Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Mansell Leads Legends Home

MANSELL LEADS LEGENDS HOME

ITV

35339_1.jpg

Former Formula 1 world champion Nigel Mansell rolled back the years to win a thrilling inaugural Grand Prix Masters race at Kyalami in South Africa on Sunday.

The new concept, a self-styled "seniors tour" for retired Formula 1 racers, proved a smash hit with drivers and fans as the old-timers showed they still had what it takes to entertain.

Mansell started from pole but still finished less than half a second ahead of his old IndyCar rival Emerson Fittipaldi.

This despite the fact that the Brazilian legend was racing a competitive single-seater for the first time in ten years.

Neither driver appeared to be show-boating and Mansell claimed afterwards that he had raced as hard as ever to secure victory.

"What a race!" he said.

"Pole was the critical factor today given how hard I was pushed by Emerson.

"He just didn't give up and nor did I expect him to.

"I tried to break-away from him but he just kept his nose behind my car and on a couple of occasions made moves on the inside of corners!

"I simply could not have driven any harder out there today!"

The 58-year-old Fittipaldi, F1 world champion in 1972 and '74, looked as hungry as ever and tried everything who could to pass Mansell in the closing stages of the 30-lap race.

"I remember a few years ago when Nigel came over to Indy Cars and the late great [Ayrton] Senna told me to watch out for Nigel's car control," recalled Fittipaldi afterwards.

"Today I witnessed that first hand again and at times, I really thought he had crossed the limit but time and time again he managed to keep the car on the track - and get faster!

"He will make a mistake, I kept thinking and I tried to pass him on several occasions but there simply wasn't enough braking zone."

Former Brabham and Williams star Riccardo Patrese finished third, 20s back of the leading duo.

The Italian just managed to fend off countryman Andrea de Cesaris who came out top of a massive scrap with Britain's Derek Warwick.

Hans-Joachim Stuck was sixth.

Grand Prix Masters is planning to stage as many as six races in 2006, and a British round is in the works

Mansell started from pole but still finished less than half a second ahead of his old IndyCar rival Emerson Fittipaldi.

Didn't they race together in Formula One too? I've seen a few of their Indy Races.

"I remember a few years ago when Nigel came over to Indy Cars and the late great [Ayrton]Senna told me to watch out for Nigel's car control," recalled Fittipaldi afterwards.

a massive compliment from the departed Champion for Nige.