Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

The Greatest Opening Lap In Formula One History

I think this is a great topic. Donington 1993 is a momentous part of F1 history and with a well-written article and accompanying video of the opening lap, this topic serves to educate the youngsters who are evidently unaware of Senna

Can I get an opinion from Senna on this opening lap: Sepang 2001, Jos Verstappen in the Arrows A22 goes from 18th on the grid to 6th by the end of lap 1.

ok, this is going to hurt but...

Senna himself said that sometimes went too far outside the limits. like in monaco where he out qualified the field by 2 seconds almost. watching the video i have to say that had he sliped by a millimeter this thread might just be called "Senna's greatest mistake" or even "Senna's last drive". now you might say that it was skill but i think he was probuably Sh#ting his pants and hopeing he could hold on. i think he was on that thousand meter cliff of you driving the car or the car driving you with only a toe or two on the ground doing the flailing arms trying not to fall off.

a great example of this is right as the vid ends he has a pretty big wobel, just a bit more and would have spun. or on the outside around vendling, very close to the grass.

OUCHY, dont hurt me too much *whistle, whistle*

ok, this is going to hurt but...

Senna himself said that sometimes went too far outside the limits. like in monaco where he out qualified the field by 2 seconds almost. watching the video i have to say that had he sliped by a millimeter this thread might just be called "Senna's greatest mistake" or even "Senna's last drive". now you might say that it was skill but i think he was probuably Sh#ting his pants and hopeing he could hold on. I think he was on that thousand meter cliff of you driving the car or the car driving you with only a toe or two on the ground doing the flailing arms trying not to fall off.

a great example of this is right as the vid ends he has a pretty big wobel, just a bit more and would have spun. or on the outside around vendling, very close to the grass.

OUCHY, dont hurt me too much *whistle, whistle*

Senna displayed other worldly car control throughout his career. This was particularly evident in the wet. His opening lap at Donington 1993 was utterly mesmerising, he embarrassed all his rivals that day. In a vastly inferior car he was utterly dominant, winning the race by 83.199 sec from second placed Damon Hill in his superlative FW15C.

The opening lap was equally sensational. He passed Michael Schumacher, Karl Wendlinger, Damon Hill and Alain Prost on lap 1 in treacherous wet conditions. Senna led the pack by 0.698 seconds as he crossed the start finish line having started the lap in 4th place! He did have a slight wobble as he was pushing very hard in terrible wet/dry conditions - conditions that made Michael Schumacher spin out of the Grand Prix as early as lap 22 - but he had it under control and his dominance throughout the race is conclusive proof of that.

I still can't get over seeing Rosset just plunge into the middle of the pack at such a speed. It was carnage!

spa_98_major_crash.JPG

I downloaded the video of this the other day. It trully was a big one

B) Not as big as some of the Indy 500 1st lap crashes of the '60's.

I like how Ralf just parked on the side (in the Jordan behind the McLaren of DC), waited for no-one to hit him, then engaged first gear when everything settled down. Very clever and mature.

B) John Watsons start at the Long Beach F1 race was a sight to see, If I remember right from last to first(for the race) but on the first lap he was a demon.

I'd love to see that one again.

Actually South Africa's very own Jodie Scheckter caused an even bigger accident at Silverstone in the 70's.

I like how Ralf just parked on the side (in the Jordan behind the McLaren of DC), waited for no-one to hit him, then engaged first gear when everything settled down. Very clever and mature.

I agree. Good recall, mate. :clap3:

I just saw the video, it was awesome! :clap3:

Senna was the daddy on rain/wet tracks

I can't think of any recent (post Senna) driver that is/was as dominant as he was on such terrible conditions

Can I get an opinion from Senna on this opening lap: Sepang 2001, Jos Verstappen in the Arrows A22 goes from 18th on the grid to 6th by the end of lap 1.

could you post the video?

? All I request is an opinion.

I was joking young man. This topic is about the great Brazilian and it shall remain on topic as long as there is air in my lungs and blood in my veins.