Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Parag

Paffet Becomes Mclaren Test Driver

Source: F1racing.net

The McLaren team today announced that it has signed 2005 DTM Champion Gary Paffet to become the team's official test driver. Paffet is likely going to replace Alexander Wurz who is still negotiating with the team about his future.

Gary's relationship with the team began in December 1999 when he was awarded the prestigious 'McLaren Autosport Young Driver of the Year Award'. As a result of winning the Award, Gary conducted his first Formula One test with Team McLaren Mercedes in 2000 and since then he has helped the team with both its testing and simulation work on a regular basis. In 2003 Gary joined Mercedes-Benz in the DTM Championship and went on to claim the title in 2005.

"I'm really excited about this opportunity and the challenges ahead," said Gary. "This is the culmination of my continuous relationship with McLaren and Mercedes-Benz. For my efforts to be officially recognised by one of the most successful Formula One teams and reaching my goal of getting a regular Formula One seat is a fantastic feeling. I have really enjoyed my time in the DTM Championship and being able to also continue my relationship with Mercedes-Benz in this manner is the icing on the cake. I'm 100 per cent committed to my role as a Team McLaren Mercedes test driver and can't wait to start the 2006 testing programme. I want to thank everybody who has helped me achieve this goal - it wouldn't have been possible without their support."

"We are certain that Gary is the right choice as Team McLaren Mercedes test driver and are pleased to welcome him to the team," said Martin Whitmarsh, CEO Formula One, Team McLaren Mercedes. "In order to achieve our objective of winning races and World Championship we have to employ the best drivers available and Gary definitely fits into this category. He has been involved with McLaren and Mercedes-Benz since winning the 'McLaren Autosport Young Driver Award' and we are pleased that the right opportunity came along at the right time. Gary is committed to the work laying ahead of him and everybody at McLaren look forward to his contribution."

"Whilst we are pleased to welcome Gary to the team, we are still in discussion with Alex Wurz regarding his future and will announce our plans in due course," continues Martin Whitmarsh.

Norbert Haug, Vice President, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport said: "Gary deserved his chance and he has seized it. In the last two years in the DTM Championship he proved his talent against tough competition. Since he started taking part in the team's Formula One tests on the 28th November, Gary has completed a total of more than 1,100 kilometres and convinced the team of his capabilities. His promotion to the Formula One team demonstrates that DTM is also a springboard for young talents who can make their way through touring cars to the top category of motor sport."

Good news for Gary. I wonder what Antonia will make of this. Gary is now a step closer to an F1 seat but he's out of DTM. Where will Wurz go should he leave McLaren though as BMW have already filled their third seat. Very interesting.

Good news for Gary. I wonder what Antonia will make of this. Gary is now a step closer to an F1 seat but he's out of DTM. Where will Wurz go should he leave McLaren though as BMW have already filled their third seat. Very interesting.

DTM?

I don't see many other options for him. His racing future is no longer in F1, and he probably knows that now.

I don't see many other options for him. His racing future is no longer in F1, and he probably knows that now.

Its about time he took the hint that no-one wants him

classic jemstride. :lol:

poor wurzy, seemingly the only austrian not wanted by red bull.

Let's hope Paffett doesn't get stuck in the test drivers role for years like Wurz did. Its a risk to take but one he needs to take... Lets hope it pays off.

Indeed

OH GOOD GOD I DID NOT KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GARY WILL RULE THE WORLD, YOU WAIT AND SEE

He's not out of DTM, he has a 2006 contract. They operate on alternating weekends, so it is possible for him to do both. Mercedes wouldn't let their DTM wunderkind go out of dtm that easily

OH GOOD GOD I DID NOT KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GARY WILL RULE THE WORLD, YOU WAIT AND SEE

He's not out of DTM, he has a 2006 contract. They operate on alternating weekends, so it is possible for him to do both. Mercedes wouldn't let their DTM wunderkind go out of dtm that easily

I've been waiting for this post, what took so long?

I haven't visited the site in a while (hope everyone had a good Christmas by the way!)

Just been watching the DTM season review... reminded me just how good Paffett really is (and how good the Norisring race was). For any of you who do not watch DTM and have the chance to, please do. It's such a fantastic race series, I can't talk it up enough

We noticed........ ^_^

Indeed..................

:(

Antonia, don't take it to heart, just having fun with your love of DTM.........You don't have any Gary or other DTM drivers dolls do you? ;):naughty:

Haha, that would be so funny if they made them!

So annoying, DTM finally comes back to the uk and Gary will probably not be racing... will have to keep tabs on the DTM entry list for 2006. Hopefully HHF will still be racing despite opel leaving. HHF's good and it would be sad to see him cast out just because of Opel.

I know I bang on about DTM. The only way to stop me is for you ALL to watch it!!!!!

[quote name='kaisersalsek' post='93303' date='Dec 31 2005, 07:12 AM']I know I bang on about DTM. The only way to stop me is for you ALL to watch it!!!!![/quote]

I probably would but it is not broadcast here in the USA but for highlights on occasion :(

Wurz has not been "bullSh#tted" at all. Wurz is not a great race driver, a one off performance in a race is not enough to justify a full time seat (see pizzonia from this season, everyone talked him up after his first race replacing nick and I remained doubtful of his abilities. Now everybody holds him in the same regard as me, and that is not very high). It would be naive of you to think otherwise. Paffett holds much more future promise than Wurz ever did.

Paffett holds much more future promise than Wurz ever did.

I'll reserve judgement on that till I see him drive an F1, till then he's just another no-name unproven at that :eusa_think:

oh no no no, paffett is no no-namer! I assure you you will be hearing LOADS about him in the years to come

On a side note, I was reading a 2002 autosport earlier and found out that he kicked liuzzi's (and everybody elses) arse so much in the german F3 mwhaha (yeah I know liuzzi's rubbish anyway but still :) )