Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

The Official Testing Thread

He deserved it based on his performances in 04 and the early 05 races

As for BMW Sauber, positive thoughts about JV's season have taken a little nosedive (only a little) after seeing him just under a second slower than Nick. I mean he's always been there or thereabouts (probably no slower than .5 or so than Nick when they've tested together) so this is an odd result. The press release is alittle odd as it only makes mention of them both doing race sims. As bad as people want to portray Jacques as being, he's definitely not a second a lap slower than Heidfeld, so my guess, and that's all it is, is that Nick must have done a low fuel run and JV didn't as I really am mystified at the massive gap. I say that as Jacques and Nick have always been pretty close in testing. If not, then I'll have to reassess my predictions for the year. Anyways, there's a test at Imola next week, hopefully normal business will resume.

According to an inside source who works at Hinwill on jv-world forum who seems very reliable and trust-worthy they were on completily different race scenarios. Take it for what it's worth.....

Oh ok, I think I know who you're talking about and I pretty much take that guy's word over alot of others all the time as pretty much everything he has said has come true. It certainly explains in part why the gap was so big as JV and NH have been relatively close all winter. Big thanks for that.

Oh ok, I think I know who you're talking about and I pretty much take that guy's word over alot of others all the time as pretty much everything he has said has come true. It certainly explains in part why the gap was so big as JV and NH have been relatively close all winter. Big thanks for that.

this is precisely what i meant yesterday,when i said that the "times:" themselves(without any background mean nothing)

[sarcasm]though an "intelligent" poster can make conclusions based on these times.races are meant as a true test of driver potential r only for dumb followers, people like me,these intelligent people draw conclusions like "nick is quicker" "Jv will outqualify nick in a ratio of 2:1 " etc based on testing,and he later "intelligently claims continuing his "intelligent argument further " that talking about such "inteklligent" comments is not even fun ,how true it is not even fun for me now to argue with a person who feels aerodynamics dont account for a "few " seconds advantage in a race .true, true "dumb" teams like "toyota" ,honda williams redbull etc are dumb to invest money on windtunnels on [/sarcasm]

Drivers complete very productive four-day test in Bahrain

The Honda Racing F1 Team has completed the fourth and final day of what's been an extremely productive test pre-season at the Bahrain International Circuit with 4638kms completed in total.

Race drivers Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello were again in action on Thursday driving chassis RA106-01 and chassis RA106-03 respectively. The weather continued to be very sunny and warm with ambient temperatures of 27 degrees Celsius and track temperatures of 33 degrees Celsius.

Both Jenson and Rubens had a particularly productive final day today. Jenson spent the day focusing on a tyre evaluation programme, with live pit stops during the afternoon session, followed by a chassis set-up evaluation to conclude the day's running. Jenson completed 133 laps in total and set the fastest time of the V8 runners for the third day in succession.

Rubens completed a successful race simulation today, along with a suspension and aero programme. He completed 101 laps in total.

Bahrain test times - Thursday

1. Felipe Massa (Ferrari V10) 1m 30.563s

2. Jenson Button (Honda) 1m 31.248s

3. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Toro Rosso) 1m 31.379s

4. Rubens Barrichello (Honda) 1m 31.588s

5, Scott Speed (Toro Rosso) 1.32.619s

6. Michael Schumacher (Ferrari) 1m 32.901s

NB: Massa is driving a restricted V10 2004 Ferrari and Liuzzi is driving a restricted V10 2005 Red Bull.

Full report with driver feedback from Bahrain

The Honda Racing F1 Team moved to Bahrain this week for the first Formula One testing session to be held at the Sakhir circuit.

The team took the opportunity to test on the track which will host the opening race of the 2006 F1 season in just over three weeks time. Four consecutive days of testing on the technically demanding 5.417km circuit and in the warm climate of Bahrain has proved invaluable preparation for the new season with the team's four drivers completing 854 laps and covering 4638kms in total.

Anthony Davidson and Young Driver James Rossiter began the test on Monday as the brand new chassis RA106-03 was given its first outing. Anthony had a productive day working on the set-up of his car, alongside tyre and aero evaluations, completing 114 laps and setting the fastest time of the 2006 cars. James also focused on set-up work in the new chassis, alongside a short aero evaluation in the afternoon session. James completed 68 laps over the day, adapting very impressively to the new RA106 and quickly setting competitive lap times.

Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello joined the team on Tuesday. Both drivers spent their early laps completing familiarisation and set-up runs in their respective cars before working on tyre and aero evaluation programmes in the afternoon. Jenson completed 88 laps, with Rubens totalling 105 laps, as the two race drivers set almost identical times to finish fastest of the 2006 cars.

The race drivers continued the test programme on Wednesday concentrating on tyre and aerodynamic evaluations, followed by a race simulation exercise in the afternoon session. Jenson completed a very impressive 140 laps, setting the second fastest time overall, with Rubens completing 104 laps.

Both Jenson and Rubens had a particularly productive final day on Thursday. Jenson spent the day focusing on a tyre evaluation programme, with live pitstops in the afternoon session, followed by a chassis set-up evaluation to conclude the day's running. Jenson completed 133 laps and set the fastest time of the V8 runners for the third day in succession. Rubens completed a second successful race simulation, along with a suspension and aero programme. He completed 101 laps in total.

Rubens Barrichello - Fastest lap: 01:31.483 (Tuesday)

I read an article when someone explained that by not going to Bahrain they could run two extra test sessions in Europe or something along those lines. Like Ben, I'm amazed more teams didn't test at Bahrain as although teams may get two more tests in Europe, nothing makes up for real time testing in the heat of Bahrain where they will race in 3 weeks time.

indeed. surely the obvious thing was to have tested at bahrain? With the heat and stuff it would help them evaluate reliability and so on and gain valuble set-up knowledge.

Valencia:

1 H. Kovalainen Renault Michelin 01:10.618 140

2 JP. Montoya McLaren Michelin 01:10.657 50

3 G. Fisichella Renault Michelin 01:10.938 118

4 N. Rosberg Williams Bridgestone 01:11.139 78

5 K. R

Could everyone ranting just a few weeks ago about how Renault are not going to be a challenger this season please lift the hands high for all to see! :rolleyes:

It makes me sad, but it does look like Renault are going to be the frontrunners. I'm just grateful that Honda are also looking strong

It makes me sad, but it does look like Renault are going to be the frontrunners. I'm just grateful that Honda are also looking strong

They are looking much improved, Im quite sure your boy will break his duck this season!

and hopefully your boy will actually beat his opposition this year rather than rely on the better opposition breaking down!!

this is precisely what i meant yesterday,when i said that the "times:" themselves(without any background mean nothing)

[sarcasm]though an "intelligent" poster can make conclusions based on these times.races are meant as a true test of driver potential r only for dumb followers, people like me,these intelligent people draw conclusions like "nick is quicker" "Jv will outqualify nick in a ratio of 2:1 " etc based on testing,and he later "intelligently claims continuing his "intelligent argument further " that talking about such "inteklligent" comments is not even fun ,how true it is not even fun for me now to argue with a person who feels aerodynamics dont account for a "few " seconds advantage in a race .true, true "dumb" teams like "toyota" ,honda williams redbull etc are dumb to invest money on windtunnels on [/sarcasm]

:lol::lol:

For the record I said I don't think aero pieces will cut off seconds off a lap time. 10ths and hundreths maybe, but not seconds. These cars already slice through the wind, and at this level of competiton an aero change is not going to reduce a laptime by seconds. Over the course of a year you might get a second with aero changes alone, but that is it, unless your first attempt was a square box.

I made the prediction that JV would out perform NH before testing even started, so I based that solely on being a JV fanatic.

So again I must say, I don't know what you are on about.

How about you do me a favor and put me in your "ignore" file. I don't think there is much we need to discuss.

Could everyone ranting just a few weeks ago about how Renault are not going to be a challenger this season please lift the hands high for all to see! :rolleyes:

Could everyone ranting just a few weeks ago about how McLaren are not going to be a challanger this season please lift their hands high for all to see!

R

indeed. surely the obvious thing was to have tested at bahrain? With the heat and stuff it would help them evaluate reliability and so on and gain valuble set-up knowledge.

Indeed.

Ferrari are in Sh#t :(

slow, just a single car ready 3 weeks before bahrain and new reliability problems :(

Here

Have McLaren been sandbagging?? KR posted the fastest times yet on that circuit. Or did they just finally get one motor to stay together long enough to finish a day?.

It is going to be a great season. Lots of unknowns.

Could everyone ranting just a few weeks ago about how McLaren are not going to be a challanger this season please lift their hands high for all to see!

That would be me. I think they have some trouble, and are going to be plagued with reliability problems, but who knows. They could come out of the gate fast and never look back.

I wouldn't take too much heart out of seeing McLaren blitz testing at Valencia. They dominated there with the MP4-19, then nothing.

Kaiser, you don't have to read the posts where JV and NH are compared you know. Don't like it, don't read it, simple as that.

I wouldn't take too much heart out of seeing McLaren blitz testing at Valencia. They dominated there with the MP4-19, then nothing.
It pains me to say this but I'm taking this bit of good news w/ a grain of salt too. I hope they get their act together and be competitive, maybe not in Bahrain but hopefully in Sepang.

BTW, Hello to everyone. . I've enjoyed reading your posts (including the veiled insults :D ) and I appreciate the info/links/articles that people contributes.... :banana-wave:

See, I finally found the nerve to come out of lurkdom and register. Obviously, there's a testosterone overdrive here. :P Are there other ladies in the house?

:cheers:

Oh and mclaren fastest means little. Anyone remember JB at Jerez last february setting a massively fast time, nothing came of it though. I suspect he was on fumes to have set that time

Yes I remember JB buttons massively fast time. I also remember that it was completely pointles to do low fuel simulations like that one for THAT season. This season is another story. Everyone is doing low fuel qualifaing simulation, McLaren have been the fastest ones so far doing that.

If this mean anything, who knows? We can only speculate. To speculate we look at the testing times...and there we find a McLaren on top.

Kimi's lap time is not very indicative,but it is still a lot quicker than the Renault and Honda's lap times in qualifying set up the previous weeks,so it means the mp4/21 definitely has potential.It remains to be seen if they'll be able to sort out their technical problems to make the car a winning one

Ferrari are in Sh#t :(

slow, just a single car ready 3 weeks before bahrain and new reliability problems :(

I'm gonna have an orgasm... :yahoo: