Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

The Official Testing Thread

Testing resumes this week

PF1

Formula One returns to the testing arena this week at Jerez in southern Spain where all the teams excluding Midland will be present.

Renault, Ferrari, Toyota and Red Bull are expected to begin testing on Tuesday.

McLaren, Williams, Honda, BMW and Scuderia Toro Rosso will all join the action the following day.

This week's Jerez test runs from the 10th to the 15th.

F1 set for first test of 2006

Nine teams in action at Jerez

A busy month ahead at Jerez and Barcelona

Every team, except MF1 Racing and the hopeful Super Aguri camp, are set to test for the first time in 2006 at the Jerez track this week. MF1 Racing will test at Silverstone.

At Jerez, the initial four-day session will kick off on Tuesday, with Ferrari, Renault, Toyota and Red Bull in action. They are to be joined by Honda, McLaren, Williams, BMW Sauber and Scuderia Toro Rosso on Wednesday.

Of the nine teams, Renault, Toyota and Red Bull will all be working with 2006-spec cars.

Over the weekend, Michelin will conduct a wet weather test, ahead of another full week at Jerez de la Frontera, to again get going on Tuesday.

After that, the next major group test will be staged at another Spanish venue

now that the "Testing " thread is made

it would be better if this remains the "2006 Winter testing thread

instead of times being posted on a new thread on a daily basis

for that purpose ,this thread can be pinned,i think :eusa_think:

now that the "Testing " thread is made

it would be better if this remains the "2006 Winter testing thread

instead of times being posted on a new thread on a daily basis

for that purpose ,this thread can be pinned,i think :eusa_think:

Hmmm

:D Please put all testing results etc. in this thread, any other threads started on test shall be merged or deleted...............Thanks pumpdoc :D

(GMM) Wearing a new Red Bull uniform, Adrian Newey will show his face at the first test of 2006, at Jerez in Spain, on Tuesday.

McLaren's departed technical director, who started as 'chief technical offer' at Milton Keynes on Monday, vowed to be in pitlane as the Ferrari powered 'RB2' is tested.

''It'll be nice to escape England in January and to be back at a race track again,'' the Englishman, 46, said.

''I'm also looking forward to hearing the sound of these new V8 engines for the first time.''

Newey said he would spend the first days of his new job 'observing' the team and getting to know his Red Bull colleagues.

He explained: ''The technical team is very strong and has a good reputation, so my aim at the start will simply be to understand how Red Bull Racing operates.''

The highly-lauded aerodynamicist and engineer has not been involved in the design of Red Bull's 2006 racer.

F1central.com

good idea to pin this thread narain fan. Should see less clutter of the same testing times and reports in the board. I can't wait for testing to begin as it will keep us entertained at the very least, but I'm really looking forward to next week, when BMW launch the new car and start testing it.

good idea to pin this thread narain fan. Should see less clutter of the same testing times and reports in the board. I can't wait for testing to begin as it will keep us entertained at the very least, but I'm really looking forward to next week, when BMW launch the new car and start testing it.

I cant wait to see the times the RB2 sets. I found it really annoying when i found out that Red Bull didnt release the times they made at Silverstone.

I cant wait to see the times the RB2 sets. I found it really annoying when i found out that Red Bull didnt release the times they made at Silverstone.

even if they would have released the times,it would not have been of any use in assesing how strong the package actually is

I must admit that this weeks of testing will be rather dull. Only the RB2 and the R26 will be true 2006 spec cars. Next week however is when the real machinery takes to the track. I think the MP4-21 will debut on the 17th...Now there is something to write home about :D

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=26824

Test Times: Jerez - 10-01

10/01/2006

Today's Times

Name Team T Laps Time Gap

M Schumacher Ferrari B 82 1:18.020 126.957 mph

Zonta Toyota B 66 1:19.348 1.328

R Schumacher Toyota B 59 1:19.866 1.846

Alonso * Renault M 61 1:19.929 1.909

Badoer * Ferrari B 63 1:20.091 2.071

Fisichella Renault M 39 1:20.555 2.535

Coulthard Red Bull M 31 1:21.986 3.966

Note: * denote V10

New Renault, Red Bull break cover

Fisichella put the new Renault through its paces in Jerez

World champions Renault and rising stars Red Bull both gave their new Formula One cars their first outing in testing in Spain on Tuesday.

Giancarlo Fisichella put the first miles on Renault's new R26 at Jerez, which bore a striking resemblance to last year's double-title-winning R25.

And David Coulthard drove Red Bull's new R3B, which featured a much higher, flatter nose than its predecessor.

Michael Schumacher's 2005 Ferrari set the fastest time of the day.

The seven-time champion was driving a car fitted with Ferrari's new 2.4-litre V8 engine - a format demanded by a change in rules outlawing the three-litre V10s which have been used since 1995.

The German set a fastest time of one minute 18.020 seconds as testing resumed after a Christmas break - more than a second faster than Toyota test driver Ricardo Zonta in the Japanese team's new TF106 car.

Coulthard's laps in the new Red Bull were restricted by a failure

Zonta's team-mate Ralf Schumacher was third fastest, ahead of world champion Fernando Alonso in a modified version of last year's Renault and Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer.

Alonso was just over 0.6secs faster than Fisichella - and encouraging sign for the first day's testing of a new car, which was also giving the team's new V8 engine its debut run.

Coulthard was slowest of all after being hit by a mechanical problem early in the day that left him stranded out on the track

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport...one/4599972.stm

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=26824

...Toyota test driver Ricardo Zonta in the Japanese team's new TF106 car.

...Zonta's team-mate Ralf Schumacher was third fastest, ahead of world champion Fernando Alonso in a modified version of last year's Renault and Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer.

Both the Toyota drivers were using 2006 cars, according to PF1.

Renault happy with first R26 run

'I felt comfortable straight away' - Fisichella

Source Renault

fisichella-test-z1-02_100106.jpg

Valuable mileage in the new V8 powered R26

The R26 completed its first laps today at Jerez, with Giancarlo Fisichella at the wheel. Fernando Alonso began working alongside his team-mate in the R25.

The Renault F1 Team today began its first day of testing in 2006, marking the occasion with the introduction of its 2006 challenger, the R26.

The new car completed its first installation lap at 09:10 with Fisichella at the wheel, prior to undergoing initial checks. More exploratory work followed, gradually building up the length of the runs in order to complete mileage with the new car.

Inevitably, running was punctuated by lengthy checks to on-board systems and components, with the team going about its initial programme in a prudent manner. The day also saw the track debut of the RS26 V8 engine on track, which ran without incident as it completed nearly 200km.

Driving last year's R25, Fernando Alonso's programme got off to a slow start as cold temperatures prevented useful running. He then concentrated on brake development throughout the afternoon.

Giancarlo Fisichella

"We had a very promising first day with the R26. I felt comfortable straight away, and the programme was to do as much mileage as possible, while proceeding with all the checks you have to do on a new car. This wasn't a day to go for lap-times, and it was hard to get the tyres working in the cold temperatures. The V8 engine felt very good, similar to our predictions and it was reliable for the first run. My first impression is that this is a car with a lot of potential."

Bob Bell, Chassis Technical Director

"Today was the first milestone on the road to the opening race of the season in Bahrain. The R26-RS26 project has put everybody in the team to the test over the winter, and they delivered today when the car ran on time, on the day we planned nearly a year ago. After our initial installation laps, our work proceeded smoothly. As with any new car, there were some minor issues to resolve, but we did not encounter any major problems and gradually began completing some longer runs."

"The purpose of the day was very simple: to put miles on the new package. From what Giancarlo could tell, the car is responding in the same way as the R25

Both the Toyota drivers were using 2006 cars, according to PF1.

who denied that :eusa_think:

Coulthard's laps in the new Red Bull were restricted by a failure

Coulthard was slowest of all after being hit by a mechanical problem early in the day that left him stranded out on the track

more on Coulthard;from F1racing.net

After its preliminary two day shakedown at Silverstone in December, the Red Bull RB2 began a four day test at the Jerez de la Frontera circuit in Southern Spain. David completed 31 laps with track time being lost through an electrical fault that left the car stranded out on the track.

"It was something of a scrappy day," commented technical director Mark Smith. "Our priority today had been to see if we had solved the cooling problem we encountered at Silverstone and the short answer is that we have not. However, it did not prevent us from running. We went for the short term fix of additional holes in the bodywork, and we were able to begin work on seeing how the new car reacts to set-up changes, while also embarking on a tyre test programme that takes into account the fact we will once again be able to change tyres during the races this season

z044.jpg

the solution being talked about by mark smith,is drilling holes lol!,they are encountering teething cooling problems ,in the winter :yikes:

Do you think it is regularity that Schumi the first??

Its testing. Also 3 team are testing their new car so they are more interested in finding problems than posting fast laps.

Ashwin, I was the one who thought only RB and Renault would take to the track with their 2006 specs.

And you are right, cooling problems in the middle of Spanish wwinter, can't be good for Bahrain. The car (RB2) will look like a swiss cheese come race weekend :D

Red Bull already in trouble with cooling it seems. Not a good sign as I thought it would be less of a vital area due to the way the engines have been downgraded from a 3 litre V10 to a 2.4 litre V8. They must be having serious teething troubles if they have to drill holes in the winter. They should fix it in time for the first two races, Bahrain and Malaysia, which by the way are the two hottest races on the calendar, races where sufficient cooling is vital!

Do you think it is regularity that Schumi the first??

54562.jpg

Marc Gene

54563.jpg

M Schumacher

gene was testing a f2005

MS was testing on a f2004 (note,not f2004M,the 2004 chassis with 2005 aero regs)

on 16th dec ,he tested on a f2004M(note ,in the pic,how there are only two tiers and not 3 and howmuch lower the front wing is), and his fastest lap on 16th dec came on a 1 lap stint

yesterday his fastest lap came on a 6 lap stint

so the time difference,taking into account the fuel load variation is close to a sec

so the only conclusion we can make is,

the f2005 did not recover all the lost downforce(but the other teams did),that is what MS and ROSS Brawn, have been telling for quite some time now,so nothing new

now ,coming to the point as to why they fitted a f2004 with the v8's

(1) tyre changes are back,and f2004 was designed for allowing tyre changes during races, and they would by now know from their simulations in the factory as to exactly howmuch downforce the f2006 can generate,perhaps they were simulating that on a race track,using the F2004,to get as accurate a data on tyre wear

and they were comparing it with the modified f2005 ,to see the difference in tyre wear,and to test various compounds

(2) also the f2006 is slated to make its track debut at the Fiorano test track next week, the initial weeks would be spent on system checks ,and other such reliability issues

so to do some meaningful setup and tyre tests they have run the F2004 (and will perhaps do so for few weeks) after which the F2006 will take over testing duties

conclusion:these times mean nothing ,with regards to how quick the f2006 will be at baharain

they are just using the old car for some meaning ful tyre testing

thats it

testing schedule- 2006

28 February Silverstone

27 February Silverstone

23 February Barcelona

22 February Barcelona

21 February Barcelona

17 February Valencia

16 February Valencia

15 February Valencia

14 February Valencia

10 February Jerez

9 February Jerez

8 February Jerez

7 February Jerez

3 February Silverstone

27 January Barcelona

26 January Barcelona

25 January Barcelona

20 January Jerez

20 January Silverstone

19 January Silverstone

19 January Jerez

18 January Silverstone

18 January Jerez

17 January Silverstone

17 January Valencia

17 January Jerez

16 January Valencia

15 January Jerez

14 January Jerez

13 January Jerez

12 January Jerez

11 January Jerez

10 January Jerez

F1racing.net

another reason for ferrari using f2004

from homeofsport.com

Why 'F2004' is still clocking up miles - 11 January 2006

Ferrari has moved to clear up a little mystery.

The Maranello based team is running this week at Jerez (Spain) with two cars. The first, driven by Luca Badoer, is the V10-powered 2005 model, rev-limited to imitate new rules.

Steered by Michael Schumacher, the other 'interim' chassis is fitted with a new V8 engine - but it's the two-year-old 'F2004' machine.

It has raised speculation that Ferrari deem the V8-powered 2004 car to be a better indication of how the F2006 will behave, with tyre rules similar to those of '04.

Or perhaps the red-clad team has decided that the development route of last year's car was wrong, and will therefore attempt to resume where '04 - when the team collected fifteen wins - left off.

'Our new V8 engine simply does not fit in the F2005 chassis,' a Ferrari spokeswoman clarified to f1total.com.

The 2.4 litre power plant, however, does fit in the less tightly-packaged old car.

Fear not, though, if you think Ferrari might tread the familiar pattern of kicking off the new season with an 'interim' car - which is, this time around, in effect two years old.

The F2006, to be launched late this month, will definitely appear for the first race of the year, in Bahrain. It will reportedly be shaken down at the private Fiorano circuit next week