Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CC

Button Fearful Of Track Surface

From the BBC Website.

-----------------------------

Jenson Button fears the new surface on the Istanbul Otodrom could cause havoc in the inaugural Turkish Grand Prix.

The tarmac on turn eight has become bumpy after practice and Button fears the intense pounding it will take under race conditions could cause trouble.

"It is getting bumpier definitely," he said. "Hopefully it's not going to get worse throughout the race.

"When there's 58 laps with 20 cars going round it's going to be pretty tough for the circuit."

The Briton was one of several drivers to fall foul of turn eight in qualifying on Saturday.

The BAR-Honda driver was setting a good pace until he made a mistake, his car veering off course and eventually coming home in 13th.

"I think we can still score some good points but I don't think Renault or McLaren need to worry about us," he said. "Apart from them we can really challenge anyone."

Button was not the only driver to make a costly mistake.

Team-mate Takuma Sato and Sauber's Jacques Villeneuve also went off at turn eight while world champion Michael Schumacher suffered two corners later and finished well down the grid.

With Rubens Barrichello only managing 11th spot, Ferrari were quick to write off their chances of winning on Sunday.

"I think the most we can hope for is to get our cars home in the points," said team boss Jean Todt, who blamed a lack of grip for a poor show in qualifying.

"We were ready for a difficult qualifying session but the result was worse than we had expected."

Interesting reading. It looks like the inaugural Grand Prix of Turkey will be quite eventful. The track is a good length with a circuit perimeter of 5,340 m with plenty of challenging corners, some blind, some technically challenging and some

I agree I haven't been this excited in the build-up to a grand prix since the 2000 Suzuka Title decider. I think Turn Eight will provide us with a few misdemeanours which will certainly test the drivers to the ultimate. But if there is a problems with the surface of the track as Button has detailed, then it will make the race even more exciting. This is certainly the best and most enthralling new race track to be introduced into the Formula One calendar in a long time. Hermann Tilke deserves a lot of credit.

I agree I haven't been this excited in the build-up to a grand prix since the 2000 Suzuka Title decider. I think Turn Eight will provide us with a few misdemeanours which will certainly test the drivers to the ultimate. But if there is a problems with the surface of the track as Button has detailed, then it will make the race even more exciting. This is certainly the best and most enthralling new race track to be introduced into the Formula One calendar in a long time. Hermann Tilke deserves a lot of credit.

Malaysia and Shanghai are also good tracks of his creation. Turn 1 at China is quite unique although the Pangkor Laut chicane is undoubtedly similar if less pronounced and this repetition is slightly undesirable as tracks loose their character if they are all clones of each of other but the similarities between Tilke

well said. It looks a very demanding track which will certainly test the drivers.

Perhaps if he thinks the surface will be that bad he should have set his car up a bit softer to handle the bumps.

Not crying sour grapes after realising he has the wrong setup.

Yup.

Well, 1 hour and 20 minutes to go untill the coverage starts on ITV, I really can't wait to see what the track is like when it comes to race-day.

JS.

Perhaps if he thinks the surface will be that bad he should have set his car up a bit softer to handle the bumps.

Not crying sour grapes after realising he has the wrong setup.

What you on about? he wasnt to know it would be bumpy as he hadnt had any problems with it before!

What you on about? he wasnt to know it would be bumpy as he hadnt had any problems with it before!

The small adventure Jenson had was like Michael's. The back end just got away. It is a shame really but Michael was expecting that after making heavy changes to the car, Jenson was not and looked on cue to getting right up between 3-5 on the grid.

The small adventure Jenson had was like Michael's. The back end just got away. It is a shame really but Michael was expecting that although making heavy changes to the car, Jenson was not and looked on cue to getting right up between 3-5 on the grid.

He was looking for P2 mate! At least he didnt loose control and kept hold of his car so it didnt spin!

He was looking for P2 mate! At least he didnt loose control and kept hold of his car so it didnt spin!

No one should lose the car at that high speed turn but it can't be compared to turn 9.

well i havnt seen the track at all because ive been out a work and stuff! im soo excited bout today though, should be excellent!

The Same thing seemed to happen to a lot of drivers on turn 8,9.

The back of the car lost grip and slid.

I expect a few more cars to go off during the race.