Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knight The Prof

Professor Sid Watkins

John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Michael Palin would laugh at your ignorance far more than they would the parrot sketch

There is no spam :)

nearly 300 sigs now

cavallino what do you mean Britain is different? You think that just because we don't have an empire any more we should get rid of the queen's honours? You utter twat you don't know anything. You talk complete Sh#te do you know how much of an idiot you sound. I wonder what Elton John, Stirling Moss think of your ridiculous view.

Like I said, to receive an honour from the queen, in recognition of your contribution to your industry, is the highest honour.

I take back name-calling. But you really do enjoy to wind me up with your absolutely ludicrous comments, which could be viewed as being a verbal attack on britain's heritage

Fair enough, just edit your post.

I have no problem with British Heritage except when it involves the British Empire. I am the citizen of a country that was a British colony, and the memories I have heard from my family are not pleasant, I assure you. I do not see the point of continuing to refer to the empire in titles.

OBE stands for Order of the British Empire.

this might be instructive

http://www.jubileebooks.co.uk/jubilee/news...s/031127_01.asp

BTW I am not trying to wind you up, I just tend to be very vocal with my opinions.

India has had its freedom for a long time. Britain is not a barbaric country. There was an age when France Spain and Britain competed to conquer new lands and often treat the locals far too harshly. This has got nothing to do with present day's queens honours. Receiving an OBE or knighthood certainly doesnt mean that you support British soldiers killing people

No point judging countries by its past

Every country on earth has done bad things

And the Empire did much unpublicised good. It is only the bad things that are spoken about which is unfortunate and unfair, for it does not give a true account of history

When the bad encompasses the absolutely heinous , the good has to pale into insignificance in comparison. The good cannot compensate for what would today be called crimes against humanity, the very things that Britain among other countries is trying to convict Saddam Hussein (for example) of.

Britain should disassociate itself of the past that is best forgotten, just like Germany has done.

Its a different world now compared with then. There is no point in Bush apologising for the treatment of the American Indians or Ron Howard apologising for the culling of the aboriginies or Berlusconi apologising for the excesses of the Romans, none of them were even born when that stuff took place

Different world

"Ron Howard apologising for the culling of the aboriginies"

erm, actually it's John Howard, Ron Howard was that guy from Happy Days

Actaully cavallino we Brits are very proud of our empire. Our tiny little country was once the superpower of the world, you can't just pretend history didnt happen

Actaully cavallino we Brits are very proud of our empire. Our tiny little country was once the superpower of the world, you can't just pretend history didnt happen

INdeed, i am proud of what our country acheived, i however am not proud of being british at this moment in time, we should feel ashamed we elected these baboons to represent us in the house of commons!

No I think you should be locked out of it. We're talking about sid watkins deserving a knighthood and you, as usual, are just using it to attack British tradition

No I think you should be locked out of it. We're talking about sid watkins deserving a knighthood and you, as usual, are just using it to attack British tradition

Williams on Bridgestone in 06, anybody? USGP in 06' anybody? can someone say, hypocrite?

And the Empire did much unpublicised good. It is only the bad things that are spoken about which is unfortunate and unfair, for it does not give a true account of history…
YES THEY DID SOME unpublicised good(unintentionally) coz everything they did was to further theur empire and its long term interests(lets get back to what we do best, discuss F1.