hurting Ferrari is abit weird. There are five teams with tobacco sponsorship, and Marlboro will most probably buy the livery of the car, but without having the word Marlboro on the car, hence they'll be better off than the other teams in the short term.

Personally, I don't mind tobacco sponsorship. I can only speak for myself, but it never effected my decisions on smoking, which I don't do, and never will, but it has nothing to do with F1.

Exactly, watching F1 has never made me wanna go out and have a fag, though i do smoke occasionally when out with my mates, otherwise i cant see what the problem is with cigarette advertising in F1

I find personally very paradoxal that sportsman advertise for the tobacco industry responsible for thousands and thousands of death each year. Of course the cynics will scoff at the idea of a ban on tobacco sponsorship, particularly in F1 that needs a lot of money. So it's not difficult to guess what I voted. As for the idiot who voted for "unfair to the tobacco industry, I'm sure he'll change his tune when he gets a lung cancer or a heart attack (which happened to a friend of mine recently) :angry::angry::angry:

well tobacco sponsorship should go for 1 reason definitely our health ministry is not allowing our local channel to telecast F1 because of it

a question for you all, when was the last time someone had a cigarette only and caused damage, and was being anti social after just 1 fag. If fags are bad, what is alcohol then?

I don't see what is so evil about having 'Marlboro' on your car :huh: As if Children will be seriously encouraged to take up smoking just because it is on a Ferrari, anyway the parents should stop them from buying them as it is their responsibility what their children do. It pumps a lot of money into Formula One and other motor racing competitions and with the costs of F1 at the moment they are invaluable, but at the same time I am sure the teams can get that money else where.

This is a typical fanatical reposnse from a Ferrari Fan. I exclude Fedup, AR5 & Pumpdoc from this as they are not fanatical and are more of an F1 fan and happened to like Ferrari and MS. But a fan like Cavallinho will hate the following for no apparent reason.

Rubens: "cause he started to talk back about Ferrari and MS.

Michellin: 'cause they have superior tire atm.

Bridgestone: Considered responsible for this years Ferrari's and MS poor showing.

Stoddart: For his outspoken views of Ferrari

JPM: For taking on MS a few times sucessfuly.

Everyone has to agree that cigarette smoking is bad for you... my younger brother (44) died of lung cancer 2 years ago last June followed by my Mom (73) in Sept (2 years coming up) from Pancreatic cancer. My Brother smoked, my Mom did not and none of the kids smoked in the house growing up or in my parents house later on in life.

I watched it eat away at him for close to 2 years after they gave him 3-6 months to live. I cut back on my smoking to quit before he passed to show him something good came out of his death. When I told him this, he said to live my life. Just because he had cancer did not mean I was going to die from it. I respected his strength making that statement.

I am getting tired of all these ant-smoking holier than though people trying to run my life and telling me what I can and cannot do. Some A**hole politician in New Jersey USA is now talking about banning smoking while driving. If I see her, I will run her over and tell her I did not see her because I was lighting a cigarette. :rolleyes:

smoking was my choice way back when, I am paying for my health insurance in case I do God forbid need it down the road. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Smoking is banned with 100 feet of doorways in some parts of this country, Open air arenas now have smoking bans, and no smoking in bars and restaurants in many places. You cannot even open a place for smokers only.

I guess you can see I am fed up with these clowns dictating what I can and cannot do in this overly PC world we live in. Get your own lives and stop trying to live mine!!!

Smoke em if you got em!!!

I will say one final thing---- If you don't smoke, don't start

If you do smoke and can quit do so!! My hat is off to those that have been able to. the first step is wanting to.

Rubens: "cause he started to talk back about Ferrari and MS.

Michellin: 'cause they have superior tire atm.

Bridgestone: Considered responsible for this years Ferrari's and MS poor showing.

Stoddart: For his outspoken views of Ferrari

JPM: For taking on MS a few times sucessfuly.

Rubens, because I don't think he is good enough for ferrari. in fact that is a disagreement I haev with the team I support. also dont like his habit of saying anything and contradicting himself.

Michelin - the way they handled indy and their press releases blame games etc after indy.

Bridgestone - never said anything against them.

stoddy - for countless false / dumb/ slanderous quotes. will make a list of them sometime, for now just one thing - he was the one who started the blame ferrari business in indy.

JPM - for driving like a maniac, then claiming the FIA is hard on him, for being overrated, for abusing photographers. and for quotes like this

Ted: Do you think you

Everyone has to agree that cigarette smoking is bad for you... my younger brother (44) died of lung cancer 2 years ago last June followed by my Mom (73) in Sept (2 years coming up) from Pancreatic cancer. My Brother smoked, my Mom did not and none of the kids smoked in the house growing up or in my parents house later on in life.

I watched it eat away at him for close to 2 years after they gave him 3-6 months to live. I cut back on my smoking to quit before he passed to show him something good came out of his death. When I told him this, he said to live my life. Just because he had cancer did not mean I was going to die from it. I respected his strength making that statement.

I am getting tired of all these ant-smoking holier than though people trying to run my life and telling me what I can and cannot do. Some A**hole politician in New Jersey USA is now talking about banning smoking while driving. If I see her, I will run her over and tell her I did not see her because I was lighting a cigarette.  :rolleyes:

smoking was my choice way back when, I am paying for my health insurance in case I do God forbid need it down the road. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

Smoking is banned with 100 feet of doorways in some parts of this country, Open air arenas now have smoking bans, and no smoking in bars and restaurants in many places. You cannot even open a place for smokers only.

I guess you can see I am fed up with these clowns dictating what I can and cannot do in this overly PC world we live in. Get your own lives and stop trying to live mine!!!

Smoke em if you got em!!!

I will say one final thing---- If you don't smoke, don't start

If you do smoke and can quit do so!! My hat is off to those that have been able to. the first step is wanting to.

You seem to forget that in closed space non smokers have to swallow your smoke, first I was pretty tolerant with smokers(I'm an ex by the way) But now no way I'm for a complete ban in public space. Where I live there's no ban (yet) on smoking, the other day I was in a restaurant, to people besides my table smoked 16 cigarettes in one hour while we were eating. So now I have no tolerance for smokers anymore as you seem to have no respect whatsoever for other people. Fortunately for me the ban on smoking is on its way everywhere B):rolleyes::P

You seem to forget that in closed space non smokers have to swallow your smoke

So now I have no tolerance for smokers anymore as you seem to have no respect whatsoever for other people.

I was in a restaurant, to people besides my table smoked 16 cigarettes in one hour

My friend, you have not a clue about me. If I sit at a smoking table with non smokers, I wait until everyone finished and ask if it is okay to smoke. If I make reservations. I ask for a non smoking table if there are non smokers with me. I will get up to have a cigarette.

I do not blow smoke in people's faces, instead up over their heads inside or outside.

Having a separate area for smokers and non smokers without a barrier can never work. Having smokers in another room works just fine as long as the non smokers do not have to walk through it to get to the non smokers area. DUH!!! :D

When you were in the restaurant, you should have requested to be moved. What is scary is that you know they had 16 cigarettes in an hour, you must have been great company concentrating on them instead of your table mate(s).

Smokers should not be standing in front of the entrance doors, a short distance away if fine, but 100 feet out in the elements with no protection, come on!!

All the studies about second hand smoke, give me a break. People that live in urban areas such as NYC ingest more chemicals and pollution by walking down 5th Ave with the bus and truck exhaust. Smoking numbers are going down and cancer rates are going up. Now there is something that needs explaining. They say 1/3 of all cancer is related to cigarettes, how about we work on the 2/3 that are from the chemicals and pollutants around us and in our food!!!. Oh that's right, they are big corporate giants with lobbyist that pay off politicians to ignore the chemicals in the food and environment, they ignore the black soot coming out of the power plants and exhaust pipes. Instead lets nail the individual citizens, they have no power to fight back or hurt you, they will never be able to get together.

BTW, ex smokers much less tolerant than people that never smoked so your not alone in your opinions.

After all that... have a wonderful smoke free day Chris.

You seem a very reasonable smoker kennye but many people do exactly the things you mention like hang around the bar/entrance or smoke close to the non-smoking areas. Also if you leave it upto market forces most pubs here tend to err on the side of not turning people away because they want to smoke so at least here in UK almost all pubs allow smoking in some areas. I would therefore favour a complete ban in public places but I appreciate you feel differently. Of course this puts me against tobacco advertising because I think it may well encourage a glamourised image of smoking that increases the number of smokers. The burden of proof lies on the smokers at least to prove this wrong before I change my mind.

You seem a very reasonable smoker kennye but many people do exactly the things you mention like hang around the bar/entrance or smoke close to the non-smoking areas.  Also if you leave it upto market forces most pubs here tend to err on the side of not turning people away because they want to smoke so at least here in UK almost all pubs allow smoking in some areas. I would therefore favour a complete ban in public places but I appreciate you feel differently. Of course this puts me against tobacco advertising because I think it may well encourage a glamourised image of smoking that increases the number of smokers.  The burden of proof lies on the smokers at least to prove this wrong before I change my mind.

I agree. Many times I have sat down in a pub and been forced to inhale the entire volume of smoke around and I find it disgusting; not the people smoking as that is there right, but the smoke which results in it. At the very least there should outside areas where they smoke.

Sorry about your brother and your Mother Kennye... :(

In my case I HATE cigarrete smoke, my parents used to smoke a lot and for some years they left it...

I have never smoked but I cant tolerate it, makes me sick instantly...

I know that smoking publicity is bad, but for many years the cigarretes brands have supported to many teams in F1, who could forget the beautiful red-white Mclaren, I loved that red, almost orange fluorescent color of Marlboro.

All the habits are bad...(alcohol too JR!), and it seems that humans are not intelligent enough to control the habits, so If somebody wants to smoke its your problem, the bad thing with it is that we, the no smokers have to breath all your trash.

Have a good day...smokers and no smokers.

I agree. Many times I have sat down in a pub and been forced to inhale the entire volume of smoke around and I find it disgusting; not the people smoking as that is there right, but the smoke which results in it. At the very least there should outside areas where they smoke.

Yes I agree completely with this. I'm also very sad to hear about your brother and mother Kennye.

My local pub introduced segregated areas for smokers and non smokers alike. Result: the non smokers sit with their smoker friends and the non smoking area is deserted.

Sorry about your brother and your Mother Kennye...  :(

I'm also very sad to hear about your brother and mother Kennye.

Gentlemen, thank you for your sympathy, truly appreciated. It was sad for my brother, he had two sons, one 4 and the other 5. It is our job to keep their memory of their father alive.

I agree, that I am one of the few considerate smokers in this world, most can be annoying.

Ecap, I know a few people that get sick just smelling the smoke so your not alone.

Love the post by MG above, segregated rooms and the non smokers are hanging out in the smoking room. go figure...

I don't mind regulating the advertisements, I don't mind the non smokers, just give us smokers a place to smoke. There are rights for smokers as well as non smokers and those rights are being taken away from us and here in the US dumping more and more "sin taxes" on tobacco products and liquor.

B) In my life on this earth i've seen more than my share of misery, but a person dying of lung cancer is the worst. while I was undergoing treatment for my throat cancer every week while getting my chemo I saw 3 people that were not going to live long, so sad. the first Q. out my doctors mouth was how long have you smoked? ans. never! so I fit into the 2/3 catg. of non-smoking related cancer.

As far as the ban on adverts so whatthey will do like NASCAR and find others, it will be interesting to see the creative new liveries when this happens. B)

firstly, kennye, I echo the sentiments of ecap and Murray. With regards to sponsorship, I agree with pumpdoc, it will be interesting to see which industries will become the main revenuew for sponsorship for the teams. I know McLaren signed a deal with Johnny Walker at the start of the year, but I don't know if it's for a title sponsorship.

"and obviously Ferrari and the FIa were the ones to mention, not the team that is owned by a tobacco company."

Well of course Stoddy was going to mention those two. Ferrari are the biggest and most widely recognised team in F1, hence he used their team boss as an example, whilst Bernie is not with the FIA. He's is the public face of F1 seeing as he basically runs the show. All he is guilty of is using the two biggest names in the sport (drivers aside) as his examples to highlight his very good point.

Sorry about your brother and your Mother Kennye...  :(

All the habits are bad...(alcohol too JR!), and it seems that humans are not intelligent enough to control the habits, so If somebody wants to smoke its your problem, the bad thing with it is that we, the no smokers have to breath all your trash.

I too am sorry about your mother and brother, my dad died as well from smoking when i was only 9. I drink at parties, no other time, i smoke socially with people who smoke, i often go weeks without a cigarette if i want. I smoke da ganja occasionally when i feel overly stressed. I never do anything for the sake of it! But I agree smoking is very bad for you, but i also see that its your choice, if you want to, you shouldnt be stopped as its your life. This sort of opinion cannot be taken though on many subjects but on smoking i feel it to be approriate. I also agree smoking should be banned from public places which are inside.

My friend, you have not a clue about me. If I sit at a smoking table with non smokers, I wait until everyone finished and ask if it is okay to smoke. If I make reservations. I ask for a non smoking table if there are non smokers with me. I will get up to have a cigarette.

I do not blow smoke in people's faces, instead up over their heads inside or outside.

Having a separate area for smokers and non smokers without a barrier can never work. Having smokers in another room works just fine as long as the non smokers do not have to walk through it to get to the non smokers area. DUH!!! :D

When you were in the restaurant, you should have requested to be moved. What is scary is that you know they had 16 cigarettes in an hour, you must have been great company concentrating on them instead of your table mate(s).

Smokers should not be standing in front of the entrance doors, a short distance away if fine, but 100 feet out in the elements with no protection, come on!!

All the studies about second hand smoke, give me a break. People that live in urban areas such as NYC ingest more chemicals and pollution by walking down 5th Ave with the bus and truck exhaust. Smoking numbers are going down and cancer rates are going up. Now there is something that needs explaining. They say 1/3 of all cancer is related to cigarettes, how about we work on the 2/3 that are from the chemicals and pollutants around us and in our food!!!. Oh that's right, they are big corporate giants with lobbyist that pay off politicians to ignore the chemicals in the food and environment, they ignore the black soot coming out of the power plants and exhaust pipes. Instead lets nail the individual citizens, they have no power to fight back or hurt you, they will never be able to get together.

BTW, ex smokers much less tolerant than people that never smoked so your not alone in your opinions.

After all that... have a wonderful smoke free day Chris.

Here we go again! You can't say anything against smokers without being labeled some sort of ayatollahs which are frustrated because they can't enjoy life. Well,I'm not an integrist muslim (not yet B) and I certainly enjoy life as much as any smokers. As for counting my neigbour's cigarettes it was not particularly difficult. their table was 20 inches from yours.

I too am sorry about your mother and brother, my dad died as well from smoking when i was only 9. I drink at parties, no other time, i smoke socially with people who smoke, i often go weeks without a cigarette if i want. I smoke da ganja occasionally when i feel overly stressed. I never do anything for the sake of it! But I agree smoking is very bad for you, but i also see that its your choice, if you want to, you shouldnt be stopped as its your life. This sort of opinion cannot be taken though on many subjects but on smoking i feel it to be approriate. I also agree smoking should be banned from public places which are inside.

Hey you look like a sensible geezer Jenson Rules :) . Event though I don't smoke cigarettes I smoke the odd spliff now ant then. I prefer cannabis though as grass has become too strong ( Amster. skunk) lately. B)

I believe smoking should be banned altogether. Sure, it's your life, you can choose to die if you want to, but statistic shows that people who inhale 2nd hand smoke is at a greater risk of getting lung cancer.

Kill yourself if you want to, but people who smoke are killing their friends and families, in public places it's disturbing and disgusting.

Even after you smoke the smell stays in your mouth, and when I talk to people who smoke I can hardly concentrate because of the foul air coming from their mouth.

Not only that it causes pollution

Sorry if I'd offended anyone, but I can't see a single advantage of smoking.

It kills everyone, including the earth.