Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

Layout For The South African Track

Layout of the new track near capetown. South Africa.

HERE

A 2009 F1 race in Cape Town would be called the 'African grand prix'.

That's the revelation of the South African bid consortium's David Gant, who checked out the inaugural Turkish venue in Istanbul last week.

He told British magazine Autosport that, unlike the 'South African' races of 1962-1993, a new event would be called simply the 'African' grand prix.

loving those two long, long straights between turns 3 and 4! Looks like a very good layout, is it designed by Tilke?

I'm not sure, the layout looks bizarre. There are some very long straights. Turn 15 looks very close to the track on the other side... Will have to see them racing on it to get a real idea of how it is like

Half that track (first half) must have been taken from Sebring. look at a map of Sebring.

Looks a pretty average track to me, not too bad but nothing too special really. It shouyld be good when we come to actually watching them race there.

JS.

I must say the layout, in my opinion, looks rather good. Perhaps it could do with another corner after turn two, but really everything else looks ok.

I must say the layout, in my opinion, looks rather good. Perhaps it could do with another corner after turn two, but really everything else looks ok.

I think the layout is too cramped and apart from the S-section, I don't see any difficults sequences.

looks very good. T3 looks to be a good overtaking spot

I agree shadow, but it's too bad that it doesn't go in the opposite direction, as you would have more overtaking at Turn 2 if it was counter-clockwise (???? - with it essentially wrapping in on itself, it's hard to know how to characterize the rotation).

Right now, the kink at Turn 1 will make it very difficult to pass into 2, but if it went the other way, you'd have two very long straights ending in hard-braking, tight-radius curves, which is pretty much the only way you get any overtaking now-a-days. :angry::angry::angry:

This track doesn't look at all very promising. There are too many long straights and no real challenging corners. Looks like another Hochenheim if you ask me.... and that is the track before its modifications in 2002.

I dont care too much what the track looks like... As long as South Africa get another GP.

By the way, as a South African I do think the organisers are a bunch of idiots having the race in Cape town when the home of South African motorsport is Johannesburg & this is also where the majority of racing fans are situated.

Not a bad looking track I suppose :unsure:

i really dont like it, how many straights are needed? Its got the start/finish straight, the straight between 2 and 3, then a straight after 3 then theres just a load of unchallenging boring corners! What a load of twoddle! I could design a better circuit! Actually i reckon we should all design circuits then post them to see what we feel would make a good circuit!

Look to neat and tidy. Last time i thought bout that of a track it was Bahrains one which i hate. I like straights but not when their so long its stupid except the Hockeheim track that was made to be a fast track as in that looks plain. Why dont they make a track which was like Germany in forest kinda thing a more natural track than just one in the middle of no where Spa is a good example but thats half a street circuit in a way.

i really dont like it, how many straights are needed? Its got the start/finish straight, the straight between 2 and 3, then a straight after 3 then theres just a load of unchallenging boring corners! What a load of twoddle! I could design a better circuit! Actually i reckon we should all design circuits then post them to see what we feel would make a good circuit!

I agree i think if the FIA let the public design a track or have a little competition for the public to design a track and the winner gets free tickets to the race as much as he or she likes. The different track designs go through insepction and look at any design fault or safety issues and then your left with a few which the drivers and teams shall decide on and then the winner is chosen but yeah JR the track seems boring a long straights and its like the same kinda corners all the time I could design a better track i think.

I dont care too much what the track looks like... As long as South Africa get another GP.

By the way, as a South African I do think the organisers are a bunch of idiots having the race in Cape town when the home of South African motorsport is Johannesburg & this is also where the majority of racing fans are situated.

Not a bad looking track I suppose :unsure:

Johannesburg is too dangerous for F1 being far worse than any other city on the calendar. Cape Town is much better from this most important perspective.

Johannesburg is too dangerous for F1 being far worse than any other city on the calendar.  Cape Town is much better from this most important perspective.

Indeed, johannesburg is too dangerous a city!

Johannesburg is too dangerous for F1 being far worse than any other city on the calendar.  Cape Town is much better from this most important perspective.

Not true... Kyalami (Which is said to be in Johannesburg) is infact about 40km (25miles) outside of Johannesburg in an area with much less crime than Cape Town!