Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nichosnz

The FIA didn't get their way!!

The grids will be pretty normal unless weather plays a factor. Or a bad mistake by a driver, but I dont think it will happen every race.

Thankfully the other system wasnt put in use, a little too radical if you ask me...

It is very radical isn't it? I remember a few years ago the idea was muted of reversing the grid for a couple of races each year. So glad that didn't happen.

IMO I also don't think a driver will be out of place at every GP, but I suspect it may be a little more often than you think. Think of how often ALL drivers get a decent lap on the first attempts, never, and how often to ALL TOP drivers get a decent lap on the first attempts, not often.

It is true that the possibility of it happening is now much greater, but all Im saying is I dont think we will see things like Trulli on pole or such all the time because of it.

Oh no an unusal pole sitter will be as common as the recent past, 0 or 1 time a year, or at the most twice. But I reakon at least ONE top driver will suffer at most of the GP's, and it will not always be the same driver.

And those points are going to come in extremely handy for Schwarz and Hyundai! Hyundai is being a real arse about not giving enough money to the WRC team and they are struggling badly, yet they still manage 8th place!

Talking about the points changes, two records were broken last year that didn't get as much mention as those of Ferrari, or of Montys Lap and his poles without winning. The first of which I have not heard/read mentioned anywhere and the second only mentioned once. The first one, I am glad happened before the new points scale was introduced, otherwise tainting the acheivement.

1. for the first year in the history of F1, every competing team scored points. If fact 'all teams but 1' has only happened 3 times, 1973 (Ensign), 1999 (BAR) and 2001 (Minardi).

2. Mark Webber outqualified his team-mate at every event in the season, the first time ever a rookie has managed this.

That is an interesting one.. :D Surprising and eye-opening at the same time, odd to think that F1 really is so hard for the smaller teams.. hopefully 2002 form will continue, which it likely will with the new points system!

Webber's achievement is actually not much, he was up against Alex "Sunday Drive" Yoong!

Webber was a rookie and almost all rookies screw up at least a couple of qualifing sessions, especially driving at that end of the grid.

Heheh :D I duly do accept your argument, but still say that had Webber had Verstappen or an equivalent to go up against, then he would have had a tougher time.

Another new rule, that should make things very interesting, and the tactic drivers employ may well change from circuit to circuit.

The Drivers now have to start the race on the fuel load that they finished qualifing on.

So each driver will have a range of options open to them with the extremes being. Full Load = Slow qualifilying, slow start to the race, but long first stint. and Low Load = Fast qualifing, fast start to the race, but have to stop almost as soon as the race starts, putting you at the back of the grid.

As I said before different circuits are going to alter the below generalisation. I think that at clear one stop races most drivers will qualify on large loads. There is more likely to to be a range of strategies on 1/2 stop races and 2+ stop races.

This is an interesting one. I don't know if I like it because it slows qualifying, but I like it because it adds another element to strategy :D So I'm sorta mixed on my opinions...

But this is one I'd like to hear responses for, what does everyone think? :huh:

Yeah lots after 1997 but more after 2002. DC is saying throw out the history books now. I say get a grip DC, could have been worse, success ballast, driver swapping etc.