Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wez

Ron Starts The Blame Game

Good news for everyone who works at McLaren-Mercedes, they aren't to blame for Kimi Raikkonen's title defeat. Instead Ron Dennis claims it's F1's backmarkers who are responsible and he even went as far as to say they could cost McLaren the Constructors' title. :clap3:

Im not by any means gloating by posting this topic, but just thought it was extremely funny.

Please can someone explain to me how the 4 points Alonso gained from back markers taking out Monty have single handedly won Alonso the championship.

Sure Ron!

Good news for everyone who works at McLaren-Mercedes, they aren't to blame for Kimi Raikkonen's title defeat. Instead Ron Dennis claims it's F1's backmarkers who are responsible and he even went as far as to say they could cost McLaren the Constructors' title. :clap3:

Im not by any means gloating by posting this topic, but just thought it was extremely funny.

Please can someone explain to me how the 4 points Alonso gained from back markers taking out Monty have single handedly won Alonso the championship.

Sure Ron!

sour grapes for Ronnie. Mclaren Mercedes have only themselves to blame for not giving KR the WDC

I'd be interested to know what RD's exact comments were. No doubt his words have been entirely exaggerated or misinterpreted by whichever source this is from

I'd be interested to know what RD's exact comments were. No doubt his words have been entirely exaggerated or misinterpreted by whichever source this is from

Main topic on Planet F1!

McLaren boss blames backmarkers for Kimi's title defeat

Monday September 26 2005

planetf1

Ron Dennis has blasted Formula One slow coaches who he claims contributed to Kimi Raikkonen's World Championship failure - and could yet rob McLaren of the Constructors' title.

Raikkonen's title quest was ended in Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix when Fernando Alonso became the youngest World Champion in Formula One history with third place at Interlagos.

But Alonso's Renault has not been the fastest car this season, with McLaren enjoying a clear performance advantage at most grands prix.

That advantage was wasted due to a number of mechanical problems which handicapped Raikkonen, while two collisions with backmarkers also played their part.

Raikkonen's team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya was knocked off track late in the races in Turkey and Belgium, handing Alonso four points he was not expecting.

Those incidents did not help Raikkonen's cause but were more damaging to McLaren's Constructors' Championship hopes. They lead that fight by two points but Dennis and Mercedes engine boss Norbert Haug are fuming at the 14 points those incidents cost McLaren.

"If it costs us the Constructors' championship it is not particularly nice," said Dennis.

"It is virtually impossible to go out now in a session and drive round uninterrupted by a whole gaggle of slow cars who don't look in their mirrors."

"The drivers who just don't get out of the way, they influence the outcome of World Championships."

"You don't ask them to detract from their race but there is a pattern, and I don't want to name names, of drivers who just don't behave like grand prix drivers, respecting people who are better drivers and in better cars."

"It's not fair and there's lots of time when these backmarkers have not only caused incidents, there are many times when they have influenced the outcome of races because it is very difficult to get past."

"There are those people who say incidents, accidents, interfering with the leader and everything is good for Formula One. But if you are on the receiving end it is damned frustrating."

Haug is particularly angry with Montoya's Belgian crash, which came when Antonio Pizzonia attempted to unlap himself and instead punted his former Williams team-mate off the track.

Pizzonia was fined

"If it costs us the WCC then its not particularly nice" - there we go, what did I say - it was an exaggeration to say that Ron said that backmarkers have cost mclaren to lose the title

Pizzonia was only racing as a stand in for the injured Nick Heidfeld and Haug disparagingly suggested: "It would not have happened if Nick was behind the wheel."

How true.

"If it costs us the WCC then its not particularly nice" - there we go, what did I say - it was an exaggeration to say that Ron said that backmarkers have cost mclaren to lose the title

Fair enough, Planet F1 did take it out of proportion on their main page, but I only quoted them. Quite funny still.

And yes, Pizzonia is cr@p! as Ive said all along, even after his 7th place finish in his first race back!

He has every right to blame backmarkers. Kimi has been unlucky this year but been the star of the year after that is the new world champion and successor of a great; Fernando Alonso.

He has every right to blame backmarkers. Kimi has been unlucky this year but been the star of the year after that is the new world champion and successor of a great; Fernando Alonso.

They say- once is an accident, twice is coincidence, the third time is a trend. KR has been

Sure Ron!

Ron should start and perhaps even finish the blame game with Juan Montoya. For the hot-headed and error-prone Columbian has made inumerable costly mistakes this season not the least of which was, reportedly, riding dirt bikes with the inevitable result of getting injured and making himself useless for 5 or 6 races. The incidents that Ron is surely refering to were not necessarily the fault of the backmarkers involved - the incident in Turkey, especially, appears to have been Montoya's fault. Aside from this, he has completely failed to play the supporting role required of the slower driver, as he surely is, in any team. Kimi also deserves some blame for he has been far from the 'iceman' he is credited to be, in fact, he has been quite error prone relative to the WDC.

There's only one incident, Pizza boy smashing into Montoya, that can justify Ron saying this. Otherwise, he's talking out of his rear end.

Ron should start and perhaps even finish the blame game with Juan Montoya. For the hot-headed and error-prone Columbian has made inumerable costly mistakes this season not the least of which was, reportedly, riding dirt bikes with the inevitable result of getting injured and making himself useless for 5 or 6 races. The incidents that Ron is surely refering to were not necessarily the fault of the backmarkers involved - the incident in Turkey, especially, appears to have been Montoya's fault. Aside from this, he has completely failed to play the supporting role required of the slower driver, as he surely is, in any team. Kimi also deserves some blame for he has been far from the 'iceman' he is credited to be, in fact, he has been quite error prone relative to the WDC.

I agree with most of that. I think Raikkonen has made more mistakes than Alonso but Alonso did crash at Canada and

They don't call it champion's wall for nothing ;) Then again, Jenson also crashed into it...

An omen perhaps?

(Alonso did not crash into the wall of champions)

I thought he lost his rear end coming round the corner and just tapped champion's wall, knocking out his rear suspension?

I think Jenson crashed into that wall on purpose to make himself feel better :lol:

I think Ron's words have been severely twisted by the editorial staff at Planet-f1 to come up with that Sh#t!

Usually, if you read into what Ron says, hidden behind all the Ron Speak, he usually makes sense. I for one am sure that he would never make such a ludicrous comment.

He has said that the incidents with the back markers might cause them the constructors title.. and yes he is right...just hope it doesnt end up that way ...

Kimi has been pushing too hard and lacks the calm collected manner that Fernando seems to display with his driving. Kimi's qualifying for Brazil depicts this perfectly.

I see: you agree that Montoya is to blame, first and foremost, for McLaren's failure to capture both championships but you disagree about my statements in respect of Kimi's greater fallability relative to Alonso.

Outside of Canada, Fernando has not made any costly mistakes. Kim on the other hand has made a few mistakes this season.

HUh?

McLaren can still easily get the contructors title, and i think they will unless renault really pick up, but i think they will now be more focussed on a drivers title defence in 06.

I see: you agree that Montoya is to blame, first and foremost, for McLaren's failure to capture both championships but you disagree about my statements in respect of Kimi's greater fallability relative to Alonso.

No, I disagree with all of this.

McLaren's unreliability cost Kimi the world title not JPM although the Columbian aided Alonso slightly at several Grand Prix to the obvious detriment of the iceman but Montoya was not at all a major factor.

I think Kimi has made more mistakes than Alonso but I was just reminding the forum that Alonso has himself made a few errors because some people seem to think that he is infallible.

McLaren's unreliability cost Kimi the world title not JPM although the Columbian aided Alonso slightly at several Grand Prix to the obvious detriment of the iceman but Montoya was not at all a major factor.

I think Kimi has made more mistakes than Alonso but I was just reminding the forum that Alonso has himself made a few errors because some people seem to think that he is infallible.

I totally agree there...I find it ridiculous that JPM is (unsurprisingly) being blamed for kimi failing to get the WDC

Yes of course, I should have mentioned that. Obviously the reliability of the package was the major cause of McLaren's failings this season but with the equipment they had, they still could have won but did not. The reason they did not, I think you will agree, was largely down to Montoya. Yes?