Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stefmeister

Richards Attacks Villeneuve, Again!

DR: BMW HAS MADE A MISTAKE WITH JV

Last Updated: Friday, 16, December, 2005, 17:51

Click to enlarge

Former BAR-Honda team principal David Richards believes that BMW may regret retaining Jacques Villeneuve for 2006.

Richards publicly fell out with JV at the end of 2003, leading to the French-Canadian quitting BAR with a race to go.

Now Richards has launched a scathing attack against his former driver Jacques Villeneuve in January's edition of F1 Racing, which goes on sale next Tuesday.

Richards claims that the former world champion "is past his sell by date" and added that he was surprised to see JV return to F1 in 2005.

"People have to make their own judgements on Jacques, and I made mine years ago, " said Richards

"Bluntly, he's past his sell-by date, and has been for some time."

"I know that Mario is retaining Jacque's services, but if I'd been him I wouldn't have even entertained the idea.

"In a difficult year

What is DR's problem with Jaques. He made it clear the second he joined BAR at the start of 2002 that he didn't like JV & seemed to make it his personnel goal to get JV out of F1.

Now its swung the other way with JV in F1 & DR not, i don't think he's all that happy!

Can't wait for JV's reaction :D

What a Baboon. I think its funny that even Jenson Button(the favored son) couldn't wait to get away from this guy. The fact that he had BAR up to second and he was still Sh#t canned says something about him.

Now more then ever I hope JV has the skills left in him to deliver some really great performances, if for nothing else then rub salt in this guys open wound of a personality.

Who still has a job in F1? Jacques.

Who is unemployed in F1? David Richards.

End of Story.

It's bitterness and sour grapes by Dirty Dave. It's funny the timing of this diatribe by richards comes out at the end of a week where by all accounts JV puts in a stellar performance where his quick lap stood all week and was only beaten by MS on his third from last lap today!. Was it an accident or deliberate attempt to slander JV and his accomplishment this week ot of spite.

I think the latter applies. If JV goes on to have a strong season this year as many believe to be the case, than Richard will be exposed to all for what he really is. A ruthless lier that orchestrated a character assassination of JV while at BAR not to mention Mess Colin Mccrae in Rallying. He's just another F1 low life that is an unscrupulous cheater and ran Jenson light in 2004.

Whatever Richards does or says, JV has a drive with BMW in 2006 and there's nothing he can say or do to change that, no matter how bitter he is. I don't expect JV to retaliate, he had his say in that F1 Racing interview and made his point clear. This won't bother him, he's got very thick skin.

Just remember though, Richards is the team boss who thought Sato would be a better asset to the team (on track and off) than Villeneuve. Situation at the present time is that JV has set the second fastest V8 time in a six day (overall) test and held the fastest time for all but Michael's last three laps. He's going into the winter with a drive with BMW, whilst Richards is out of F1 (dumped in favour of Button) and Sato has proven himself to be the definition of an inept race car driver, now struggling to find a seat in F1, and may only get one through marketing reasons (Honda setting up a team for him to please his fans).

DR's goal was to rid F1 of JV, and he succeeded for 11 months. Now JV is going into his second full season since 2003. JV is the winner, no matter how he performs (or fails to perform) next year.

Whatever Richards does or says, JV has a drive with BMW in 2006 and there's nothing he can say or do to change that, no matter how bitter he is. I don't expect JV to retaliate, he had his say in that F1 Racing interview and made his point clear. This won't bother him, he's got very thick skin.

Just remember though, Richards is the team boss who thought Sato would be a better asset to the team (on track and off) than Villeneuve. Situation at the present time is that JV has set the second fastest V8 time in a six day (overall) test and held the fastest time for all but Michael's last three laps. He's going into the winter with a drive with BMW, whilst Richards is out of F1 (dumped in favour of Button) and Sato has proven himself to be the definition of an inept race car driver, now struggling to find a seat in F1, and may only get one through marketing reasons (Honda setting up a team for him to please his fans).

DR's goal was to rid F1 of JV, and he succeeded for 11 months. Now JV is going into his second full season since 2003. JV is the winner, no matter how he performs (or fails to perform) next year.

Well said, nojv!!!!

I quite like Dave Richards. You can't deny he was never a good team boss at BAR.

Compared to Nick "Oh Lets Comment On Something Else" Fry.......

JV'll have his say. You can bet on that. Or he may take the "mature" response and let his driving do the talking.

Lets hope so.

cheers funkejay.

I really don't think JV will answer back to DR. As I said, he let everything off his chest in that interview with F1 Racing and really has nothing to prove to Richards. Richards brought about a very good structure to the BAR team, but really, the key ingredients (Willis and Honda) were there as a result of Pollock, not Richards, but he (Richards) is league's better than Fry.

cheers funkejay.

I really don't think JV will answer back to DR. As I said, he let everything off his chest in that interview with F1 Racing and really has nothing to prove to Richards. Richards brought about a very good structure to the BAR team, but really, the key ingredients (Willis and Honda) were there as a result of Pollock, not Richards, but he (Richards) is league's better than Fry.

I agree with 90% of what you say. But I cant warm to Pollock. I simply cant.

I agree with 90% of what you say. But I cant warm to Pollock. I simply cant.

As I mentioned before. Richards was sacked. The records show that BAR was most succesfull when Richards was the Manager, and they still found it neccessary to get rid of him. For this reason I question his ability as a manager. Maybe cheating was involved in 2004 and the Honda/Bar Management wanted no part of it . Don't know, but doesn't everyone wonder why a guy that "appeared" so successful was booted out. I suggest that there maybe a character flaw that absolutely negates his acheivements. A ruthless manager is not a good manager, plain and simple.

i think honda realised that button didn't want to work with richards and they simply chose button over richards. funny how once richards was out and honda were shoeing full committment button u-turned and wanted to stay.

i think it's much more difficult to say whether richards was in any cheating. plus, fry was at the helm when bar were caught.

Yeah, but from what I heard, they were running that system in 2004 as well but didn't get caught.

The records show that BAR was most succesfull when Richards was the Manager, and they still found it neccessary to get rid of him.

exactly, and that success was mostly due to factors which were brought in by Pollock (Willis, Honda)

Yeah, but from what I heard, they were running that system in 2004 as well but didn't get caught.

yes, i heard that too, but even so if they got rid of richards and the system continued to be used, then richards can't be held completely responsible for it. my comments were directed at apex's claim that richards ran jenson light and this should ber held against him. if that's so then fry and the incumbent honda people are jst as much to blame as richards. there are plenty of other reasons to dislike richards without adding ones without a clear connection.

yes, i heard that too, but even so if they got rid of richards and the system continued to be used, then richards can't be held completely responsible for it. my comments were directed at apex's claim that richards ran jenson light and this should ber held against him. if that's so then fry and the incumbent honda people are jst as much to blame as richards. there are plenty of other reasons to dislike richards without adding ones without a clear connection.

First of all, is it not disgusting to once again see this type of behavior from wealthy and supposedly classy people from the F1 world. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of sh*$ that comes from this formula. I do not think it is like this in other series!

None the less, I truly hope JV takes the moral high road and lets DRs comments rest! For if he does not, I can see a war of words that neither will win. After last year, we all had the opportunity to see that Jacques is not a "monster" as DR would have you believe. The fact is since Jenson was chosen over DR by Honda, and for obvious reasons, it is becoming very clear that the "monster" within BAR over those years was DR himself.... JV Has always held true to his statements about DR creating a smear campaign against him, and the fact the DR made this public statement (for no good reason) clearly proves to the world that he has an axe to grind with Jacques.

On this forum, and many others, people clearly agree..... DR is the one that looks bad from his article, and not JV........ JV still has a chance to at least leave F1 in a respectable manner.... DR does not. This is JVs last chance to prove to all that he was not a prick....... and that he always deserved a ride in F1. Whatever happens in 2006..... its in JVs hands..... and I for one am proud of the way he has stood up to the sh*$ F1 offers their people...... JVs uncle Jacques Villeneuve Senior was clearly as good as his brother Gilles, but chose not to stay in F1 because of the environment..... says alot to the world does it not?

Proudly Canadian

I have not read the latest copy of F1-Racing magazine to confirm the total article put out on Richards end- of -the- year statements on drivers ,but there is also a second part where he takes pot shots at several other drivers including Heidfeld and even Button. <<<This part of the article available from PitPass site posted up today.

Another site (F1i.com)

'BMW mad to keep JV'

Written by Administrator

Sunday, 18 December 2005

BMW is mad to keep Jacques Villeneuve in 2006, former BAR principal Dave Richards thinks. Richards, who had a frigid relationship with Villeneuve until he fired the French Canadian driver in 2003, told 'F1 Racing' magazine that JV is 'past his sell-by date'. ''If I'd been (Mario Theissen) I wouldn't have even entertained the idea (of keeping Jacques),'' David chimed. Although Villeneuve's 2006 contract proved water tight, Richards reckons he would have done anything to ensure that 'someone like Jacques' is not around for a 'difficult year' -- 'and 2006 will definitely be difficult for BMW,' the Briton added. Villeneuve, 34, has told the press that DR spread rumours around the paddock that he was impossible to work with. David Richards concluded: ''The last thing (BMW) need is ... Jacques.''

Richards reckons he would have DONE ANYTHING to ensure that 'someone like Jacques' is not around for a 'difficult year' .... I wonder if that was exactly his own words and whether he would do it again ?

First of all, is it not disgusting to once again see this type of behavior from wealthy and supposedly classy people from the F1 world. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of sh*$ that comes from this formula. I do not think it is like this in other series!

None the less, I truly hope JV takes the moral high road and lets DRs comments rest! For if he does not, I can see a war of words that neither will win. After last year, we all had the opportunity to see that Jacques is not a "monster" as DR would have you believe. The fact is since Jenson was chosen over DR by Honda, and for obvious reasons, it is becoming very clear that the "monster" within BAR over those years was DR himself.... JV Has always held true to his statements about DR creating a smear campaign against him, and the fact the DR made this public statement (for no good reason) clearly proves to the world that he has an axe to grind with Jacques.

On this forum, and many others, people clearly agree..... DR is the one that looks bad from his article, and not JV........ JV still has a chance to at least leave F1 in a respectable manner.... DR does not. This is JVs last chance to prove to all that he was not a prick....... and that he always deserved a ride in F1. Whatever happens in 2006..... its in JVs hands..... and I for one am proud of the way he has stood up to the sh*$ F1 offers their people...... JVs uncle Jacques Villeneuve Senior was clearly as good as his brother Gilles, but chose not to stay in F1 because of the environment..... says alot to the world does it not?

Proudly Canadian

Well said Proudly!!!

And welcome to the Forum. Glad to see more fellow Canadians on the site.......

As I mentioned before. Richards was sacked. The records show that BAR was most succesfull when Richards was the Manager, and they still found it neccessary to get rid of him. For this reason I question his ability as a manager. Maybe cheating was involved in 2004 and the Honda/Bar Management wanted no part of it . Don't know, but doesn't everyone wonder why a guy that "appeared" so successful was booted out. I suggest that there maybe a character flaw that absolutely negates his acheivements. A ruthless manager is not a good manager, plain and simple.

I think you've hit on it YHR. DR was an ineffective manager, whose style of divide and conquor politics were too destructive and antagonistic even for F1.

As for the success of BAR during DR's tenure, nojvnof1 is correct to point out that the increased competitiveness of the team had NOTHING to do with DR, but rather was a result of CP's coup in bringing Geoff Willis over from Williams. 2002 was the first year that Willis had any input on the design process, which meant that 2003 was the first Willis BAR chassis. Their form during '03 and '04 was a direct result of his improvements in design and build quality, and had little to do with DR.

exactly, and that success was mostly due to factors which were brought in by Pollock (Willis, Honda)

Who brought Jenson Button to the fore? ;)

Who secured Honda engines? ;)

Who brought Jenson Button to the fore? ;)

Who secured Honda engines? ;)

1. Frank Williams

2. Pollock got them interested. Richards promised Sato a seat, and that alone should negate anything positive he did. Case closed :D

What was that noise... was that DR shooting his mouth off again!

I have heard some pretty strong and reliable rumours that Richards was responsible for the beginnings of the cheating that was exposed this past season at BAR HONDA.

It also needs to be pointed out that over the last two weeks at Jerez JV had the third fastest time (was it best for V8 runners??) and was almost 2 seconds faster than quick Nick in the same equipment. I know it's only testing and to be fair I am sure the temperature differences played a role in the times but still, JV is quick. I hope he continues to show good form!!

As for richards... well he is a low life with too high an opinion of himself.

AR5 answered your questions Senna. Pollock brought Honda back to F1 and then convinced them to drop Jordan for BAR's exclusive use. Richards gave us Sato, enough said.

Has anyone else read the second part to DR's rant? He slags off Fisi, JPM, Button (major surprise for me), and Heidfeld, then oddly has huge praise for the man Nick beat, Mark Webber.

They say Jacques is a bitter person, and I'll admit that at times prior to his return, he did sound a little like that, but Richards is just making it personal (even moreso than it already was).

The bit I find interesting in his diatribe on why JV is so bad is that he would have done "anything" to have not hired JV at BMW were he the boss (which he isn't, so tough). I'm surprised to read he'd let personal matters (put bluntly his distaste for JV) interfere with his decision making, which would really effect the team, if only financially.

As you are all aware, it was rumoured that JV had a massive buyout clause in his contract. Add that to the fact JV could have probably sued for damages and loss of future earnings as it would have most certainly marked the end of his F1 career (funkejay is definitely in a better position to be talking about such matters, but this is just my guess).

We're talking about one hefty payout that could drag out (and probably would as JV and CP would fight for all their worth) and only be a major distraction for the team in their first season in F1 as a team. I wonder if JV has grounds for defamation as DR really has torn into him.

One word of advice for Richards though. Last I checked, the WRC, of which he is the commercial rights holder has lost major manufacturers such as Peugeot, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Skoda in recent years, three of them this year. Shouldn't he be more worried about his series rather than attacking drivers in an industry he is no longer involved in and continuing a personal vendetta which really is getting quite nasty?

Richards may believe the last thing BMW need is Jacques, but in reality, the last thing F1 needs is Richards, and Honda showed this when they gave him the boot. It must really hurt his massively overinflated ego that Jacques has a decent ride for next year and Richards has...well...nothing. Why else would he embark...sorry, continue...his smear campaign on JV?

1. Frank Williams

2. Pollock got them interested. Richards promised Sato a seat, and that alone should negate anything positive he did. Case closed :D

1. DR (I obviously meant at BAR!)

2. DR (he renewed the engine deal)

1. Frank Williams

A very convincing argument but DR did do some good things

Pollock had the harder job of actually getting them to return though.