Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monty

$90m May Change Frank's Mind

A staggering $90 million, it is reported, may convince Sir Frank Williams to let Jenson Button stay at BAR next season. UK tabloid 'News Of The World' said that, although Williams seemed recently unwilling to negotiate, the ballpark figure was hit back into the Honda co-owned team's court after Frank knocked back an earlier $36m plea.

"Frank can play hardball on this," a supposed 'insider' told the newspaper, "because we have a watertight contact with Jenson for next season."

BAR principal Nick Fry is unwilling to put a figure on the value of 25 year old Button to the Brackley team, but he did say that it's 'a lot.' "There has been a number of letters going backwards and forwards," he also revealed, "and discussions."

Button is, no doubt, perhaps keener than all to find a compromise. As well as baulking at the concept of a Cosworth-powered Williams, he reportedly has a five year, $18m per-year BAR deal in sight.

If this deal goes thru, and if Rubens wins the first race for BAR, then BAR will look absolutely stupid, and Sir Williams will laugh his butt off. excited4.gif

How desperate are BAR? That is an utterly rediculous sum of money to compensate Williams although it will do them a lot of good.

hahahahaha, what an obscene amount of money for one man, though you have to admit, BAR and Honda could easily afford it without damaging their chances next year!

That is an immense amount of money for 1 driver. But I wont complain if he stays at BAR, cos they'll surely be more competitive than williams

That is an immense amount of money for 1 driver. But I wont complain if he stays at BAR, cos they'll surely be more competitive than williams

Definately true.... the old Williams dominate era finished a long time ago although I feel sorry for Frank that it never came back to F1 for now 8 years now.

That's more than half of Jaguar's reported $150 million dollar budget last year.

^That would be quite something.lol

I'm not bothered, I don't think that Button will be very successful next year, which ever team he goes to.

JS.

^That would be quite something.lol

I'm not bothered, I don't think that Button will be very successful next year, which ever team he goes to.

JS.

I don't expect Button to ever be successful unless he is driving for Ferrari (I don't see him going to McLaren or Renault as both already have a better lead driver).

This is a gargantuan sum of money. I have great difficultly believing this figure Monty.

I seriously doubt that $90 million to pay for a driver is unreal, the most is $30 mil, or the highest that Schumi gets paid

I seriously doubt that $90 million to pay for a driver is unreal, the most is $30 mil, or the highest that Schumi gets paid

We shall soon see! I expect BAR Honda to offer a rather generous sum of money to Sir Frank

If JB wants to stay at BAR, Frank deserves the whole 90 million for the humiliation he's suffering.

Why doesn't bar make an offer to buy williams! That will work out cheaper imo! B)

Why doesn't bar make an offer to buy williams! That will work out cheaper imo! B)

:D:D:D Good Idea!

If JB wants to stay at BAR, Frank deserves the whole 90 million for the humiliation he's suffering.

Err, Excuse me, what humilliation is frank suffering from? I cant see him suffering any, if anything button is the one being humiliated!

... and I'm sure by now that all the other average drivers feel like they're being seriously underpaid :)

How desperate are BAR? That is an utterly rediculous sum of money to compensate Williams although it will do them a lot of good.

it is utterly ridiculous. plus pay the 18m p/year on top of that?? it is news of the world, but similar stories have been going around. eg 80m

it is utterly ridiculous.  plus pay the 18m p/year on top of that??  it is news of the world, but similar stories have been going around.  eg 80m

Ridiculous yes but this is the BAR Honda management that we

"if anything button is the one being humiliated!"

It's all his own doing.