Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Alonso Follows Greats At Mclaren

Alonso follows greats at McLaren

planetf1

Fernando Alonso will be following in the footsteps of Formula One's giants when he joins McLaren at the end of next season.

Monday's surprise news means the Spaniard will add his name to a McLaren roll call which includes the sport's most famous sons.

McLaren, formed in 1963, are the second most successful team in Formula One history, beaten only by Ferrari, and much will be expected of Alonso when he joins at the start of 2007.

Here we take a look at the brightest McLaren stars who have preceded Alonso.

AYRTON SENNA (1988-1993)

Arguably the greatest driver of all time, Senna's reputation was built at McLaren after stints at Toleman and Lotus. In Ron Dennis he found a team boss who shared his insatiable appetite for victory and three championships in four seasons summed up a relentless drive for success.

McLaren stats: Titles: 3. Wins: 35. Points: 447.

ALAIN PROST (1980, 1984-89)

Like Alonso, Prost made his name at Renault before his move to McLaren. Once at Woking, the Frenchman's potential became obvious and, after losing out to Niki Lauda on the 1984 title by half a point, he won consecutive championships before Senna's arrival heralded a bitter battle for inter-team supremacy.

McLaren stats: Titles: 3. Wins: 31. Points: 431.5.

EMERSON FITTIPALDI (1974-75)

Before Alonso, Fittipaldi was Formula One's youngest champion following his 1972 win with Lotus, but his second crown came as part or the McLaren superteam of the mid 1970s. Like Alonso, Brazilian Fittipaldi was his nation's first Formula One success story, opening the floodgates for countless others.

McLaren stats: Titles: 1. Wins: 5. Points: 100.

MIKA HAKKINEN (1993-2001)

Brought McLaren out of their post-Senna slump after emerging from a life-threatening 1995 accident with a new vigour. Once his first victory was handed on a plate at Jerez 1997, the man who out-qualified Senna on his McLaren debut could not stop winning, becoming the only rival to consistently worry Michael Schumacher.

McLaren stats: Titles: 2. Wins: 20: Points: 407.

NIKI LAUDA (1982-1985)

Ended his two-year retirement to return to Formula One with McLaren, mainly to pay the bills for his fledgling airline. He earned his keep though, using his experience to prove consistency could triumph over outright speed by claiming the 1984 world title, his third, by a mere half a point.

McLaren stats: Titles: 1. Wins: 8. Points: 128

David Coulthard got sidelined due to arival of Montoya......a bitter year at Mclaren for coulthard....

Exactly the same situation as now.....

Exactly one year before, David was knowing that he has to make room for Montoya...and I guess, the history will repeat again with montoya, if Kimi doesn't go to Ferarri !!!!

History repeats......thats true...!!!! :(

What about the greatest british driver in history?

How can you forget James Hunt? Too much focus on Button these days.

and in the latest edition of autosport button was the modern day james hunt! so going by that button is also one of the great? i think not! however james hunt though before my time I understand to have been a brilliant driver!

Alonso follows greats at McLaren

planetf1

Fernando Alonso will be following in the footsteps of Formula One's giants when he joins McLaren at the end of next season.

Monday's surprise news means the Spaniard will add his name to a McLaren roll call which includes the sport's most famous sons.

McLaren, formed in 1963, are the second most successful team in Formula One history, beaten only by Ferrari, and much will be expected of Alonso when he joins at the start of 2007.

Here we take a look at the brightest McLaren stars who have preceded Alonso.

AYRTON SENNA (1988-1993)

Arguably the greatest driver of all time, Senna's reputation was built at McLaren after stints at Toleman and Lotus. In Ron Dennis he found a team boss who shared his insatiable appetite for victory and three championships in four seasons summed up a relentless drive for success.

McLaren stats: Titles: 3. Wins: 35. Points: 447.

ALAIN PROST (1980, 1984-89)

Like Alonso, Prost made his name at Renault before his move to McLaren. Once at Woking, the Frenchman's potential became obvious and, after losing out to Niki Lauda on the 1984 title by half a point, he won consecutive championships before Senna's arrival heralded a bitter battle for inter-team supremacy.

McLaren stats: Titles: 3. Wins: 31. Points: 431.5.

EMERSON FITTIPALDI (1974-75)

Before Alonso, Fittipaldi was Formula One's youngest champion following his 1972 win with Lotus, but his second crown came as part or the McLaren superteam of the mid 1970s. Like Alonso, Brazilian Fittipaldi was his nation's first Formula One success story, opening the floodgates for countless others.

McLaren stats: Titles: 1. Wins: 5. Points: 100.

MIKA HAKKINEN (1993-2001)

Brought McLaren out of their post-Senna slump after emerging from a life-threatening 1995 accident with a new vigour. Once his first victory was handed on a plate at Jerez 1997, the man who out-qualified Senna on his McLaren debut could not stop winning, becoming the only rival to consistently worry Michael Schumacher.

McLaren stats: Titles: 2. Wins: 20: Points: 407.

NIKI LAUDA (1982-1985)

Ended his two-year retirement to return to Formula One with McLaren, mainly to pay the bills for his fledgling airline. He earned his keep though, using his experience to prove consistency could triumph over outright speed by claiming the 1984 world title, his third, by a mere half a point.

McLaren stats: Titles: 1. Wins: 8. Points: 128

I feel alonso has betrayed ren :thbdn: and all there staff. They worked so hard to give him a wining car last season and I feel he has let them down. On the other hand there is going to be a terrific fight at Mclaren for wins :thumb: I think it could be Senna- Prost like.

Don't you call Hunt a contract jumping weasel again! If Autosport have to do Button the favor of comparing him to a WDC, something I think is way out of line when he is yet to do better than 2nd in a race, they could compare him to Damon Hill. Still I'd rather see Button compared to Verstappen or someone like that.

Don't you call Hunt a contract jumping weasel again! If Autosport have to do Button the favor of comparing him to a WDC, something I think is way out of line when he is yet to do better than 2nd in a race, they could compare him to Damon Hill. Still I'd rather see Button compared to Verstappen or someone like that.

well you're clearly a moron-boy aren't you. Anyway Button is nothing like Hunt at all. Button doesnt smoke, drink and womanise!!

James Hunt was a fantastically quick driver in qualifying - he'd just go out and nail it. And quick in the race, too, as long as the car was any good that is. A shame he lost interest at the end.

TN_Silverstone-1975-07-19-024.jpghuntflyernurburgring75.jpg

well you're clearly a moron-boy aren't you. Anyway Button is nothing like Hunt at all. Button doesnt smoke, drink and womanise!!

Hey, it was the 70's, womanising came with the terrritory. As far as the drugs and drink goes they became a necessary evil since racing scared him senseless. You got to wind down somehow don't you? And beside, we have no idea if the racers of today and later years all take drugs, the issue for Hunt was that he more or less promoted the fact that he did, eg showing up barefeet at parties. All in all a top bloke, just my kind of guy :beer22:

Hey, it was the 70's, womanising came with the terrritory. As far as the drugs and drink goes they became a necessary evil since racing scared him senseless. You got to wind down somehow don't you? And beside, we have no idea if the racers of today and later years all take drugs, the issue for Hunt was that he more or less promoted the fact that he did, eg showing up barefeet at parties. All in all a top bloke, just my kind of guy :beer22:

Completely agree.

yet he never won a champoinship

James Hunt?

1976 Marlboro Team McLaren

2nd, 74 points - James Hunt - World Champion, Jochen Mass.

I don't know how you can compare Hunt to Button. Hunt is a World Champion, Button hasn't won a race!!

I don't know how you can compare Hunt to Button. Hunt is a World Champion, Button hasn't won a race!!

I looked at the article in autosport, they're comparing their situations, not their statistics. Hunt was stuck with midfield machinery but made good use of it - similar to what Button has had in his time in f1 so far. The article also compares Scheckter and Montoya!

Hi all,

Im still on holiday, having a great time... but just wanted to drop by quick and inform you I will a Mclaren supporter in 2007 :D:D:D (Ash will be glad to hear that).

Go Fernando!!!

Im delighted he's not off to that red team.

Cheers Wez!

Hi all,

Im still on holiday, having a great time... but just wanted to drop by quick and inform you I will a Mclaren supporter in 2007 :D:D:D (Ash will be glad to hear that).

Go Fernando!!!

Im delighted he's not off to that red team.

Cheers Wez!

I am also damm happy about this move......hope, Kimi also stays where he is right now.... :D

So do I. Kimi and Fernando at McLaren would be fantastic for the sport, however I think Kimi is on his way to Ferrari.

Ja, for sure....

As I said before in other topic......it is now so difficult for all the three drivers (Kimi, Alonso and Montoya) to concentrate on their respective jobs !!!! and I guess, it is much more difficult for Kimi and Juan, as only one race seat is left (as quoted by Niki Lauda); unless and until Kimi wears the red colour.... !!!!

For Kimi, it is also not that easy, as Red Cars have lost the tag from Vodafone !!!!

and now, they want to save money........

so is the situation at Mclaren......if they want to keep the services of both high profiled drivers like Kimi and Alonso, then they must pay to them accordingly......and I guess, it is one way possible....as from 2007, they have Vodafone at their disposal with lot and lots of $$$$$ :D

I actually think this may actually be a positive for JPM and Kimi. If Kimi doesn't have a seat with Ferrari already, then he'll want to prove he is deserving of the second seat, same with Montoya. Should Kimi stay with McLaren, then Montoya would want to impress other teams, with BMW looking like a possibility.

As for Alonso, I think he will be fine. The decision has been announced now he's just going to race hard and try to go back to back and take the number 1 to McLaren. It will be difficult late in the season as he'll most likely do very little testing though.