Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed up

Sato Offered Drive With New F1 Team

By Alastair Himmer, Reuters Tuesday, 04 October 2005 06:48

BAR's Japanese driver Takuma Sato said on Tuesday he had been offered a drive by an as-yet unnamed group hoping to establish Formula One's 11th team next year.

Sato, who has lost his BAR seat for next season, gave no details of the new team but said he had been approached to drive for them in 2006.

"It's not confirmed that this new team will race but I have received an offer," the 28-year-old said ahead of this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka.

"I'm not planning to quit Formula One. I have to keep going and look for a solution."

BAR's engine partners Honda, meanwhile, said they were considering supplying engines to the new team.

"Nothing has been decided yet as far as drivers or engines go," Honda's operating officer Hiroshi Oshima told reporters.

"But (Formula One supremo) Bernie Ecclestone has given the team his blessing and we are looking into the possibility of supplying their engines."

Sato's Formula One future had been thrown into doubt after BAR announced he would be replaced by Brazilian Rubens Barrichello for 2006.

But Sato, who has finished in the points just once all season, said he had other options on the table for next year.

"I have more than one option available," he said. "My manager Andrew (Gilbert-Scott) has been with me since I was in Formula Three and we will look at all the options."

Toyota-powered Jordan have also expressed interest in Sato for next year.

The question is who is it? I vote for Team Irvine, the Russian backed group that was looking to buy Midland/Minardi, they are the only group we are aware that were looking to enter F1. Team Dubai was meant to be entering, but that ended a long time ago and they had Mercedes backing, so wouldn't have gone for Honda engines. another option is that BAT have used the the money from the sale of BAR to start a B team, with 555 sponsorship for Sato and Davidson to drive. I think this is extremely unlikely. This only really leaves some form of Japanese team, but since Footwork sold Arrows there has not been any Japanese corporate interest in F1 other than the big car marques.

Incidentally, I think it would be possible to enter F1 at 6 months notice this year, if someone takes over the Dallara deal Midland were pursuing. They were planning and developing Midlands 2006 car, and it was only the early summer when Midland decided to develop the new car in house at the Jordan factory. Thus, the Dallara Guys should already have quite an advanced design and possibly some experimental models/chassis in 2006 spec, ready for someone to use.

Maybe this new team haven't been watching F1 this season?