Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Mansell To Make Gp Comeback

MANSELL TO MAKE GP COMEBACK

ITV

34438_1.jpg

British motor racing icon Nigel Mansell is set to return to high-profile single-seater racing after signing up to race in the new Grand Prix Masters series.

The 1992 Formula 1 world champion, now 52, is the latest veteran ace to agree to race in the new concept that pits superstar names from the past against each other in 600bhp, 3.3-litre adapted 1999 Reynard Champ Cars racers.

"In one word, the Masters is going to be an awesome challenge," the former Williams and Ferrari star told Autosport magazine.

"It's back to the old days in terms of racing. The cars will all be able to run closely, we'll be changing gear and it will be a level playing field.

"I think it will be more like when I came into F1, when the power levels of the cars were all pretty similar."

All drivers have to be over 45 to compete and ten former F1 stars have signed up so far.

Among them are other world champions Alan Jones and Emerson Fittipaldi, Mansell's former Williams team-mate Riccardo Patrese and multiple GP winner Rene Arnoux.

Four-time world champion Alain Prost is one of several drivers being courted by the organisers of the event.

"What's intriguing is to see how everybody will do," said Mansell.

"The minimum age limit of 45 will make it very interesting, as it keeps us in the same sort of bracket."

Former European wind-surfing champion Scott Poulter, the brains behind the new series, says Mansell's three-year commitment is a glowing endorsement of the new category.

"Nigel has been presented a with a number of offers over the years but this is the first one that he has decided is truly credible," said Poulter.

"He has been attracted by the prospect of the close racing we believe these cars will produce."

B) I'd pay money to see this--hope it comes true!!!!

Aparently Kyalami in South Africa has a masters Grand Prix at the end of this year... Ill be there!

In the country or at the race?

I live in SA, so ill go to the race if goes ahead here.

Ok, enjoy.  Take some photographs and then post them on the forum!

Will definately do so!