Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

[big Ron] Dennis Wants F1 Season Shortened

Dennis wants F1 season shortened

BBC

_41125692_dennis.jpg

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has called for a shorter Formula One season to avoid over-exposing the sport.

The 2005 championship featured 19 races, with the same amount scheduled for next year, but Dennis believes 17 races should be the maximum.

"Just like individuals burn out, the public needs to have a break and then you rebuild expectation," he said.

"We have football saturation at the moment and we should avoid putting ourselves in the same situation."

The 2006 Formula One season starts in Bahrain on 12 March and ends in Brazil on 22 October.

"We are in a world championship, we shouldn't be rejecting Russia over having two races in Italy"

Ron Dennis,

McLaren boss

There are no new races after Turkey joined the schedule in 2005 and Bahrain and China made debuts in 2004.

And Dennis added there must be three clear months with no races while Italy and Germany should not host two Grands Prix a year.

"There is an argument that says we should be appealing more to those markets that fully embrace motor racing," he added.

"There is a very strong German market for motor racing so that should justify two German Grands Prix.

"For me, I think they should be alternated between the Nuerburgring and Hockenheim and we should be trying hard to keep the numbers to 16 or 17 races.

"If you ask me, do I want to race in Italy twice or once in Italy and once in Russia, to me it's a no-brainer.

"We are in a world championship, we shouldn't be rejecting Russia over having two races in Italy."

Any one else think that even 19 races isn't enough? I still feel short changed on 19 races!

Indeed. Although I question the wisdom in visiting France.

Indeed..................

And Germany shouldn

haha, an antarctic race would be cool, they could use spiked tires and run on ice not asfault. (you wouldnt need any cooling the air would be cold enough, if anything you would need heating lol)

a night race would be cool too, give the cars lights

OMG, a night race in antarctica!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont care if germany only has one even though i am german i only ask that the german race stays put on the sunday my birthday falls around

frace should host a race just not in the middle of a cow pasture, if the venue were better it would be fine

What about this. Three races per continent (except antarctica). :D

No the majority of races should be in Europe. That is the heart of F1.

I

Why does everyone dislike Magny-Cours?

Because it's not Paul Ricard. And it's in the middle of nowhere.

One race each for Italy and Germany, and reintroduce Zandvoort and Anderstorp.

Because it's not Paul Ricard. And it's in the middle of nowhere.

One race each for Italy and Germany, and reintroduce Zandvoort and Anderstorp.

excelent idea...............

I'm sure I replied to this topic earlier, has someone deleted it?

Dunno. The site went down earlier I think - I just got 404 errors for a while. Maybe it just got lost?

oh well, it was basically saying that I agree that f1 should be extending to places like Russia and Africa, make it more of a world ch'ship, I certainly wouldnt miss Imola, we dont need 2 italian races. Mind you Italians would be MAD if imola was banished - As for Magny Cours, its boring but France needs a GP

Any one else think that even 19 races isn't enough? I still feel short changed on 19 races!

I know what you mean, I would feel better if I could at least watch A1GP racing, but being without racing for over 4 months is depressing. I need my fix... Off season here in the US, there is no coverage of testing or any other developments going on. F1 magazine is to expensive to subscribe to, so without the Net I would go crazy.

I think they keep France on the schedule because they like using the Chunnel.... :rolleyes:

I think they keep France on the schedule because they like using the Chunnel.... :rolleyes:

I crossed the channel in the Eurotunnel...fast!

Mhh...I wish I could go back someday... ^_^

I crossed the channel in the Eurotunnel...fast!

Mhh...I wish I could go back someday... ^_^

Yes, save up and come back!

Why does everyone dislike Magny-Cours?

Its in France.

In fact we can locate the heart more accurately than that...

I'm actually in favour of Bahrain and other exotic locations though. F1 can perhaps do some good there.

Yes, save up and come back!

Yes do Mr Ecap.

A little. 19 is a lot better than before though. You can have too many GP I think, when they each become less "special" and anticipated.

i dont care if germany only has one even though i am german i only ask that the german race stays put on the sunday my birthday falls around

A good present.

frace should host a race just not in the middle of a cow pasture, if the venue were better it would be fine

You know who's paying for their lovely cow pastures?

Now, is there anyone else's posts I haven't replied to yet?

I propose that there is a limit of one Grand Prix per country and we only go to significant, stable, developed, democratic countries.

Could you put your list?