Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

One Set Of Tyres Per Race Rule Again

I really don't see why we should have drivers with tyres that could come off anytime going down the track at 350 kmph. there has to be a better solution, this is just too risky.

though there is also the fact that this could theoretically have happened even if they were allowed multiple sets and Michelin went in with a very soft compound. Mclaren probably would have gambled then too. But this kind of incidents have only begun after the one tyre rule came in.

so what do you do? Should the stewards be entitled to force the driver to change his tyres? I don't see that working, because the only people who can make a judgement is the team.

A control tyre is an obvious solution, but in my opinion something has to change for next year.

I really don't see why we should have drivers with tyres that could come off anytime going down the track at 350 kmph. there has to be a better solution, this is just too risky.

though there is also the fact that this could theoretically have happened even if they were allowed multiple sets and Michelin went in with a very soft compound. Mclaren probably would have gambled then too. But this kind of incidents have only begun after the one tyre rule came in.

so what do you do? Should the stewards be entitled to force the driver to change his tyres? I don't see that working, because the only people who can make a judgement is the team.

A control tyre is an obvious solution, but in my opinion something has to change for next year.

It's only risky because the manufacturers are pushing their designs too far. We need a single tyre supplier - that would solve the problem.

do you think the danger to the drivers is enough to warrant a rule change for next year?

Mmmmm, tough to say... Perhaps. I don't have a strong opinion on tyre changes for next year but I think ultimately they must be banned and a single control tyre brough in.

do you think the danger to the drivers is enough to warrant a rule change for next year?

Yes...............

I think we should go back to last year, what is wrong with having fresh tyres everytime you pit?

The one tyre rule has not made any race more interesting except for Monaco, and even if they do spice up the race, there're too little laps to make a big impact. Or else the teams gamble in order to maintain their position (ie KR in N'ring)

I think we should go back to last year, what is wrong with having fresh tyres everytime you pit?

The one tyre rule has not made any race more interesting except for Monaco, and even if they do spice up the race, there're too little laps to make a big impact. Or else the teams gamble in order to maintain their position (ie KR in N'ring)

Yes for heaven sake; they are saving money with the change to V8 next year; they are already saving money this year with the rule of using the same engine for two grand prix so tyres shouldn't be much of a problem. The new rule is rediculous.

I'm with Dan on this one, bring in a control tyre and all these problems will disappear. I think if anything they should ban refuelling and allow tyre changes. Tyres should either be a soft or hard, no in between, and drivers are allowed to pit in when required. We may see some drivers opt for a hard compound tyre attempt to go all the way without pitting, and then we'll have those on soft compound be faster and attempt to catch and pass those on hard compounds as their tyres falter. That's just my suggestion.

After watching Mclaren over step their own limits yet again at Monza(this time with there tyres), & with me been an Alonso fan.... I can say I love the Rule!!! HAHA

I'm with Dan on this one, bring in a control tyre and all these problems will disappear. I think if anything they should ban refuelling and allow tyre changes. Tyres should either be a soft or hard, no in between, and drivers are allowed to pit in when required. We may see some drivers opt for a hard compound tyre attempt to go all the way without pitting, and then we'll have those on soft compound be faster and attempt to catch and pass those on hard compounds as their tyres falter. That's just my suggestion.

I think we should bring in a control tyre, ban tyre changes and ban refueling. Can you imagine how difficult the cars would be to handle at the start of the race on 200kg of fuel and cold tyres? Now that would separate the men from the boys!

I think we should bring in a control tyre, ban tyre changes and ban refueling.  Can you imagine how difficult the cars would be to handle at the start of the race on 200kg of fuel and cold tyres? Now that would separate the men from the boys!

This is one of those occasions when I agree wholeheartedly with you. An eminently sensible suggestion and one which takes us back to the era of Mansell, Prost, Senna, Piquet et al.

This is one of those occasions when I agree wholeheartedly with you. An eminently sensible suggestion and one which takes us back to the era of Mansell, Prost, Senna, Piquet et al.

Ohh..the romantic one...ahh I miss that

...and what glorious days those were!

Yes, and changing tyres were possible...

Indeed but the beauty was that performance came down to the driver much moreso than it ever could with the cars being as easy to drive as they are at the moment. Let's make it as difficult as possible to drive F1 cars and really sort the drivers out by skill, not by the quality of their equipment as we do now. Banning tyre changes, banning refueling, banning tyre warmers, banning semi-auto gearboxes - these are all things that woudl encourage that.

Indeed but the beauty was that performance came down to the driver much moreso than it ever could with the cars being as easy to drive as they are at the moment.  Let's make it as difficult as possible to drive F1 cars and really sort the drivers out by skill, not by the quality of their equipment as we do now.  Banning tyre changes, banning refueling, banning tyre warmers, banning semi-auto gearboxes - these are all things that woudl encourage that.

I think you are going really far...

"This is one of those occasions when I agree wholeheartedly with you. An eminently sensible suggestion and one which takes us back to the era of Mansell, Prost, Senna, Piquet et al."

Ah the glory days. I still believe tyre changes should be re-introduced.

"This is one of those occasions when I agree wholeheartedly with you. An eminently sensible suggestion and one which takes us back to the era of Mansell, Prost, Senna, Piquet et al."

Ah the glory days. I still believe tyre changes should be re-introduced.

Yeah, I agree that they should be allowed, but if we're looking at a fairly hard compound tyre then the teams would have to weigh up the advantage of fresh tyres against the disadvantage of losing 20 odd seconds for the stop. In other words leave it up to the teams - I don't think we'd see them coming in every 10 laps.

did that make any sense?

yeah it does. As I mentioned earlier, I'd go back to the old days when drivers chose from soft or hard. You'd see those with hard compound try to go the full race distance and those with soft compound will most probably have to stop but with fresh rubber will chase down those opting not to stop on hard tyres.

yeah it does. As I mentioned earlier, I'd go back to the old days when drivers chose from soft or hard. You'd see those with hard compound try to go the full race distance and those with soft compound will most probably have to stop but with fresh rubber will chase down those opting not to stop on hard tyres.

Exactly what I meant but you put it much better. I'm not always completely awake in the mornings.