Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

Talks Move Forward For F1 Unity

Formula One moved closer to unity and steered away from a breakaway series Friday after representatives of the Grand Prix Manufacturers Association (GPMA) met FIA president Max Mosley to discuss the future. The breakthrough discussions over the sport's future are the first between the two groups this year and came after the GPMA released a set of suggestions in response to Mosley's proposals for the 2008 regulations.

Mosley met in Cannes, France Friday morning with Toyota president John Howett and team chief Tsutomo Tomita, McLaren boss Ron Dennis and BMW board member Burkhard Goeschel. "I think it is the first time there has been an official response to the proposed regulations and it was a very open and constructive meeting, very positive," said Howett, who arrived at Hungaroring Friday afternoon.

Howett said that further discussions would take place amongst the group this weekend as they digest the outcome of the meeting but refused to go into and further specifics until all teams have been informed.

Jordan and Red Bull have already joined Ferrari in signing up to Formula One until 2012 and have jointly attended meetings with the FIA to discuss the future rules that have so far been shunned by the other teams. The remaining teams associated with the GPMA have so far refused to commit to the Formula One world championship beyond 2007 and have continually threatened a breakaway series.

However after meeting Mosley, Howett said he is more confident of a solution and when asked if it was an end to the breakaway plans. "It is difficult to say but I would say it is less likely, based on the discussions we had," admitted Howett.

The members of the GPMA, which was set up last week and includes Mercedes parent DaimlerChrysler, BMW, Renault, Toyota and Honda, are holding out for an improved commercial deal for the future.

But they have now accepted they must put those grievances aside to focus on forming the regulations for the sport they are now likely to sign up to compete in beyond the end of the current Concorde agreement in 2007.

Regulation proposals for 2008 have been controversial as the sport aims to cut costs while retaining some technology but Mosley has relented in some of his ambitious plans in recent weeks.

That's fantastic news, thank you for that Monty.

Looks like we won't be seeing a breakaway formula too soon, i'm glad that Max has had to back down also.

JS.

Dream, dream, dream, dream...ahhh the forum paradise... :)

Thanks for the info Monty...

dream, dream...

Well seeing as how Ferrari are signed with the new deal, if the FIA agree to alot of the proposals put forward by the GPMA, then it's only logical that the remaining teams (bar Red Bull and Midland who have signed already) will sign in time. It's looking alot better than it was.

This dream/unity, must not include Ferrari

Why Not?

You have to remember that in Indy, they were not at the meetings because they were willing to go with whatever solution the other teams found. it's not their fault they could only think of crap like that chicane, and I think Max was right to deny that. I don't usually like much of what Mosley says, but on this occasion I think he was right... but the teams should have gone to Charlie Whiting, NOT Max Mosley in that situation anyways, he shouldn't have had to have any input.

so back to my question, why CANT the dream and unity include Ferrari?

well a lot still rides on whether ferrari still retain a veto on the tech reg changes, and of course the contentious issue of income distribution. good first steps though considering how far gone the situation seemed to be.

well a lot still rides on whether ferrari still retain a veto on the tech reg changes, and of course the contentious issue of income distribution.  good first steps though considering how far gone the situation seemed to be.

Well the income thing is down to the FIA more than the team surely?

They will try to change the tire change rule, so that they can go back to last year's type of pit stop, both tires and fuel at same time, because that will help them alot

pieces falling into place. its been fairly predictable after the landmark judgement brought out after the 'trial', the one not giving any immediate punishment to michelin teams.

its going to be F1 with ferrari and most of the other top teams. BAR look as precarious as ever.

but Ferrari, RBR, and Jordan are the only three teams so far to keep F1 going after 2008, it does not look like the Michelin runners want to race after 2007

but Ferrari, RBR, and Jordan are the only three teams so far to keep F1 going after 2008, it does not look like the Michelin runners want to race after 2007

Is that not why the talks are taking place?

Is that not why the teams have been suggesting their own ammendments to regulations for 2008 onwards?

i.e theyre doing this because they DONT really want to break away, and the FIA are now giving them more input.

and the fia needs to listen to the teams for rule changes, or the teams can tell ferrari and ferrari will definately get the rules changed

well a lot still rides on whether ferrari still retain a veto on the tech reg changes,

more uninformed ferrari hate. not just ferrari, every single team has a veto for regulation changes.