Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Hakkinen Tips Kimi For Title Glory

HAKKINEN TIPS KIMI FOR TITLE GLORY

ITV

34154_1.jpg

Retired double world champion Mika Hakkinen has tipped compatriot Kimi Raikkonen to become world champion this year.

The Finnish ace, who now races for Mercedes in the DTM, visited the Hungarian Grand Prix last weekend.

And after witnessing Raikkonen's dominant display at first hand, declared the young McLaren star fully capable of pulling off a shock title victory in spite of Fernando Alonso's 26-point lead.

"He [Kimi] has every chance of winning this year because he is such an extremely talented driver," Hakkinen told Autosport magazine.

"He is young, he is motivated and he has a team behind him which is really pushing at the highest level.

"There are other strong teams, but none is stronger than McLaren. He has the best possible team to win the world championship."

Hakkinen, who won both his championships with McLaren, also had advice on how to deal with the disappointment of car failures.

And that's something Kimi knows all about in 2005.

"Technical problems are something you can do nothing about as a driver, in the sense that you are not able to go and redesign the pistons, or whatever," said Hakkinen.

"What you can do is ensure that with your own performances and the way you work with the team, their motivation to keep pushing is high.

"I think you can see with a performance like he produced this weekend Kimi is more than capable of doing that."

I definitly hopw that Kimi wins it but it will be very hard. McLaren needs to have 100% reabilty so that he can fight for a win everyti,e for the rest of the year and hope that Alonso has a problem like he did in Hungry, and if he has one more race with out any points and Kimi wins it, it will be very close and interasting.

As a spaniard, I hope Fernando win. He is a worthy champ. Having said that, I am sure that someday (but not this season I hope) Kimi will also win a WDC. Both represent the future of the sport, and I am sure that both will give us many interesting seasons in the future.

Yeah, but it's nice to know that Mika is supporting Kimi, it's really good to see a driver helping out another driver like that. I certainly think that he can do it, although i'd prefer Alonso to get it.

JS.

mclaren are not going to win this season due to their sheer incompetence. they build fast cars and then screw up and depend on providence as they did in 99, or on DC doing dumb things as in 98.

they will need all the luck they can get as their are more technical glitches coming. mclaren never learn.

"I am sure that someday (but not this season I hope) Kimi will also win a WDC. Both represent the future of the sport, and I am sure that both will give us many interesting seasons in the future"

very well said. As for myself, I really don't have a preference as to which driver wins this year, however Alonso does have a solid gap, and unless his car suffers a myriad of technical problems and/or he has a loss of form, then Alonso should win the World Championship.

I am hoping Kimi wins it, I would just prefer Kimi Riakkonen as the next champ. It is way overdue for him, really he should have won it before, he should have won more races than he has, but he has had that bad luck which he just cant shake.

Alonso is fast and a racer but he just doesn't feel like a champion yet, if we get to see him and Kimi go head to head I bet you would see Kimi cruise past him with ease. Kimi just looks more like the worthy champion, he is just extremely skilled, just look at the way he made mince meet of the field in the opening laps of the British GP. Even though he hast one of the fastest cars he still has to drive it fast, he is the one that is pushing the car and getting every last 1000th of a second out of it.

For they are both worthy of a WDC. I would like to see Fernando win this year. I may dislike Kimi but hes a great talent. However with Mclarens pathetic reliability this year, I can't see Kimi winning unless FA has more problems like at Hungary!

Alonso is fast and a racer but he just doesn't feel like a champion yet, if we get to see him and Kimi go head to head I bet you would see Kimi cruise past him with ease. Kimi just looks more like the worthy champion, he is just extremely skilled, just look at the way he made mince meet of the field in the opening laps of the British GP. Even though he hast one of the fastest cars he still has to drive it fast, he is the one that is pushing the car and getting every last 1000th of a second out of it.

Absolutelly disagree here. FA has all the skills to become the youngest ever world champion and in a very deserve fashion.

I am hoping Kimi wins it, ...he hast one of the fastest cars he still has to drive it fast, he is the one that is pushing the car and getting every last 1000th of a second out of it.

Yeah, thats the reason he brakes the cars...needs more learning

Ecapdeville, you need to learn that he does not make the cars break down. How do you know this? The engines are set at a rev limiter so its not like he can over rev it. And all the hydrolic problems there is nothing he can do about that,it is not like he adds the fluid before the race. Dont be hating think about think about things for a little.

I am hoping Kimi wins it, I would just prefer Kimi Riakkonen as the next champ. It is way overdue for him, really he should have won it before, he should have won more races than he has, but he has had that bad luck which he just cant shake.

Mate, Alonso is just as able to drive fast as Kimi is. As to what would happen in an even field between the 2 if they ever race, I think you would be suprised by the result. Both are skilled drivers.

Well, if both drivers were driving exactly the same car, I think that kimi would get away better and gain a little lead on him, but thoughout the race, Alonso would pull it back through consistency and looking after his equipment and so I think that he'd probably just tke it if that were to happen.

JS.