Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YHR

Bias Reporting Becoming Frustrating

First of all, let me start by saying I read this forum everyday, but never have been a member! As I feel strongly about this topic, I finally decided to register and throw my 2 cents into the ring.

As a Canadian, I must say that the reporting here is vastly different then what comes out of the UK. Sorry, let me re-phrase that.... The reporting around the world appears vastly different than what comes out of the UK.

The article, as I read it, clearly indicates that back in September BMW was looking for "only" a test driver and not someone to replace Jacques. Lets be honest with ourselves..... if BMW truly wanted to get rid of JV could they not have afforded to do so? It appears to me that they had decided back then that JVs performances were good enough to honor his contract. If they did not feel he was good enough, do we not think they would have spent the money to get rid of him? Whether it was 10 or 20 million, it is truly a drop in the bucket for BMW. I think reporters, and even some fans want to find a bigger story in this than what there really is.

It is my personal belief that the only thing BMW had to offer was a test seat.... It also makes sense that BMW do not have to rush into signing a driver for 2007. They are in the best position to wait and see who is available then, and whether or not one of their current drivers will earn an opportunity to remain.

Over the course of the past year with JV back in F1, I truly feel that I have read some very disgusting reporting, especially from British reporters. I have also read numerous sites over the past year that have lead threads on the reporting from the UK, and how disgusted everyone is becoming by it. It amazes me that they do not read these sites, and listen to what is being said about them.... maybe they do not care, or maybe they care more about their sales numbers.

Thank you for allowing to jump in to this great forum and I look forward to many more posts....

Proudly Canadian

Great to have you contributing to the forum. What you posted are my thoughts exactly!!!! I don't want to single out the British media, (but have on many occasions) but they tend to always present the same angle with respect to JV. The recent Jense article about JV was quite refreshing. I wish we could have more reporting like this to offset the other predictable garbage that gets presented.

http://www.totalf1.com/weekly-wrap/?columnid=135

First of all, let me start by saying I read this forum everyday, but never have been a member! As I feel strongly about this topic, I finally decided to register and throw my 2 cents into the ring.

As a Canadian, I must say that the reporting here is vastly different then what comes out of the UK. Sorry, let me re-phrase that.... The reporting around the world appears vastly different than what comes out of the UK.

The article, as I read it, clearly indicates that back in September BMW was looking for "only" a test driver and not someone to replace Jacques. Lets be honest with ourselves..... if BMW truly wanted to get rid of JV could they not have afforded to do so? It appears to me that they had decided back then that JVs performances were good enough to honor his contract. If they did not feel he was good enough, do we not think they would have spent the money to get rid of him? Whether it was 10 or 20 million, it is truly a drop in the bucket for BMW. I think reporters, and even some fans want to find a bigger story in this than what there really is.

It is my personal belief that the only thing BMW had to offer was a test seat.... It also makes sense that BMW do not have to rush into signing a driver for 2007. They are in the best position to wait and see who is available then, and whether or not one of their current drivers will earn an opportunity to remain.

Over the course of the past year with JV back in F1, I truly feel that I have read some very disgusting reporting, especially from British reporters. I have also read numerous sites over the past year that have lead threads on the reporting from the UK, and how disgusted everyone is becoming by it. It amazes me that they do not read these sites, and listen to what is being said about them.... maybe they do not care, or maybe they care more about their sales numbers.

Thank you for allowing to jump in to this great forum and I look forward to many more posts....

Proudly Canadian

Welcome to forum!

I wouldnt say the british media were biased. I'm English and they are a bunch of flat out liars.

That's fine as long as you appreciate that you're being misled all the time. The problem is that some of the younger, more gullible followers, actually believe the promotional crap they hear from the British press, eg Jenson is a great driver, etc.

Welcome to forum!

That's fine as long as you appreciate that you're being misled all the time. The problem is that some of the younger, more gullible followers, actually believe the promotional crap they hear from the British press, eg Jenson is a great driver, etc.

Indeed, indeed

You want crap F1 coverage come to the U.S. wire service drivel :thbdn:

Welcome to forum!

:eusa_think:

I can

Welcome to the forum, feel free to speak your mind...

I

Maybe, but if that was true why wouldn't they commit for 2007?????? Would it really make any sense to skid JV and hire Bourdais, only to skid him in 2007. That to me is just plain silly. If Bourdais was anything more then a test driver in the minds of BMW they would have signed him and offered him JV's seat in 2007.

Bourdais was a potential test driver, and nothing more to BMW.

There are many reasons why they might have been reluctant to sign Bourdais. You have naturally chosen the one that fits your point of view but perhaps they just saw no need to commit at this stage? What I don't understand is why you think they didn't confirm JV until recently? In any case the article is supported by Bourdais' comments so I don't think its a good example of media bias.

:welcome: Proudly Canadian

Indeed another Canuck :clap3:

Personally I think the media everywhere is biased. We've heard on these pages how bad the US, Spanish and Aussie versions are so I'm yet to be convinced that the quality british press is any worse than anywhere else.

Indeed another Canuck :clap3:

Yes glad to have you onboard!

Personally I think the media everywhere is biased. We've heard on these pages how bad the US, Spanish and Aussie versions are so I'm yet to be convinced that the quality british press is any worse than anywhere else.

Words of wisdom

Words of wisdom

The problem with the British press is that they think they are supiour...........but I do like the Page 3 girls :naughty:

I buy The Times.

I buy The Times.

Intelectual that you are.................

I agree with you completely but suspect you may have missed my point. I make no comparative statement on the degree of bias of the various national media you mention; rather, I suggest to you that the British press has convinced the more gullible Britons, including several posters on this site, that Button, being their poster boy of the moment because of his boy-bandish good looks, is a great driver. One poster has been convinced that Button is even a diety of some sort :unsure:

I agree with you completely but suspect you may have missed my point. I make no comparative statement on the degree of bias of the various national media you mention; rather, I suggest to you that the British press has convinced the more gullible Britons, including several posters on this site, that Button, being their poster boy of the moment because of his boy-bandish good looks, is a great driver. One poster has been convinced that Button is even a diety of some sort :unsure:

Gil de Ferran is here! We

There are many reasons why they might have been reluctant to sign Bourdais. You have naturally chosen the one that fits your point of view but perhaps they just saw no need to commit at this stage? What I don't understand is why you think they didn't confirm JV until recently? In any case the article is supported by Bourdais' comments so I don't think its a good example of media bias.

They simply didn't need to. He is under contract, and his status needed no real confirmation. IT is becoming quite clear that BMW have known for a long time the JV was going to have the seat. I'll throw it back at you. With the fact that BMW made it clear to the drivers they were talking to, that no seat in 2006 would be available and that they wouldn't commit to a seat for 2007, why didn't BMW just come right out and say publically that indeed JV was their driver for 2006. Let me suggest that Sauber /BMW liked all the attention it was generating????? Other then that I am at a lost as to explain why they waited so long.

Why do you think they waited????

Let me suggest that Sauber /BMW liked all the attention it was generating????? Other then that I am at a lost as to explain why they waited so long.

Publicity is always a consideration, interesting theory.

Indeed but I think they simply didn

There is no such thing as bad publicity..........

I'd say it depends on who you are, for those that are meant to be in the spotlight it can never be bad.