Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nichosnz

18 car session, Friday morn

Sources have suggested that as may as 6 teams have signed up for the 10 days max in season private testing, and 2 hours-3 car session every GP Friday morning.

Not suprisingly at all -- Minardi, Jordan, Sauber :D

May suprise some (but shouldn't) -- BAR, Jaguar :)

A little suprisingly (but not completly) -- Renault :huh:

Completely unsuprisingly the teams that will forfeit this session in order to test all year -- Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Toyota. :rolleyes:

Minardi would have been hoping 2 other teams signed so that they could benefit from this option, they must be wrapped that 5 have.

I am actually one of the people surprised that BAR, Jaguar, and Renault have opted against testing. They have the money, and no matter what people say the more time teams have on the test track the more they can get done... :huh:

I hope it works out the right way though, allowing the grid to catch up to the top three. We should know by the 15th, I think...

Jaguar and BAR have been actively seeking ways to reduce their costs, so that is why I felt it wouldn't suprise everyone. Renault, I thought, could swing this way, but I didn't think that they would, my feeling was they would go the full testing route.

Well the obvious solution for BAR was to force Villeneuve into a paycut :D But I guess everyones reason will be to save money, not to take advantage of two hours of extra track time...

well I for one think all this stuff about QUALIFYING / practise time is a bit stupid.

As I have always understood qualifying , it was to give a team some time on the circuit to get the MOST out of a car and DRIVER..

So this NEW qualifying seems to suggest that neither the Mechanics OR the Drivers need time to explore the track / cars capabilities ?????

Thats B..............S Even with all the stored data etc etc they run NEW cars at the circuit to what they had last year and to some degree NEW drivers, 1 yr older drivers..

Bring back true practise time and then maybe as in the V8;s a top 10 - 15 shootout !!!

I think its odd that they changed qualifying at all, considering it was the one part of the race weekend that was exciting throughout the year!

I think it was done in an attempt to 'manufacture' some passing. After all Max, Bernie etc all said they expected at almost every race at least one top driver will stuff up (or be stuffed, by setup/mechanical problem), and have to start in a lower position. Not so good for Ralf, he is the least capable passer in one of the top 6 seats.

Well, if Ralf qualifies bad, his race is over. We all know his passing capabilities! :D But I think trying to manufacture racing through qualifying could have been engineered differently, I just have no idea how... thats the problem :lol:

But I think it will happen that at least one driver messes up at every race, so it will be interesting...

Ive got the answer !!!

Get all the drivers together on SUNDAY morning.. I.E. the teams turn up at the track Saturday morn to set up camp ..

Let Bernie get his ever so big HAT of his ever so big swollen HEAD, place the drivers names in the hat and DRAW grid positions.... THAT'L WORK for sure

And hell that should make for some interesting racing too

Think about it , think of all the money it would save as well.... this is tongue in cheek but as good as the present suggestions :ph34r:

That is a good idea Rod...lol

As you say, no worse that what we have been proposed.

Although the worst I think was points for top 8 in qualifing and reversing the top ten on the grid, glad that didn't happen.

I think nichosnz that that idea was actually a smart one, but one that would have changed F1 around too much. Which is why it is good that it didn't happen...

Michael Schumacher would have taken out the qualifing section of the championship in this year just gone. He was the most consistant qualifier, not only did he finish every race in the top 3, but the same was true of qualifing. Montoya, the so called 'qualifier of the year' (haha) when he was not on pole he only qualified in the top 3 on 1 other occasion.

7 poles 0 wins vs 7 poles 11 wins. The Williams team (and the other 8) certainly have some progress to make.

And Montoya has expressed concern about his chances with the new qualifing format, he feels he usually (pole or not) acheives his time through constant improvement during the session.

The session is definatly going ahead. But Sauber have stated that they are not involved, they are going for unlimited testing.

ahhh been a long time since i have checked the forum.....but anyway i have lost touch with the F1 world with no major activity going on....

Are all the seats settled in?????? Jens can you let me know of all the teams and the drivers of the '03 season.....just want to keep track...

Arrows were in; they paid their registration fee

Arrows were out; the FIA rejected their registration

Arrows were in again; they announced an appeal against the FIA

Arrows were out again; the backer withdrew due to the rejection

So the 10 teams for next year are...

Ferrari: 1. Micheal Schumacher, 2. Rubens Barrichello

Williams-BMW: 3. Juan Pablo Montoya, 4. Ralf Schumacher

McLaren- Mercedes: 5. David Coulthard, 6. Kimi Raikkonen

Renault: 7. Jarno Trulli, 8. Fernando Alonso

Sauber-Petronas: 9. Nick Heidfeld, 10. Heinz-Harald Frentzen

Jordan-Cosworth: 11. Giancarlo Fisichella, 12. T B A

Jaguar Cowsorth: 14. Mark Webber, 15. Antonia Pizzonio

BAR-Honda: 16. Jacques Villeneuve, 17. Jenson Button

Minardi-Cosworth: 18. Justin Wilson, 19. T B A

Toyota: 20. Olivier Panis, 21. Cristanio da Matta

At least 3 teams have signed up for the limited testing and Friday test session. Jordan and Minardi have. Sauber, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Toyota, and (almost certainly) BAR have not. So Renault, Jaguar or both have taken that option.

thanks nichosnz a lot...so except the minardi, and jordan...the rest all are all set sounds good!

The will he stay/will he get the boot... Sato saga was settled just a few days ago when Sato announced he was returing to the BAR test/reserve driver role.