Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

The Official Testing Thread

Lots of new members recently - we must be doing something right even if it does often seem like all we do is fight!

We don't fight. We discuss..... :rolleyes:

cheers ashwin for the extra info, thats a lot more promising that JB is setting those times in long runs. Honda are now on their 3rd seamless shift gearbox, they have been using them since 2004. Mclaren too have been using them for a while!

cheers ashwin for the extra info, thats a lot more promising that JB is setting those times in long runs. Honda are now on their 3rd seamless shift gearbox, they have been using them since 2004. Mclaren too have been using them for a while!

Jenson, are you still going to talk about JB non-stop when he struggles mid-pack during the season?

Don't take this the wrong way :D

How many fuel cells are they running?

Lots of new members recently - we must be doing something right even if it does often seem like all we do is fight!

You'd be surprised at the number of people who read the forum. A lot of lurking members, and guests. Remember the forum is googlable, if you look at the last click list people are reading all kinds of old topics.

Jenson, are you still going to talk about JB non-stop when he struggles mid-pack during the season?

You can't complain about Ben (jenson rules) talking about Button - this website is over-run with members who try and relate everything to Villeneuve and BMW!!

You can't complain about Ben (jenson rules) talking about Button - this website is over-run with members who try and relate everything to Villeneuve and BMW!!

yeah well! It is what it is I suppose! <_<

Three venues for F1 test action

Three different test venues, in three different European countries, hosted formula one action on Tuesday. At Jerez (Spain), Alex Wurz led a field of eight - made up of four separate teams - as he tried Williams' new FW28 for the first time. ''I feel quite comfortable with it already,'' said the Austrian 'Friday' driver. Honda, with both 2006 race drivers present in new cars, trailed the 32-year-old's pace, followed by two TF106 Toyotas. Christijan Albers gave Midland-owned MF1's 2006 runner, the M16, its maiden group debut, despite rumblings in pitlane of a gearbox problem. The new car, anyway, proved about a second per lap quicker than teammate Tiago Monteiro's '05-spec Jordan. Although a little damp, a freezing cold Silverstone (England) track actually proved ideal for Red Bull Racing, which has struggled to run its new 'RB2' elsewhere due to an overheating problem. Robert Doornbos steered the revised car, while at Fiorano (Italy), Michael Schumacher put 121 more laps on Ferrari's new '248' model.

That is BS. When BMW isn't testing there is hardly a word about JV, Honda and JB have been the topic lately, like they should be. They are testing and are on top. When BMW hits the track today I image the JV NH fans will be here to discuss the days results. That is what I thought a forum was for.

I would expect Williams fans to be pretty talkative as well. The team is surprising everyone early on.

I don't see anything wrong with JB fans discussing JB. Good grief he and Honda are testing and are on top. Why wouldn't Ben be discussing JB/Honda!!!! I wouldn't expect anything else

Speed to Test New Toro Rosso on Friday

Written by: RACER staff

London, UK – 2/8/2006 Speed will watch Liuzzi make the STR1's track debut tomorrow ahead of his own seat time in the new car on Friday. (LAT Photo)

American Scott Speed will have to wait an extra day to sample the Scuderia Toro Rosso's new STR1 challenger, set to make its track debut tomorrow at the Jerez circuit in Spain with Italian Vitantonio Liuzzi behind the wheel.

According to autosport.com, Speed will get seat time on Friday as the team has only one completed chassis of its first-ever Formula 1 contender -- Toro Rosso has so far tested with a hybrid version of last year's Red Bull RB1.

"We're very excited about the new car," the Californian told SPEEDTV.com last month. "If everything goes well with it we can score points on a regular basis [this season]."

In spite of ongoing protests from some of its rivals, the STR1 will be the only car in F1's 2006 grid powered by a restricted Cosworth V10 instead of the new 2.4-liter V8 engines.

speed tv(who else :rolleyes2: )

http://blog.renaultf1.com/index.php/2006/0...g-8-10-february

Jerez Testing, 8-10 February

By RF1 Paddock Pass, Wednesday 8 February 2006

Finaly!!!!! Two F1.06's!!!! Woohooo :clap3: !! Impressive times by both JV and NH I find!! This is good tho, two F1.06's will do alot of good to BMW! :)

*edit*

WTF?!?!? BMW-Sauber are missing a chimney on one side of the car!!! Anyone care to explain this to me :eusa_think:

Driver's right side (no chimney)

55852.jpg

Driver's left side (chimney)

55831.jpg

Front view

55841.jpg

February 8 2006

1 F. Alonso Renault 01:16.956 89

2 J. Button Honda 01:17.114 58

3 JP. Montoya McLaren 01:17.273 53

4 P. de la Rosa McLaren 01:17.425 109

5 R. Barrichello Honda 01:17.492 60

6 N. Heidfeld BMW 01:17.588 116

7 J. Villeneuve BMW 01:18.069 91

8 M. Webber Williams 01:18.281 86

9 H. Kovalainen Renault 01:18.938 77

10 J. Trulli Toyota 01:19.430 103

11 R. Schumacher Toyota 01:19.681 84

12 N. Rosberg Williams 01:19.965 29

13 T. Monteiro Midland F1 01:21.911 29

McLaren brought a revised version of their V8 engine to Jerez today, and the improvements seemed to work, pushing Juan Pablo Montoya into third place in the teams MP4-21.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick Heidfeld:

Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.06-02 / BMW P86 V8

Test kilometres today: 505 km (114 laps)

Fastest lap: 1:17.584 min (lap 52)

Programme: Nick worked on the set-up of the car, and absolved long and short runs to evaluate Michelin tyres for the Malaysian Grand Prix in Sepang in March.

Jacques Villeneuve:

Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.06-03 / BMW P86 V8

Test kilometres today: 407 km (92 laps)

Fastest lap: 1:18.055 min (lap 48 )

Programme: Jacques did the roll-out of the new chassis and particularly in the morning worked on the set-up of the car. In addition, he tested tyres for the race in Bahrain.

What comes next:

Tomorrow Nick will verify the Bahrain tyre test data that Jacques gathered today, and will continue to work on the set-up. Jacques will assess further tyre options for the

Grand Prix of Bahrain.

Hmmmmmm interesting Sidepod.....BMW seem to be giving JV the set-up work (both of new chassis and Bahrain)! Wow this is promising and shows that BMW have some trust in him!! :):) :) !!!!

Anyone can help me on the uni-chimney (view my post above) and why they used it!?!? Which way does the track trun!? Counter clock wise!? If so would that give them an edge in the left hand turns or something!!? Clueless and perplexe...

Anyone can help me on the uni-chimney (view my post above) and why they used it!?!? Which way does the track trun!? Counter clock wise!? If so would that give them an edge in the left hand turns or something!!? Clueless and perplexe...

Hi Ben, maybe there is a clue in the link below on the Sauber Chimney for 2005...u could also check the tech specs for 2006 from the link below... hope u find the link interesting... :coffee:

http://www.formula1.com/insight/technical_...2005/7/168.html

Hi Ben, maybe there is a clue in the link below on the Sauber Chimney for 2005...u could also check the tech specs for 2006 from the link below... hope u find the link interesting... :coffee:

http://www.formula1.com/insight/technical_...2005/7/168.html

Thank you, I appreciate you trying to help but unfortunatly this does not help.

The point of the chimneys on teh C24 was/is when they are closed to diver air flow away from the rear tyres in order to reduce drag and turbulence. However I do not know if this year's chimneys are designed differently in order to produce some sort of down force. If it does then I might understand when they only have one of the side corseponding to the clock wise or anti clock wise direction of the track and maybe helping the car in the majority of the turns. However I don't know if this theory makes sense and was more searching for a response from others on this point (the track sense of Jerez and if the chimneys help downforce wise enough to help the car around turns).

And yes the JV fans are a jolly optimistic bunch :)

Thank you, I appreciate you trying to help but unfortunatly this does not help.

The point of the chimneys on teh C24 was/is when they are closed to diver air flow away from the rear tyres in order to reduce drag and turbulence. However I do not know if this year's chimneys are designed differently in order to produce some sort of down force. If it does then I might understand when they only have one of the side corseponding to the clock wise or anti clock wise direction of the track and maybe helping the car in the majority of the turns. However I don't know if this theory makes sense and was more searching for a response from others on this point (the track sense of Jerez and if the chimneys help downforce wise enough to help the car around turns).

And yes the JV fans are a jolly optimistic bunch :)

Interesting theory, because I guess the chimney has some impact on the aerodynamics, and it is negative since the teams don't use them unless they have to. Can't be muh though, must be of a similar order to the Ferrari assymetrical mirrors.

This is much better presentation - you have gotten your avtar et al , you are absolutely on the money! Plus Honda are looking very competetive.

yeah well! It is what it is I suppose! <_<

We can't really complain about people talking ip their driver & team, that's what F1 is about. I am particulary impressed with Honda and I am begining to seriously give JB a serious look - he is looking very good for 2006 and I know I have been saying that RB will carry the day - with current evidence I would think that JB will walk it quite easily!

I did last season. I am a jenson fan till the end!

Thanks Ksajoe for those nice comments. I wish you and ferrari a good season. The more competativ cars the better :)

plus we must thank THE BANNERATOR for my lovely new sig pic. Thanks ecap :cheers::)

Allright officialy clueless as to wtf BMW-Sauber were up to with mono-chimney. Did some research and Jerez is clockwise. Thus my theory doesn't hold water since it would have to be on driver's righthand side to help in the majority of turns. It cannot be for cooling a specific part either since it is closed. Even weirder both JV and NH had the mono-chimney! Someone help me I am sooooo confused!!

Here, will ITV be doing another pre season show about the progress the teams are making like they did last year, or will this be in the pre-season show the sunday before the new season begins?

Rollout of the second BMW Sauber F1.06

On Wednesday, the BMW Sauber F1 Team commenced another three-day test programme. Conditions at the 4.428 kilometre "Jerez Circuit" were ideal, as Jacques Villeneuve carried out the rollout of the second BMW Sauber F1.06 chassis.

A total of 13 cars took to the track at Jerez de la Frontera today. For the first time, both BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers completed their scheduled programmes in the new BMW Sauber F1.06. It was Jacques who was behind the wheel at the rollout of the second chassis. In the morning, the Canadian particularly worked on the set-up of the car. In addition, he tested tyres for the race in Bahrain. Jacques completed a total of 92 laps, setting a personal best time of 1:18.055 minutes.

He was joined by Nick Heidfeld who covered an impressive distance of 505 kilometres or 114 laps. Nick worked on the set-up as well and completed long and short runs to evaluate Michelin tyres for the Malaysian Grand Prix in Sepang in March. He set a personal best time of 1:17.584 minutes. Renault

then when the discussion hits a brick wall, we fight
not fight, moreso the discussion becomes rather vigorous.

whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge. Button is doing well in testing and you still find something to sulk about... ;)

Now, onto the serious business of testing. Renault and Honda look strong, again whilst JPM has done a good job. JV is about .5 slower than Nick, but the report mentions Nick was doing both long and short runs, whilst JV was working on setup and tyre work, so that may explain abit of the gap. Both cars ran alot of laps and again were very respectable. Very pleased to see them run 2 F1.06 cars as well. A good day overall.