Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Di Montezemolo: Schu Is Our Future

DI MONTEZEMOLO: SCHU IS OUR FUTURE

ITV

31121_1.jpg

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo says Michael Schumacher has a place in the team's future, despite rumours that the seven-time champion may quit at the end of 2006.

Speculation persists that the great German could hang up his helmet and make way for Finnish ace Kimi Raikkonen.

But Montezemolo claims that it will be the Schumacher, and not the team, that makes the decision over its 2007 line-up.

"Michael will be the one to decide whether he carries on racing," said di Montezemolo at Ferrari's media Christmas lunch.

"For us Michael Schumacher isn't just the present at Ferrari, he's also the future. For us, his speed and motivation are undiminished, he is still the best.

"If he quits I'll be sorry, but I know that if he decides to do so, it'll be because he doesn't feel like being number one anymore. It will be better that way."

Di Montezemolo added that he expected a decision to made next summer, and although he did not rule out signing Raikkonen, he added it was too early to be sure of anything.

"Everything should come at the right time," he said.

"To announce today he will race for us in 2007 would go against nature."

Ferrari should sign Raikkonen over Schumacher. If they miss out on Raikkonen this time, they might have to wait an awfully long time before they get another opportunity. Whereas Michael will retire very soon anyway

:eusa_think: Indeed Ferrari should snap up Kimi...........

Couldn't agree more, Kimi is the future and Michael is now sadly, the past master.

Past master? where does that leave Button :lol:

Couldn't agree more, Kimi is the future and Michael is now sadly, the past master.

I wish i could see your face first race next year when the 'past master' passes a dirty big champagne bottle over the front rail of the podium..

I wish i could see your face first race next year when the 'past master' passes a dirty big champagne bottle over the front rail of the podium..

Indeed..............

What's Button got to do with this? :unsure:

A simple question, if Kimi is the future and Schumi is a past master where does Button fit in??? My past master(Schu) will spank the racer touched by God :D

A simple question, if Kimi is the future and Schumi is a past master where does Button fit in??? My past master(Schu) will spank the racer touched by God :D

Button fits in as the underdog as all Brits have in the past. The underdog that makes people eat their words. ;)

I'm looking forward to reading peoples excuses next season when Button wins a race and then the season after when he is a serious title contender.

I'm looking forward to reading peoples excuses next season when Button wins a race and then the season after when he is a serious title contender.

just like he did this season ;)

Ferrari is never tired of praising MS. I hope this is called Myopia.

Also Ferari does not want MS to go and rece else where. They want him to retire with them. Even though all the sweet talks of Ferrari saying we are together for ever, I feel talks will start ,once the year 2006, starts bet them (Ferrari nad MS) to decide his future.

Ferrari is never tired of praising MS. I hope this is called Myopia.

Also Ferari does not want MS to go and rece else where. They want him to retire with them. Even though all the sweet talks of Ferrari saying we are together for ever, I feel talks will start ,once the year 2006, starts bet them (Ferrari nad MS) to decide his future.

M.Schumacher won't even consider racing elsewhere when his current contract expires. It will be Ferrari or nothing and I expect nothing. He is already past his prime...

just like he did this season ;)

:rolleyes:

M.Schumacher won't even consider racing elsewhere when his current contract expires. It will be Ferrari or nothing and I expect nothing. He is already past his prime...

My thoughts exactly...

Yes it will be Ferrari or nothing and I'll take Schu past his sell by date over Button and his "touched by God"

as would I

As would I, at the present moment, but I shall look with great interest at the battle at Honda next year. This will be a good way to judge Jenson against Michael. However, this time Rubens will get equal equipment, equal status etc

B) He will teach the young Brit a thing or two if he's willing to learn................

Regarding JV, you're wrong Senna. Button himself stated that he learned alot from JV in terms of setup and learning how to discuss such topics with engineers. He went on to say that he'd learnt to be more proactive and insistent in his recommendations on setup as he had been a little too quiet.

As for the team revolving around JV, that all stopped when Richards came to power in the team, that argument holds no water whatsoever. Had JB come to BAR between 1999-2001 then that's a totally different story, but with Richards playing out his spat with JV through the media and constantly taking snipes at his own driver for goodness sakes, the team was far from revolved around JV by the time JB arrived. If anything, I'd go as far to say that the team was beginning to revolve around Button through DR's games and the way he was hyping him up in the media.