Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Herbert Homes In On Nascar Ride

HERBERT HOMES IN ON NASCAR RIDE

ITV

34357_1.jpg

Former Formula 1 driver Johnny Herbert, who recently joined the Jordan Midland operation as its sporting relations manager, claims he is close to a deal to race in America's leading motorsport series NASCAR.

The 41-year-old Briton has made no secret of the fact that he wants to return to competitive action and has enjoyed a long spell in sportscar racing since retiring from F1 with Jaguar in 2000.

When announcing his Jordan deal, Herbert revealed that he was chasing a NASCAR ride, and now it seems that it may become a reality.

"It's something that Mark Perkins (formerly of IMG), who helps me out now and again, has been working on for a good few months," Herbert told Autosport.

"Mark's more of a finance man and it's through speaking to his contacts that this started, and it has all just progressed from there.

"The group basically wants to get into NASCAR and I've always been interested but never really known how to get involved, being a non-American.

"But it's got to the point where, hopefully, in the next month we'll know if it's a goer or not."

NASCAR is a predominantly oval-based category and requires a different approach to racing than F1.

It is also regarded as one of the most difficult motorsport disciplines to break into.

But Herbert remains undeterred.

"I had a look at IRL but that never really took off and NASCAR is something else," he said.

"I like ovals and I like a challenge. A lot of people shy away from anything with a wall near it but I'd be up for it. After all, I started my F1 career in a wheelchair and left in one too!

"NASCAR is very different from what I know but it would be a good thing to do. I'd have to learn it because the racing is very different."

B) I don't know about this as he's way over the market age for a top team--they want them young.........................

I for one would dearly like to see ole Johhny racing again, if it has to be in NASCAR then so be it, I shall support him nevertheless.

Bajo, what nationality are you?

Also, it would be cool for him to go into NASCAR.

Indeed, although if this is to happen, he'll probably end up with a mid-grid team that are pretty desperate. I think he'll do ok, but won't really achieve a great deal.

JS.