Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjoseph

A Deal For Emirates In F1?

There were rumours in Suzuka that the Emirates Airline, which is owned by the ruling family of Dubai, is looking very seriously about a Formula 1 sponsorship deal. This may be related to stories of a second Mercedes-Benz team although we hear that the price tag is so high that it is hard for the Woking company to find any takers.

The team could be run from the old McLaren factory in Woking and the deal would include engines and chassis technology, in much the same way as the supposed second Honda team.

There has been talk of a Dubai team for some time but no sign of any real action but the Emirates rumours are stronger than most and so it will be interesting to see if there might be a 12th team in F1 in 2007. It is highly unlikely that anything will be achieved by next season but if Hond can do it, there is no real reason why McLaren could not given that the team has the facilities.

Such rumours are not new and have been around for at least a year but there is some potential for deals as Emirates likes to use to sport to promote its activities and is heavily involved in the Germany 2006 FIFA World Cup soccer next summer and will be title sponsor of Team New Zealand, which is challenging for the next America's Cup in yachting. This programme will be over by June 2007 and so logically Emirates would be looking for long-term alternatives.

Emirates are supposed to be a very nice airline and their planes are supposed to be very nice indeed!

But they're arabs and may attract terrorism

And we (westerners) don't?

Its highly ironic that both Emirates and Gulf Air are the worlds safest airlines yet they are middle-eastern, but they are very much run by british and american people, My parents both work in southampton airport and Andy (my stepdad) is an air traffic engineer and knows everything about airplanes, he can even fly small cessna's and stuff!

Quite the opposite, you don't bomb your own.

As far as the Dubai team. There was an article in Oct F1 (page 24) titled To 'B' or not to 'B'? and they spoke about Direxiv Investments becoming the owner of this team. (Cash rich Japanese Investment company)They already sponser the Durango team in GP2. The CES of Direxiv Motor Sports Division is slotted to run the team HER name is Misato Haga and she might just be the first team boss. :clap3:

I had mentioned this in another thread a week or so ago.

Bernie will wet his pants if this happens.... :naughty:

Its highly ironic that both Emirates and Gulf Air are the worlds safest airlines yet they are middle-eastern, but they are very much run by british and american people, My parents both work in southampton airport and Andy (my stepdad) is an air traffic engineer and knows everything about airplanes, he can even fly small cessna's and stuff!

My family were mostly farmers - I believe they used to throw stones at aeroplanes.............

Quite the opposite, you don't bomb your own.

Dunno about that.

And we (westerners) don't?
arabs have more cash :P

:rofl: you voted for bliar didn't you?

they run A1, you better stay away from there.

they sponsor chelsea, you better not go anywhere near london :naughty:

The ICC headquarters are moving to Dubai, you better avoid cricket too. B)

My family were mostly farmers - I believe they used to throw stones at aeroplanes.............

hit any? how'd they taste?

I am living in Dubai for the last 7 years and I feel Dubai is safer than my home country (India). There may be terrorism in Iraq, Saudi Arabia and some other Arab countries, but Dubai is one of the safest places in the World.

arabs have more cash :P

:rofl: you voted for bliar didn't you?

they run A1, you better stay away from there.

they sponsor chelsea, you better not go anywhere near london :naughty:

The ICC headquarters are moving to Dubai, you better avoid cricket too. B)

hit any? how'd they taste?

ICC haedquarters is already moved to Dubai. They are operating in a temporary office now as the office building is under construction.

Emirates is one of the main sponsors of World Cup football 2006 so, better not to watch it

They are constructing a stadium for Arsenal, so there is another chance to stay away from London. :naughty:

I am living in Dubai for the last 7 years and I feel Dubai is safer than my home country (India).

"

:clap3: which is quite safe , by any standards(most of it atleast)

I am living in Dubai for the last 7 years and I feel Dubai is safer than my home country (India). There may be terrorism in Iraq, Saudi Arabia and some other Arab countries, but Dubai is one of the safest places in the World.

My parents went there in june, they said it was quite damn amazing because the way its being built, there are different cities, like sport city and stuff! Its crazy! Apparently it is incredibly safe and clean too! They are even building in the sea too with the world, and they recently built the palm tree too! Dubai seems such an interesting place!

Yeah, but Dubai is run but Indians and Pakistani's, well, People born in the UAE and have Arabic Heritage also live there and are very rich and obviously the Emirite of Dubai itself run by it's royal family, but the people who do stuff are Indian and Pakistani. I hear it is not a very nice place to be when India and Pakistan are playing Cricket. It is the most violent sporting rivalry in the world!.

Also it is these 'westernised' Arabic Communities that are the cause of the Terrorism, all be it indirectly. The whole goal of Al-Queda is to turn the Middle East and also the whole world into a single Islamic Superstate along the lines of Suadi Arabia. They also want to remove all Western Influence from Saudi Arabia and the Middle East. By holding Grand Prix, building Race Tracks and owning F1 Teams, these states are allowing Western Influence into their nations and I doubt it is pleasing the Head honcho's of Al-Queda, even if it is ensuring the future proserity of the these largely desert lands once the oil money runs out. This means the the likes of Emirites and Gulf Air may eventually become targets for terrorism. However at the moment there are bigger fish to fry (Western Airlines) so the Middle Eastern Airlines are avoiding the terrorism (some may argue that shares in these airlines may help fund some terrorism, but I have never seen this backed up with concrete evidence) Perhaps the Middle Eastern Airlines are so safe is simply because of the amount of money they have available to them, ensuring all the safety checks can be completed satisfactually and that the best staff can be hired. This cannot be easy if you are suffering from Chapter 11 bankrauptcy or worrying about strikes at your in flight caterers!

Yeah, but Dubai is run but Indians and Pakistani's, well, People born in the UAE and have Arabic Heritage also live there and are very rich and obviously the Emirite of Dubai itself run by it's royal family, but the people who do stuff are Indian and Pakistani. I hear it is not a very nice place to be when India and Pakistan are playing Cricket. It is the most violent sporting rivalry in the world!.

Thata right. Most of the Dubai residents are from South Asia. But the Indians and Pakistanis are living in a very friendly atmosphere here. I never heard about any such problem between them.

All this talk about new teams is good I feel. I hope they a. materialise and b. are competitive, as Jordan and Sauber were when they entered F1.

All this talk about new teams is good I feel. I hope they a. materialise and b. are competitive, as Jordan and Sauber were when they entered F1.

I agree, more teams, more cars, more fun to watch, but only if they are competitive and the drivers can drive.

I am looking forward to not seeing empty spaces at the rear of the field...