Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumpdoc

Scott Speed

I have to admit it now... But he COULD have done it. :) He had what it takes. For example his perfomance in Monza was outstanding...

He qualified 1.2 seconds and 5 positions behind his team-mate Ayrton Senna, who had an awful race. Michael did well (for once) and got a podium (3rd) although he was lapped by race winner Damon Hill.

He qualified 1.2 seconds and 5 positions behind his team-mate Ayrton Senna, who had an awful race. Michael did well (for once) and got a podium (3rd) although he was lapped by race winner Damon Hill.

Indeed, Michael did not do his Andretti heritage proud in F1

Yes, and I should just point out for the benefit of the forum that we elders do not have such a low opinion of Michael simply because he was outpaced by Ayrton Senna. Indeed, that was bound to happen. He crashed frequently and made so many silly errors, on top of being slow

Yes, and I should just point out for the benefit of the forum that we elders do not have such a low opinion of Michael simply because he was outpaced by Ayrton Senna. Indeed, that was bound to happen. He crashed frequently and made so many silly errors, on top of being slow

Indeed a no win situation that he should've never ventured into...........

Choosing to become Ayrton Senna

Yeah, it was not a good decision to join Mclaren as Senna had been in that team forever and knew that team well and had the whole team working for him. Furthermore Andrettis lack of commitment to the team and to F1 did not improve his position in the team. And he was slower than Senna. But people often just shrug their shoulders and say "Michael Andretti? Oh, he was one Sh#tty driver." I dare to say that Andretti was perhaps the most talented driver to join F1 in 1993 but his ADHD like approach and bad luck towards F1 blew it for him...

Yeah, it was not a good decision to join Mclaren as Senna had been in that team forever and knew that team well and had the whole team working for him. Furthermore Andrettis lack of commitment to the team and to F1 did not improve his position in the team. And he was slower than Senna. But people often just shrug their shoulders and say "Michael Andretti? Oh, he was one Sh#tty driver." I dare to say that Andretti was perhaps the most talented driver to join F1 in 1993 but his ADHD like approach and bad luck towards F1 blew it for him...

Firstly as our own Senna said the 1993 Mclaren was probably the worst Mclaren of the last two decades and yet Senna drove it to the Max winning 5 grand prix's. Senna was unbelievable that season including two of the greatest F1 driver performances opf all time in the Donington Gp and Australian Gp.

Secondly Michael Andretti was very average if not completely Cr@p.

Thirdly Damon Hill was the best driver to arrive in formula 1 in 1993.

Firstly as our own Senna said the 1993 Mclaren was probably the worst Mclaren of the last two decades and yet Senna drove it to the Max winning 5 grand prix's. Senna was unbelievable that season including two of the greatest F1 driver performances opf all time in the Donington Gp and Australian Gp.

Thirdly Damon Hill was the best driver to arrive in formula 1 in 1993.

I knew my post was provocative :) . But that is still my opinion. Michael had more talent but Damon was better driver. Just like Gilles was very talented (yes, more talented than Michael) but perhaps not the best driver to constantly score points. Whereas Damon is more rational driver (and one of the best test drivers of 90`s) and his achievements in F1 were more due to his brain than sheer animal insticts...

Thats how I see it. But with this opinion I have constanly run to arguments with other F1 fans and from that experience I know that I will be defendant here too ;) .

I knew my post was provocative :) . But that is still my opinion. Michael had more talent but Damon was better driver. Just like Gilles was very talented (yes, more talented than Michael) but perhaps not the best driver to constantly score points. Whereas Damon is more rational driver (and one of the best test drivers of 90`s) and his achievements in F1 were more due to his brain than sheer animal insticts...

Thats how I see it. But with this opinion I have constanly run to arguments with other F1 fans and from that experience I know that I will be defendant here too ;) .

Fair Enough.

No doubt about it, Gilles was a superb driver.

Michael Andretti's problem was his attitude. He could have survived being Senna's team mate if he had shown a little (or a lot) more committment to F1 instead of scuttling back to the States between races.

Michael Andretti's problem was his attitude. He could have survived being Senna's team mate if he had shown a little (or a lot) more committment to F1 instead of scuttling back to the States between races.

Indeed. What worked for Mario Andretti back in days did not work for Michael. I guess the times had changed and Mario was a better driver too...

Thirdly Damon Hill*was the best driver to arrive in formula 1 in 1993.

Indeed.

*First full season.

When is this 'Villeneuve' film supposed to be being made anyway?

I don't know, but I'm sure it will be terrible, and not do justice to the man.

I don't know, but I'm sure it will be terrible, and not do justice to the man.

Their were also rumours of a Senna film with sylvester stallone as the legend... Cringe! :wacko:

I heard about that one. He would have been lynched for it if he'd gone ahead. The film he did make was bad enough.

Yeah that film was so good I dont even remember it being in the local cinema in my town :lol: .