Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YHR

Bias Reporting Becoming Frustrating

Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais has strengthened speculation that BMW only confirmed Jacques Villeneuve's 2006 F1 race seat because it had no choice.

The Frenchman, 26, told AFP that he had been 'optimistic' about landing the Hinwil drive alongside Nick Heidfeld.

'Unfortunately,' Bourdais said after Jacques' confirmation on Thursday, 'Villeneuve's contract was more difficult to break than expected.'

As a result, the double title winner in the US re-signed with Newman-Haas for 2006, with a 'get-out' clause for 2007 in the event that 'something opens up' in F1 pitlane.

Bourdais says he talked 'a lot' with BMW boss Mario Theissen.

He added: 'The first time ... at the end of September, I really felt some interest on his side.

'But when we met it was clear that they could not break Jacques' contract.'

Sebastien Bourdais apparently offered to be 'Friday' driver in 2006 if BMW could guarantee him a race ride the year after, but - Bourdais said - 'this ... was impossible'.

He says 2007 will be his last shot at F1's racing grid.

'It is not time to start in F1 at 30,' the Champ Car title winner explained. 'But F1 is not an obsession.

Above is from an internet story. Bourdais met with BMW in September, and it appears as if BMW knew at that time JV was going to be driving for them without doubt.

Isn't it strange that if BMW wanted Bourdais ahead of JV they didn't guarantee a seat for him in 2007???. The whole tone of this article has been spun to reflect a bad light on the relationship between BMW and JV. The truth is, none exists. They have intended to honor the JV contract, and because they were unwilling to give the seat away in 2007, this also means that they are taking a wait see attitude towards JV.

If JV's poor start was the true indication of how hard it is to come back after sitting out, and that by the end of the year JV has in fact regained his past form, BMW might very well be wise to see how JV performs in 2006. No excuses. His is returning to a team he is familiar with , he has raced a full season. His teammate is a young acknowledged quick driver. He either still has it or he doesn't. If he performs well in 2006 and the team does well, I predict JV may very well be on board for 2007. BMW has left that option open.

Indeed, where? I don't remember it being made clear that JV was BMW's first choice :blink:

:D The bias of rose colored glasses.................

Yeah, if you want to read bias articles read the spanish or british media (not all the media of course)

I think BMW would have prefered Bourdais over JV and it would have been interesting but i have to say i

Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais has strengthened speculation that BMW only confirmed Jacques Villeneuve's 2006 F1 race seat because it had no choice.

Bias. The authors opinion and not based on any fact.

Bais. The authors opinion and not based on any fact.

True.

Notice the word speculation in that sentence, YHR.

That is exactly my point. The speculation is always bias to JV being a sack of garbage. My own observations are based on reading the same facts. Why is it, that supposedly unbiased journalists never present my rose colored glasses version of the facts, and only present the negatives of JV.

Hell I'm not even looking for a rose colored glasses version, I wish they would just present the facts and leave the speculation to us to debate. Instead they speculate and tell the reader what the facts mean. That is the definition of being bias.

The Frenchman, 26, told AFP that he had been 'optimistic' about landing the Hinwil drive alongside Nick Heidfeld.

'Unfortunately,' Bourdais said after Jacques' confirmation on Thursday, 'Villeneuve's contract was more difficult to break than expected.'

He added: 'The first time ... at the end of September, I really felt some interest on his side.

'But when we met it was clear that they could not break Jacques' contract.'

First off I look forward to many more JV-related discussions YHR. On your article you're right that its speculation, or at best reporting of some other people's speculating, but nevertheless I think Bourdais' statement above does suggest BMW looked into whether they could sign someone else and he implies that the decisive factor was JV's contract.

First off I look forward to many more JV-related discussions YHR. On your article you're right that its speculation, or at best reporting of some other people's speculating, but nevertheless I think Bourdais' statement above does suggest BMW looked into whether they could sign someone else and he implies that the decisive factor was JV's contract.

Without a doubt.

JV'S contract and buyout clause

If the buyout clause existed (many think it didn’t) it was necessarily part of the contract. If there was no buyout clause it necessarily could not have been part of the contract. Either way, the contract is all-important.
$10 million is more important

Maybe, but if that was true why wouldn't they commit for 2007?????? Would it really make any sense to skid JV and hire Bourdais, only to skid him in 2007. That to me is just plain silly. If Bourdais was anything more then a test driver in the minds of BMW they would have signed him and offered him JV's seat in 2007.

Bourdais was a potential test driver, and nothing more to BMW.

:D As much as I like Bourdais I have that gut feeling that he wouldn't shine in F1

I got the Nov 24 copy of Autosport (the one with JV on the cover) and found some interesting facts. Apparently BMW were close to organising a shootout between Bourdais, Heikki and Davidson to see if any would be an ideal replacement for JV.

Look, the reason BMW didn't drop JV is because of his iron cast contract (well done to Pollock for this, the second contract a team is rumoured to have wanted to break with JV but simply couldn't!). Rumours of a buy-out clause are just that, only JV and whoever has read the contract knows its intricacies, however JV did say that the contract was rather small for F1 contracts without ways to screw each other over, this leads me to believe no buy out clause existed, but that's just my take on it.

I also read that had BMW terminated JV's contract, they would have had to pay his 3.5 mill salary - not a big deal really - , but would then most likely had to compensate JV as it would have certainly marked the end of his career and he could claim for loss of earnings (bonus money for points is my guess).

Having said all that, I think BMW will now work closely with both Nick and Jacques in the off season, then closely scrutinise JV. I feel that the reason they didn't offer a concrete race seat in 2007 for Seb, or any other driver they spoke to for that matter, is because BMW now believe that since they now have JV and must work with him, they'll give him a chance to prove he is worthy of that seat in 2007. If he impresses, it should be his and BMW will offer a new contract, my guess is 1 year, if he disappoints, it's bye bye JV and hello [insert driver name here].

That is how I see things.

I got the Nov 24 copy of Autosport (the one with JV on the cover) and found some interesting facts. Apparently BMW were close to organising a shootout between Bourdais, Heikki and Davidson to see if any would be an ideal replacement for JV.

Look, the reason BMW didn't drop JV is because of his iron cast contract (well done to Pollock for this, the second contract a team is rumoured to have wanted to break with JV but simply couldn't!). Rumours of a buy-out clause are just that, only JV and whoever has read the contract knows its intricacies, however JV did say that the contract was rather small for F1 contracts without ways to screw each other over, this leads me to believe no buy out clause existed, but that's just my take on it.

I also read that had BMW terminated JV's contract, they would have had to pay his 3.5 mill salary - not a big deal really - , but would then most likely had to compensate JV as it would have certainly marked the end of his career and he could claim for loss of earnings (bonus money for points is my guess).

Having said all that, I think BMW will now work closely with both Nick and Jacques in the off season, then closely scrutinise JV. I feel that the reason they didn't offer a concrete race seat in 2007 for Seb, or any other driver they spoke to for that matter, is because BMW now believe that since they now have JV and must work with him, they'll give him a chance to prove he is worthy of that seat in 2007. If he impresses, it should be his and BMW will offer a new contract, my guess is 1 year, if he disappoints, it's bye bye JV and hello [insert driver name here].

That statement is a little harsh. I think the team has more faith in JV then you do!!!! I don't think the decision was based purely on JVs contract. It no doubt was a key piece in the decision process, but a lot more thought went in to the decision then just that.

That is exactly what I have been saying. The drivers BMW were talking too were nothing more then test drivers this year. BMW have known all along that JV would be in that seat. The fact that they never offered any of these guys a guarantee for a seat in 2007, means they are not done working with JV yet. This in itself rules out the, "gotta get rid of JV" spin so many reporters have being claiming exists in the BMW camp.

All of these reports have been nothing but bias unfounded figments of people's imagination, that grew in validity with the lack of confirmation from BMW. Truth is JV contract was rock solid and no confirmation was really needed. BMW sure got a lot of exposure out of it though.

If JV performs next year and beats his teammate, he is not done with the BMW works team.

This is a post full of sense... :clap3:

That statement is a little harsh. I think the team has more faith in JV then you do!!!! I don't think the decision was based purely on JVs contract. It no doubt was a key piece in the decision process, but a lot more thought went in to the decision then just that.

That is exactly what I have been saying. The drivers BMW were talking too were nothing more then test drivers this year. BMW have known all along that JV would be in that seat. The fact that they never offered any of these guys a guarantee for a seat in 2007, means they are not done working with JV yet. This in itself rules out the, "gotta get rid of JV" spin so many reporters have being claiming exists in the BMW camp.

All of these reports have been nothing but bias unfounded figments of people's imagination, that grew in validity with the lack of confirmation from BMW. Truth is JV contract was rock solid and no confirmation was really needed. BMW sure got a lot of exposure out of it though.

If JV performs next year and beats his teammate, he is not done with the BMW works team.

First of all, let me start by saying I read this forum everyday, but never have been a member! As I feel strongly about this topic, I finally decided to register and throw my 2 cents into the ring.

As a Canadian, I must say that the reporting here is vastly different then what comes out of the UK. Sorry, let me re-phrase that.... The reporting around the world appears vastly different than what comes out of the UK.

The article, as I read it, clearly indicates that back in September BMW was looking for "only" a test driver and not someone to replace Jacques. Lets be honest with ourselves..... if BMW truly wanted to get rid of JV could they not have afforded to do so? It appears to me that they had decided back then that JVs performances were good enough to honor his contract. If they did not feel he was good enough, do we not think they would have spent the money to get rid of him? Whether it was 10 or 20 million, it is truly a drop in the bucket for BMW. I think reporters, and even some fans want to find a bigger story in this than what there really is.

It is my personal belief that the only thing BMW had to offer was a test seat.... It also makes sense that BMW do not have to rush into signing a driver for 2007. They are in the best position to wait and see who is available then, and whether or not one of their current drivers will earn an opportunity to remain.

Over the course of the past year with JV back in F1, I truly feel that I have read some very disgusting reporting, especially from British reporters. I have also read numerous sites over the past year that have lead threads on the reporting from the UK, and how disgusted everyone is becoming by it. It amazes me that they do not read these sites, and listen to what is being said about them.... maybe they do not care, or maybe they care more about their sales numbers.

Thank you for allowing to jump in to this great forum and I look forward to many more posts....

Proudly Canadian

Quite.

Hm. I wouldnt say the british media were biased. I'm English and they are a bunch of flat out liars.