Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Mclaren: 'hamilton's A Future Champ'

McLaren: 'Hamilton's a future Champ'

planetf1

McLaren boss Ron Dennis believes Lewis Hamilton is a Formula One star in the making, but urged his protege to be patient on the road to the top.

Dennis and McLaren have funded Hamilton's career for almost a decade, propelling him to the fringes of Formula One with a stunning rise through the junior categories.

The reigning European Formula Three Champion, from Hertfordshire, now tackles GP2, the last rung on the junior ladder, and Dennis is keen for the 20-year-old to keep his focus away from Formula One next year.

He said: "There is always going to be the youngest every driver to set foot in a car, youngest winner of a Formula One race and a Championship."

"He should not be obsessed with climbing into a Formula One car as fast as possible. He should be focused on starting in Formula One in the best possible way to achieve his goals."

"He is 21 in January, he's got at least 15 years competitive motor racing left of his career."

"He has always listened and taken our advice, results of him going down this path is that he will be a very competitive grand prix driver but he has to listen and take the approach we recommend."

Managing director Martin Whitmarsh has hailed Hamilton as a McLaren World Champion of the future, but Dennis expects he will break into Formula One with a rival team.

"It is highly unlikely that the first grand prix drive he has will be in a McLaren and he knows that," he added.

"Equally he knows that we will be supportive all the way through. We are not going to obstruct his career."

Whitmarsh has high hopes for Hamilton, believing he will ultimately return to McLaren and fight for titles. He expects his faith will be vindicated by next season's displays in the ultra-competitive GP2 series.

Whitmarsh said: "In our opinion Lewis has extraordinary talents, developing year on year, getting stronger mentally and with technical approach."

"We believe he will be a McLaren driver in the future. Our view is that we want to give him a sporting challenge, the right thing to do is GP2."

"We think he is good enough to go there and consistently win. We are not underestimating that - it is a tough challenge."

"Once he has won that Championship we can do some Formula One testing and then if there is a good opportunity to go Formula One racing in 2007 we would look at it seriously."

"We have paid his entire budget for the last eight or nine years and put a lot of time and effort in with Lewis."

"We wouldn't have been doing that unless we thought he will one day win a World Championship in a McLaren

You can't properly judge a driver's talent until they're in f1, racing. Plenty of drivers have done well in lower formulae then failed in f1

You can't properly judge a driver's talent until they're in f1, racing. Plenty of drivers have done well in lower formulae then failed in f1

Indeed but I

Takuma Sato was extremely impressive before 2004

yeah, his soapbox carreer was amazing!

satosoapbox7vo.jpg

:clap3::clap3:

Was that taken just before the accident?? :lol:

What accident?

I thought he always had been small size...

yeah, his soapbox carreer was amazing!

satosoapbox7vo.jpg

:lmavfa:

I didn't know Sato had already tested for Super Duper Aguri!

On Hamilton, he's will be the next British World Champion. Whilst I acknowledge that alot of drivers have succeeded in lower formulae only to flop in F1, I believe Hamilton is the real deal.

This raises some questions sorta..considering Alonso is at Mclaren for 2007+ (dunno how long, but i doubt just a year) then it most likely means Hamilton would be Alonso teammate?

I think its a 3 year deal. We very may well see Alonso and Hamilton paired up sometime in that 3 year period.

I didn't know Sato had already tested for Super Duper Aguri!

On Hamilton, he's will be the next British World Champion. Whilst I acknowledge that alot of drivers have succeeded in lower formulae only to flop in F1, I believe Hamilton is the real deal.

Lets see how he does in GP2 next year. I still think Button SHOULD be the next british world champion, as long has Honda give him the car

Reading about Paffett as well i would say Mclaren got way too many drivers associated with them.

Thats a good thing for them!

For Hamilton to be able to race alongside Alonso at Mclaren would be a tight squeeze if KR signs a new contract.

Button Champion? Is he switching to race Indy car?

p.s ecapdevile: I really loved seeing sato in the class he belongs! Thanks a million, a real gem!

:eusa_think: Just another "name" untill he races in F1, if I had a dollar........................

Wise words.

I'd be a rich man :lol:

:eusa_think: Just another "name" untill he races in F1, if I had a dollar........................

Just like Nico Rosberg is another name.

Lets see how he does in GP2 next year. I still think Button SHOULD be the next british world champion, as long has Honda give him the car

Should?!!!

Just like Nico Rosberg is another name.

Should?!!!

Don't you have a tree to hug? ;)

Merry Christmas B)