Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Raikkonen Scoops Autosport Honour

Raikkonen scoops Autosport honour

Kimi Raikkonen has been named Autosport magazine's 2005 international racing driver, despite being beaten to the F1 title by Renault's Fernando Alonso.

The McLaren star received his trophy at a ceremony in London on Sunday from Britain's 1992 champion Nigel Mansell.

"I know what it's like to be a bridesmaid," said Mansell, who finished runner-up three times before eventually taking the title with Williams.

"I think it is just a question of time - Kimi is a future world champion."

The 26-year-old Finn was also runner-up to Ferrari's Michael Schumacher in 2003.

So all these morons think he's the best driver because he appeared to be quicker than Alonso at times. This shows a clear lack of knowledge from Autosport readers since Raikkonen made a lot more mistakes throughout the season (Go watch the season review, I did last night.... he made a lot of his own bad luck!!!).

By the way Alonso had control of the Championship and didn't need to be the fastest, this was caused by his consistently quick/mature Season.

I don

i read the season review too and except possibly european gp, i dont recall kimi making his own bad luck. All those mechanical failures and grid penalties were not his own doing!! Alonso was consistent but Kimi was also consistent - and consistently faster than alonso

Yeah!!! Another award for Kimi (McLaren was the best car as well) As far as concerns me Kimi and Mclaren can win all the awards next year and FA and Renault the oficial ones (the only important) :clap3:

i read the season review too and except possibly european gp, i dont recall kimi making his own bad luck. All those mechanical failures and grid penalties were not his own doing!! Alonso was consistent but Kimi was also consistent - and consistently faster than alonso

Kimi Went off on 3 occasions in Europe, Stuffed up his qualifying lap in China by out braking himself, and went off the track in dramatic fashion in Bahrain. O yes he also set the Fastest lap of the race in the French GP on the last lap of the race when he had no-one near him anywhere on the track (Quite unnecessary), that same engine blew up the next race in Britain. I

All is arguably but there

As I said before, Alonso being champion this year is almost the same as Irvine winning in 1999, had he won of course. You call it consistency etc, I call it benefiting from mclaren messing up. Do you think Irvine would be a worthy 1999 champion? If not please explain why!

As I said before, Alonso being champion this year is almost the same as Irvine winning in 1999, had he won of course. You call it consistency etc, I call it benefiting from mclaren messing up. Do you think Irvine would be a worthy 1999 champion? If not please explain why!

I

Thats your opinion wez but you're missing what I'm pointing out here. Irvine very nearly won the 99 title cos he was consistently just behind the mclarens, but mclaren kept making mistakes, and Irvine was able to win 4 races. Alonso in 2005 was consistently behind raikkonen but picked up masses of points when his rivals broke down. Irvine and Alonso didnt fight for wins and earn them, they only picked up the pieces when the fastest driver of the year was hindered by engine/mistake/mechanical fault. So if Irvine didnt deserve the 99 title, you can see why alonso didnt really deserve the 05 title. Everything that you say Alonso did in 05, Irv also did in 99

Like Raikkonen, Irvive was the second best driver in 1999.

Thankfully the championship results in both 2005 & 1999 showed who the best driver was.

Agreed but anyway KR would have been a more deserving champion than Irvine, Kimi is champion material Irvine wasn

Those who believe Raikkonen is the second best driver are in a minority, you must admit that. Being spanish I wouldn't expect you to admit raikkonen is better though

Thats your opinion wez but you're missing what I'm pointing out here. Irvine very nearly won the 99 title cos he was consistently just behind the mclarens, but mclaren kept making mistakes, and Irvine was able to win 4 races. Alonso in 2005 was consistently behind raikkonen but picked up masses of points when his rivals broke down. Irvine and Alonso didnt fight for wins and earn them, they only picked up the pieces when the fastest driver of the year was hindered by engine/mistake/mechanical fault. So if Irvine didnt deserve the 99 title, you can see why alonso didnt really deserve the 05 title. Everything that you say Alonso did in 05, Irv also did in 99

You can write it 500 times but that is not going to mean what you

Certainly stronger than your argument which is just "Alonso is the best, he's champion, he's best". I'm just showing you that the majority disagrees with you. If Alonso really deserved the title, there wouldnt be a debate about it would there.

But you havent got an answer for what I'm saying, maybe because you see my point?

I just think your point is irrelevant... Alonso won the championship by 21 points (which is massive in f1 Standards), Irvine lost by two in 1999.... that’s quite a difference!

But you havent got an answer for what I'm saying, maybe because you see my point?

No Jems, is just that i

No Jems, is just that i

LOL, what a stupid bunch of people, kimi as international driver of the year, gimme a break, surely the world champion of the pinnacle of motorsport should have won the honour! Pathetic!

LOL, what a stupid bunch of people, kimi as international driver of the year, gimme a break, surely the world champion of the pinnacle of motorsport should have won the honour! Pathetic!

I love the Christmas tree avator Ben, good to see you getting into the spirit early ;)

our decorations have been up in our house for 2 weeks :o

Im trying to find summin christmassy to put in my sig!

Ahh, now thats better! :D

Yeah Well put Kiko!

Nothing diffrent to the things yourself, Ecap and some others have been saying here... Fernando is the world champion and we don