Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Button Out To Prove Critics Wrong

BUTTON OUT TO PROVE CRITICS WRONG

ITV

35098_1.jpg

British Honda ace Jenson Button has hit out critics who have knocked his 100-race winless streak and accused him of being a playboy.

Button who begins his winter testing schedule at Barcelona on Wednesday, defended his Formula 1 record in an interview with the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

"Every single team-mate of mine during my five years in F1 has also failed to win a race driving the same car as me," he said.

"We're talking about Ralf Schumacher, Jacques Villeneuve, Jarno Trulli, Giancarlo Fisichella and Takuma Sato. They're not bad drivers are they? And most went on to win races with other teams.

"So now maybe you can see that the package has not been quite been up there for me in my five years. Sure, I've made mistakes, too, but you need a car that's capable of winning."

Button also spoke out against people who have been quick to highlight his party-going high-jinks. He suggested that he needed to maintain a sense of normality in order to perform at his best.

"People think I'm always out and being a playboy," he told the newspaper.

"But I'll tell you what: if I did nothing but eat, sleep and breathe motor racing, it would be detrimental to my performance. Like anyone else, I need to let my hair down. But it's nowhere near as much as people make out."

Jenson intends to get people talking about his on-track talents in 2006, and with Honda's recent acquisition of BAR, he reckons that all the elements are in place for a strong season.

"People may think I've made an expensive mistake, but it will be worth it if I become world champion," he said.

"Now that Honda is in charge, I believe we are going to have a serious package this year.

"I'm confident we will be major contenders."

"Every single team-mate of mine during my five years in F1 has also failed to win a race driving the same car as me," he said.

"We're talking about Ralf Schumacher, Jacques Villeneuve, Jarno Trulli, Giancarlo Fisichella and Takuma Sato. They're not bad drivers are they? And most went on to win races with other teams.

"So now maybe you can see that the package has not been quite been up there for me in my five years. Sure, I've made mistakes, too, but you need a car that's capable of winning."

Indeed. Although he should omit Sato from his list...

He'll prove them wrong again. He did so in 2003 with Villeneuve and also in 2002 with Trulli.

Jenson has not proved his critics wrong because he has not won a race!

I think he just proved he had better reliability against those two... Certainly if you look at qualifying, he barely beat Villeneuve on the season and Trulli demolished him. In the races he benefitted massively from reliability and that is the true reason for his beating Villeneuve by a wide margin and Trulli at all. In other words, if you adjust for reliability, Trulli would actually have beaten Button and Villeneuve would have just barely lost out.

Jenson has not proved his critics wrong because he has not won a race!

I think he just proved he had better reliability against those two... Certainly if you look at qualifying, he barely beat Villeneuve on the season and Trulli demolished him. In the races he benefitted massively from reliability and that is the true reason for his beating Villeneuve by a wide margin and Trulli at all. In other words, if you adjust for reliability, Trulli would actually have beaten Button and Villeneuve would have just barely lost out.

I disagree. Regardless, Jenson has made considerable progress since 2002 and the 25 year old is approaching his peak, ergo he would beat Jarno now if they were team-mates by a greater margin than he did in 2002. Jarno is of course 31 and thus he is getting worse, not better (at least in physical terms). And if someone would care to wheel out grandpa Villeneuve, Jenson would beat him by an even greater margin.

I disagree. Regardless, Jenson has made considerable progress since 2002 and the 25 year old is approaching his peak, ergo he would beat Jarno now if they were team-mates by a greater margin than he did in 2002. Jarno is of course 31 and thus he is getting worse, not better (at least in physical terms). And if someone would care to wheel out grandpa Villeneuve, Jenson would beat him by an even greater margin.

I don't think many would agree with your comments on Trulli... He has had somewhat of a renaissance of late, running Alonso close until about mid-way through the 2004 season and then putting Ralf to shame the following year. Many would rate Trulli alongside or higher than Button at the moment and unless Button puts Barrichello down in convincing fashion next year, I will be amongst them.

I don't think many would agree with your comments on Trulli... He has had somewhat of a renaissance of late, running Alonso close until about mid-way through the 2004 season and then putting Ralf to shame the following year. Many would rate Trulli alongside or higher than Button at the moment and unless Button puts Barrichello down in convincing fashion next year, I will be amongst them.

Jarno did push Alonso hard in 2004 but then completely cracked midway through the season. He was convinced he was getting inferior machinery and started driving atrociously. He was sacked! This cannot be ignored. Furthermore, although Jarno looked to be the best Toyota driver in 2005, Ralf Schumacher scored more points! He [Jarno] is 31 and remains a poor racer, but strong qualifier

I too look forward to the battle between Jenson and Rubens. Rubens outqualified M$ seven times this year in unequal circumstances.

:lol:

Yes, as I recall MS had a few incidents aside from being caught out by bad weather on one or two occasions... Anyway MS is a shadow of his former self and we know that Rubens had a fraction, a small fraction, of the talent MS did last year. So we'll be expecting Jenson to beat Rubens convincingly if we are to take seriously the contentions from the many British F1 followers that he is a top 4 driver.

Yes, as I recall MS had a few incidents aside from being caught out by bad weather on one or two occasions... Anyway MS is a shadow of his former self and we know that Rubens had a fraction, a small fraction, of the talent MS did last year.

Granted but I think it

I would expect Jenson to retain his position as the 4th best driver in F1 and for him to beat Rubens by a clear margin.

I wouldn't put your life savings on it....................

bajo39, you said yesterday its ok to call someone an idiot for voicing their opininon. Therefore, I am now calling you an idiot. Your comments on Button/Trulli and Button/JV are a complete crap. You either a) didnt watch those seasons B) just don't like button so attack him for the sake of it or c) you just talk bollocks in most of your posts. Based on your comments today and yesterday, I opt for c as my theory. You're going to look a fool next year when button is the top Honda driver next year. And as Jenson states in this topic, you cant really criticise him for not winning a race when none of his team-mates have won a race in the same car either

i dont know why that smiley is in there its not supposed to be!!

Senna, Ferrari is set up around MS just as Maclaren is set up around Kimi and Renault around FA. If you want to win, you need to go with the stronger driver of the pair you have. Allain Prost quit in a huff to join Ferrari because he "thought" that Senna was getting the better package all the time. But in reallity Senna was much better than Prost. Rubens might "think" MS got a better car during his stay at Ferrari, reality tells us MS is a much better driver than RB.

If it were any other driver doing the things MS did with that useless ferreri this season we would have crowned them a hero! But for MS it's just another day in the office. To finish ahead of the 2nd Renault & 2nd Maclaren when the two could easily run rings is just astounding.

It's all very well to play around with Trulli, Ralf, JV - but what JB really needs to do is to take it to MS, FA & KR on every opportunity he gets - beating anyone else below this is expected of him! In 2006 if he does anything less than this (no matter what the excuse) he will have failed miserably and the years are ticking away! He will not be 25 forever (and there is a WDC younger than him anyway!).

yes but he cant be expected to do it in a lesser car. In 2005 there were times when he got himself at the front in a car that didnt deserve to be there

yes but he cant be expected to do it in a lesser car. In 2005 there were times when he got himself at the front in a car that didnt deserve to be there

Yes but that isnt that impressive. I know quite quite afew other drivers this season who finished higher than the car deserved.

I think it is impressive! I expect you're referring to DC, and when he finished high it was impressive too. Jenson can only be expected to consistently challenge the top guys when he has a car thats able to do it. The 05 BAR was rarely capable of doing it

I think it is impressive! I expect you're referring to DC, and when he finished high it was impressive too. Jenson can only be expected to consistently challenge the top guys when he has a car thats able to do it. The 05 BAR was rarely capable of doing it

I was talking about DC but i try not to bring up DC at every availiable opportunity as it gets repetitive. Its hard to rate how well Button did this year because we dont know how fast the BAR007 was because we didnt have anyone to compare him with. He might have had a great season (if the car was a real dog) but then again the car might have been a race winner and Jenson just didnt drive it well, unfortuantly well never know.

You're going to look a fool next year when button is the top Honda driver next year.

I expect Jenson to marginally beat Rubens, I've said this many many times.

And as Jenson states in this topic, you cant really criticise him for not winning a race when none of his team-mates have won a race in the same car either

I have never suggested that he had a car capable of winning a race... The fact that he hasn't put himself in one is somewhat troubling though.

The fact that he hasn't put himself in one is somewhat troubling though.

The term "The cream always rises to the top" comes to mind. Think how quickly Alonso went from a Minardi to a Renault. On another note did Jenson leave Renault or did Renault boot him out because if he chose to leave then that is possibly the worst mistake he has ever made.

:D Flav gave him the boot so as to give the seat to Fernando when Jenson was better than Truli who he retained.......................

Its not really jensons fault that he hasnt been in a race-winning car. williams had an agreement with jpm so button had to leave before 01 when williams started winning. Flav booted him out of renault cos he was trulli's manager, then the next season renault got poles and a win. Since then he's been at BAR which hasnt produced a race-winner yet. In 04 it was arguably the 2nd best car but jenson, who was best of rest behind ferrerar's nearly every race, unfortunately due to retirements (and stuck behind trulli at monaco) he wasnt at the front when ferrari faltered. And in 05, considering sato scored 1 point (scored 35 in 04) and both drivers complaining about the car most races, I think its fair to say it was NOT a race-winner!

:D Flav gave him the boot so as to give the seat to Fernando when Jenson was better than Truli who he retained.......................

Maybe Flav did the sort of analysis I would reccomend: adjusting for reliability and then comparing performance. On that basis, Trulli beat Jenson as I have shown in this forum already and of course Flav probably also considered the f act that Trulli dominated Jenson in qualifying, a clear measure of pace.

If you rate driver's ability by quali results it shows how little you know about f1. And I'd be interested to know what your theory is about Button not beating Trulli. I look forward to not standing corrected at all but please humour me. The whole f1 world was surprised when flav booted jense not trulli. It makes sense tho cos flav was trulli's manager