Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

'cosworth-backed Williams To Meet Button'

'Cosworth-backed Williams to meet Button'

(Planetf1)

Frank Williams is planning a meeting with Jenson Button after securing the use of Cosworth engines next season, according to The Guardian.

With an engine deal now finalised, Williams hopes to convince Button to honour his contract and join the team.

It is widely believed that Button wants to remain with BAR rather than return to the struggling Williams outfit. Frank Williams, however, has a strong relationship with the driver and still hopes to convince Button that the team which gave him his F1 breakthrough in 2000 can still match his ambitions.

BAR have already denied offering Anthony Davidson plus financial compensation in return for retaining Jenson, and the Guardian quotes a spokesman declaring: "We haven't had any discussions with Williams at all regarding this as a solution, so it is pure supposition that this could be one option for resolving the matter. I am sure we would listen to any options proposed by Williams but at the moment all the discussions are between Jenson and Williams."

Of more immediacy is the news that Williams have secured a deal with Cosworth.

The team have apparently decided to ditch BMW next season and turned to Cosworth after Toyota accepted that they couldn't supply a third team as they already have an existing deal with Jordan.

'It is understood that Patrick Head, Williams' director of engineering, told the workforce last week that they would use the Northampton-built 2.4-litre V8 Cosworth engine next season rather than accept BMW's offer to tide them over,' The Guardian reports.

Williams will have to pay Cosworth in the region of

Well, maybe so.

I wasn't aware that Jenson had been having talks with Frank, I just hope that he makes his mind up quickly and that the thing is resolved asap.

JS.